Question Which Versions Of The GTX 1650 Will Fit In My SFF Optiplex 790?

DellvlloN

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2016
Hello, Guys and Gals! I have a SFF Optiplex 790 (the one that actually has the 2 PCI-Express slots)

I definitely want to upgrade this system; got a great deal on it as it came with the I7-3770s, 8GB of DDR3 RAM and a 500GB Mechanical Hard Drive. I then installed a 256GB Crucial SSD without having to sacrifice the DVD-RW; my PSU came with a second power head on the cable leading to the hard drive, so I simply used it as the power source for my SSD, ran the original drive's SATA cable to the SSD and then added an extra SATA cable to the original mechanical drive. I positioned the SSD underneath the mechanical drive, lowered the caddy back into position, and voila, but I digress.

The problem I am now faced with is finding an appropriately sized 1650 to fit inside of my case. Given that the Gigabyte GTX 1050 TI OC Windforce Low Profile version that I know will fit in this system (I've built one already), I was originally just going to use that same card again, but now I am seeing that many of the 1650 cards are selling for around $20.00 more, so I figure "why not upgrade?" I've been eyeing this particular card: ASUS GeForce GTX 1650 Phoenix OC Edition (PH-GTX1650-O4G) because it APPEARS to be the same size as the aforementioned 1050 TI and I've found it for under $150 new, so I'd like to buy it, but I am trepidatious due to my inability to confirm that card will fit in my system, or if it even comes with the low profile bracket.

Given the system is a SFF computer, I will have to rely on the PCI-Express slot for full power and I would like to stay between the $130-$150 range. Can some of you guys give me some feedback here? I'd greatly appreciate it.

DellvlloN

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2016
790sff_04_2000x.jpg

The Phoenix is a dual slot card - it won't fit.
These 2 models appear to be the only recent single slot options: https://pcpartpicker.com/products/compare/4qKcCJ,pPcRsY/

There are two available slots on the Optiplex. The Gigabyte GTX 1050 TI Low Profile card I used in a previous build was dual slot but fit just fine once the low profile bracket was swapped with the original size one.

[EDIT] By the way, thank you for your response to my message!

Last edited:

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
i have one of these

https://www.msi.com/Graphics-card/GeForce-GTX-1650-SUPER-AERO-ITX-OC

it's real short and dual slot. but its a skinny dual slot so does not completely cover both slots. i assume the reg 1650 version is the same size.

they also make this one

DellvlloN

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2016
i have one of these

https://www.msi.com/Graphics-card/GeForce-GTX-1650-SUPER-AERO-ITX-OC

it's real short and dual slot. but its a skinny dual slot so does not completely cover both slots. i assume the reg 1650 version is the same size.

they also make this one

I opted to go for this card: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B086VQ6ZVT ; the MSI GTX 1650 D6 AERO ITX OC edition. Thank you so much for your input. I will absolutely keep you guys informed as to fitting concerns and performance once the card has arrived (should be here just before Independence Day).

To Phaaze88, thank you for your feedback too. Believe it or not, with the case being as small as it is, the temperatures are rather impressive (at least the same computer with the 1050 TI OC Windforce did) with how cool the system is. The metal grating on the front allows for plenty of breathability. I was initially concerned about that as well, but luckily, in the 1050 TI system, it wasn't an issue. I will let you know what the conditions are with the 1650 once it arrives and is installed.

Reactions: Phaaze88

gamenadez

Commendable
Feb 17, 2018
I opted to go for this card: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B086VQ6ZVT ; the MSI GTX 1650 D6 AERO ITX OC edition. Thank you so much for your input. I will absolutely keep you guys informed as to fitting concerns and performance once the card has arrived (should be here just before Independence Day).

To Phaaze88, thank you for your feedback too. Believe it or not, with the case being as small as it is, the temperatures are rather impressive (at least the same computer with the 1050 TI OC Windforce did) with how cool the system is. The metal grating on the front allows for plenty of breathability. I was initially concerned about that as well, but luckily, in the 1050 TI system, it wasn't an issue. I will let you know what the conditions are with the 1650 once it arrives and is installed.

