[SOLVED] Which version of the Maxthon browser will work on my Windows XP laptop?

SmilinDoug

Prominent
Jul 19, 2019
I'm working on another project. I've got a Compaq Presario 1255 laptop. The CPU is running at 360MHz, the RAM is 288MB, and the HD is 40GB's. I've got Windows XP SP3 32-bit for an operating system.

I've tried the Maxthon Browser version 4.9.5.1000, also version 4.4.5.1000, and also version 4.4.4.3000, and none of them will install.

I was wondering about the minimum requirements for running the Maxthon browser were. I found I can't install Max 3 or Max 5, but I can't find the minimum requirements for Maxthon 2. Do any of you guys know?

I was thinking the speed of this laptop might be too slow or it didn't have enough RAM.

In the past I've tried Slimjet, Slimbrowser, SeaMonkey, and Avant, but I'm not too happy with them. I'd really like to try this Maxthon. Thanks for any help you guys could give me.

Solution
Do you old computer CPU have SSE2 instruction? If not, you won't get any modern web browser to work. Possible unless you're using Firefox ES version (it ships with the Bunsenlabs distro).

SmilinDoug

Prominent
Jul 19, 2019
I've got Panda Dome installed on that laptop and I need to check my email from them. I should have an activation code in the email that I'm supposed to click on. That way I get updates from them. I always use my Linux computer for emails, and I was thinking maybe they don't have that tab in the email because I was using the Linux computer.

I also just want to browse the web. This laptop is just a project to keep myself busy. This Maxthon browser they say uses a cloud, so it's supposed to run faster. Just like the Panda Dome anti-virus software.

The CPU is running at 360MHz, the RAM is 288MB
Oh good lord, I still have a VAIO circa 2000, 700 MHz, 512 ram, and it runs like molasses, on last incarnation of XP. The only reason I haven't thrown it into the trash is, I have these 2 32 bit Apps that is guaranteed to run on it, while am getting hit&miss running them as VM on a more recent machine. Can't wait to be able to move away from these dinosaur apps.

Reactions: SmilinDoug

SmilinDoug

Prominent
Jul 19, 2019
I've got a desktop with XP also. I'm keeping that going because I've got a really nice scanner that only works with XP or 2000. The pictures come out very good. Plus I've got some engine building software on that same desktop. Oh, and I've got training software to learn how to fly RC planes too.