[SOLVED] Which SSD to buy for Dell XPS 9500

ritagoldberg

Honorable
Sep 21, 2014
I have a Dell XPS 8900 with a large hard drive (D) and a small SSD (C:, 256GB) that has run of of space. I'd like add a second, much larger SSD, but I need some help. Here are my questions:

1. Is there a particular brand, model and size that you would recommend?
  2. If I install this third drive, will the programs that have run out of space on my current SSD work OK on the new one?
  3. Will I have to uninstall some of my programs from the old SSD and install them on the new one?
  4. Will new programs install on the new drive automatically?
  5. I see that it's necessary to get some screws and other odds and ends in order to install the new SSD. Can I be confident that they will be available?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Solution
1. That's entirely up to your budget. Tons of reliable brands out there, I only go for those rated 5 stars. Faster models will cost more, so defer to your budget. Size will also effect cost, it's really up to how much you want to spend vs how much storage space you want/need. Check out PCPartPicker to compare different models and prices, use the options on the left side to filter results.

2. Yes, there's no reason why they wouldn't. Just make sure you're moving them properly. The data from some apps might be stored on a different drive, assuming the apps are on a different drive from the one your OS is installed on. You may or may not need to redefine the file paths depending on the program. Each one is unique, you'll have to...
1. That's entirely up to your budget. Tons of reliable brands out there, I only go for those rated 5 stars. Faster models will cost more, so defer to your budget. Size will also effect cost, it's really up to how much you want to spend vs how much storage space you want/need. Check out PCPartPicker to compare different models and prices, use the options on the left side to filter results.

2. Yes, there's no reason why they wouldn't. Just make sure you're moving them properly. The data from some apps might be stored on a different drive, assuming the apps are on a different drive from the one your OS is installed on. You may or may not need to redefine the file paths depending on the program. Each one is unique, you'll have to check with them individually. I'd recommend a full uninstall then reinstall from the old drive to the new one.

3. You should uninstall the ones you want to move to the new drive and reinstall them there. This looks like a prebuilt PC, so most likely your OS is located on the smaller SSD drive. Keep that there, and move everything else (like any apps, games, etc) off of it.

4. No, you'll have to do that yourself. Once you install a new drive, it's just an empty drive. Either move the files over manually, or, more reliably, uninstall the programs and reinstall them on the new drive to insure that no necessary files are missing.

5. That depends on if your PC came with a hardware pack. Generally, when building your own PC, the case will come with all the mounting screws needed. If it didn't, you will have to find some that match whatever threating that case comes with. You might also need an additional SATA data cable if your PC didn't come with that either. I'd also check to see if the SATA power cable coming off the PSU has an open slot for an additional drive. Most of those cables come with 3 or 4 open ends to power drives or other SATA powered components. Don't forget to check if that case even has a place to mount the new drive. It will either have a 2.5" drive slot, or possibly a 3.5" HDD tray, which can be converted to 2.5" with a simple kit.

Solution