Question Which SSD should I buy for long term reliability?

xBHSx

Reputable
Mar 26, 2020
Hello,
I am considering buying a new SSD since currently I have a Kingston A400 120 GB SSD for my OS, which works fine (it got lil bit slower since I bought it 3 years ago).
Now I want to buy a reliable SSD with decent read/write speed to store my games. I've been searching and reading reviews online and found these 3 SSD which fits my budget but reading the reviews was very mixed since some of them were fast but not reliable, and some of them were slow but somewhat reliable,.
Can some one help me choose which one should I buy or is there better options other than these 3?

My Max Budget: 30$

I need the SSD to be in 2.5 form factor.

SSD1: SP 512GB SSD (reviews say: its reliable but not fast)
SSD2: TEAMGROUP T-Force Vulcan Z 512GB ( reviews say: its fast but when cache is full its very slow)
SSD3: PNY CS900 500GB (reviews say: its fast but mostly stops working with in a year)

Motherboard: Asus B85M-E
CPU: i5-4590
RAM: 8GB DDR3 1600mhz
GPU: GTX 750ti

My system usage is general, like playing games, surfing web and little bit video/image editing.

Last edited:
There is a reason why cheap ssd devices are cheap.
But, if you only have $30 to spend, you have little choice.
The one thing you should care about is reliability.
A flaky ssd can cause you all sorts of hard to diagnose problems.
While samsung has had some current endurance issues, they do not apply to the 870 EVO 2.5" devices.
Puget systems found NO in field failures for samsung ssd's:

See if you can't save up to $75 for a 1tb 870 evo.
Games are getting larger.
https://www.newegg.com/samsung-1tb-...6820147793?Item=9SIBHKXJCC8369&quicklink=true

Jan 13, 2023
Agreed on the 1TB. Better to have more space for a little future proofing since applications aren't getting smaller. If you wait a few months, you might see some drops in prices. Storage has been getting cheaper over the last few months. Save your money and get something good a little ways down the road, that way you don't buy something now to soon have to buy something else later.