Status
Not open for further replies.

Destroysall

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2010
Okay, I was planning on purchasing a new mouse and mousepad with my new monitor this upcoming Fall. However, I've been dying to get my hands on some better audio sources. I am now stuck on what to pick. The monitor is sort of a for sure thing, as I'm using a really super old HP LCD DVI monitor.

But as far as other upgrades go, I had my heart set on these for mouse/mouspad:

-Mionix Naos (either 5000 or 3200, not really sure)

-Mionix Propus 380 Mousepad to go along with the mouse.

It's either that, or I invest in a sound card and stuff to go with that:

-Asus Xonar Essense STX Sound Card

-Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 Speaker setup or the some really good headphones (Sennheiser HD 555 or HD 595).

What would you guys pick?? As far as mouses go, I kinda like the mouse I'm using now (old Optical Lenovo), so I'm not sure if I should just hold out on a new mouse and mousepad now or what?

Solution
Go to a computer store, and try out diferent mice. See how they feel to YOUR hands.

A good mousepad is a good idea if you don't have one.

Onboard sound is very good. I doubt that you would get much benefit from a discrete card.

If you normally use headphones, then go that route. If you don't get a good speaker system first. Headphones can take some getting used to.

Primarily, get a great monitor. It is one of the few "future proof" purchases you can make.
Keep your old monitor as a second monitor for e-mail and performance monitors.

Destroysall

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2010
So you can hear a lot things from the outside?? I heard open headphones are better? If so, not too sure why though. I plan to use my headphones for both Music Production and Listening. Maybe some gaming, but I'm really only a casual gamer and don't play too much. Also to add on, I won't be using these outside, just inside. I might buy separate headphones/earphones for outside use.

Anyways, you suggesting I should go with the Sound Card and Headphones/Speaker set instead of the mouse and mouse pad??

Go to a computer store, and try out diferent mice. See how they feel to YOUR hands.

A good mousepad is a good idea if you don't have one.

Onboard sound is very good. I doubt that you would get much benefit from a discrete card.

If you normally use headphones, then go that route. If you don't get a good speaker system first. Headphones can take some getting used to.

Primarily, get a great monitor. It is one of the few "future proof" purchases you can make.
Keep your old monitor as a second monitor for e-mail and performance monitors.

Solution

Destroysall

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2010
I did get to try the Mionix Naos earlier in the week, and it was the most comfortable to me. It was way more comfortable then the Steelseries Ikari. I also did try the Logitech G9 that my friend has, and it was comfortable, but I did want something for both my ring and pinky fingers to rest on. Anyways, I will get a new mousepad, that is for sure as mine is wearing up on me.

I'm don't normally use headphones, but I do wish to get some to use for Music Production. But I do see what you mean, I might get the speaker system first.

David 617

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2011
not suggesting either one, just saying that dont plan to use the 595's in a noisy env. or in a place where others dont want to be bothered.
the sound quality is great and they are amazingly comfortable. you can wear for hours w/o any discomfort. (alot of comfort is b/c they are open so they let your ears breath)

Destroysall

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2010

All of my PC/Mac gear are in my office, and I'm usually the only one there when writing music. However, I do wish to know, for when recording, what would be a good closed headphone set? I don't need anything with mics built in, so only headphones preferred.

David 617

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2011
im a big fan of senhiesser, so id go with a one of their closed ones. one thing though, i had the audio tecnika m50's and i would not recommend them. the base was so heavy that it was painful.

Status
Not open for further replies.