Which stability tests to use for AMD8350 O.C.?

monolopino

Honorable
Feb 13, 2013
Hey everybody, noob here building my first pc. Here are my components:

ASUS Sabertooth 990FX R2.0 Mobo
AMD FX8350 4.0GHz 8-Core
Arctic Freezer A30 Cooler
G.Skill Ares 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3 1866 Memory
HIS Radeon HD 7750 1GB GDDR5 - CrossFireX Ready
Kingston HyperX SSD 120GB 2.5"
ASUS Blu-ray Burner
ASUS PCE-N15 Wireless Adapter
NZXT Phantom 410 Black Case
OZC ZX Series 1250W Fully Modular 80+ Gold
Windows 8 Pro

I will add 1, maybe 2 more video cards for CrossFire in the future, as well as storage. For now though I definitely look forward to the build. Question is, when I finish getting it all together, what should I use for stability tests? I most definitely will overclock.

Robert Pankiw

Honorable
Mar 26, 2012
OCCT (overclock checking tool) is free for personal use. Using HWMonitor to check temps while OCCT runs is useful (though OCCT provides everything you need.)

Why are you choosing a 7750?

Your power supply is VERY overkill, there is no need for that much wattage. Do you need the extra cables or something?

A single card is generally preferable over many cards. Micro stuttering can be an issue in multi card setups. The money you save by getting a more appropriate PSU will let you buy a better GPU. Are the parts already purchased? What is your budget? Where are you buying? (Ignore that is you are dead set on getting a 7750)

monolopino

Honorable
Feb 13, 2013
looking on newegg (and frys, tigerdirect) i felt the value and price was right for that particular card. i planned on getting 1 or 2 more of the same for crossfire, and adding storage and fans. that's the reason for the psu wattage (i admit it's still probably overkill, but after spending $1100 on everything else i wanted to be sure that i would have enough power). ups should be here soon with the order.

i'm looking to use autocad in the future as well. any other recommended stress tests?

Robert Pankiw

Honorable
Mar 26, 2012
OCCT does just about everything. Prime95 is accepted for generating a huge amount of CPU heat (though, it should leave the GPU alone, mostly). Furmark is the GPU stress tester you might be looking for (I've never used it).

I don't use CAD programs, so I can't help you there. Your build is good, just not optimal (my opinion, coming from someone who doesn't do what you want to do with your build).

If you plan on having a large number of hard drives, that would justify your PSU choice. I assume you have other storage means, other than the 1 SSD? Regardless, it is a nice build, I hope it works very well for you. :) Keep asking any questions you need to.