Will that fit on SFF Optiplex 790? That Mini ITX GPU..That GPU use a standard bracket size not a Low Profile for SFF. You wont be able to close the case.

Optiplex has 4 Type.
USFF - Cant use graphic card.
SFF - Can Only fit Low Profile GPU
DT - Can Put Mini ITX and Normal GPU with Riser.
MT - Can use Standard GPU..

DellvlloN

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2016
i linked a low profile model as well. if the itx model is too tall, then that would be the best choice.

I am confused. I presumed both cards you suggested would fit into my SFF Optiplex? I already placed the order but I can change it if need be since it's not yet been shipped. Please let me know what I should do!

Edit - Presuming the card itself will fit inside of the case with the side panel on, if worse comes to worse, couldn't I mod the bracket (cut off the bottom parts of the bracket slots that goes into the pc)? The card I ordered does say that it comes with a standard ITX bracket in addition to the one that I presume will be on it?

Last edited:

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
the itx card is not as long to fit into shorter spaces and it's stays within the 2 slot width to avoid hitting other things.

low profile means the height of the card is shorter for thinner cases. it seems you have the thinner case that could use a low profile card.

note that it is not as tall as the slot is with the low profile card

511Hy7SM45L._AC_SL1024_.jpg

normally they come with a second bracket as well in case the case is so skinny the normal bracket is too tall.

DellvlloN

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2016
the itx card is not as long to fit into shorter spaces and it's stays within the 2 slot width to avoid hitting other things.

low profile means the height of the card is shorter for thinner cases. it seems you have the thinner case that could use a low profile card.

note that it is not as tall as the slot is with the low profile card

normally they come with a second bracket as well in case the case is so skinny the normal bracket is too tall.

According to my Optiplex, its dimensions are: 13.40 x 12.40 x 3.65 inches (for our purposes, that would be the height). Amazon says that the card I ordered (the ITX GDDR6 variant's) dimensions are: 6.70 x 1.50 x 4.40 inches. From the way I am reading that, the card will be too tall to put the side panel back on... I hope that isn't the case. Again, I am not above modding the back panel's bottom pegs to have the card fit.

From the way I am reading that, the card will be too tall to put the side panel back on... I hope that isn't the case. Again, I am not above modding the back panel's bottom pegs to have the card fit.
This is not your main issue, but one of the issues. A GTX 1650 or 1050 may not fit because they might be too long when you put the HDD back in place, because the wires will be in the way. The other issue is that if you truly do have an Optiplex 790, you would actually have an i7-2600/2700 and the motherboards PCIE x16 slot has a 25watt limit. This means you are going to be limited to a GT 710 at 18-21watts.

Lastly, I believe you actually have an Optiplex 9000 series (or at least the motherboard) which come with the Core i 3000 series CPUs that you mention (i7-3770.) I've been reading conflicting information on the motherboard for that series and I'm still not sure on the actual specs. The PCIE x16 slot either supports 35watts, 45-55 watts or full spec 75watt. If it's 35watt, the best 35w GPU that I know of is a GT 1030 and the low profile versions should be shorter than 6 inches.

Edit - If it were me looking to upgrade the GPU, but keep the CPU, I would either get a used Dell mid tower case that fits the motherboard or a new ATX case, 550-650watt PSU and a used motherboard that supports an i7-3770.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
This is not your main issue, but one of the issues. A GTX 1650 or 1050 may not fit because they might be too long when you put the HDD back in place, because the wires will be in the way. The other issue is that if you truly do have an Optiplex 790, you would actually have an i7-2600/2700 and the motherboards PCIE x16 slot has a 25watt limit. This means you are going to be limited to a GT 710 at 18-21watts.

Lastly, I believe you actually have an Optiplex 9000 series (or at least the motherboard) which come with the Core i 3000 series CPUs that you mention (i7-3770.) I've been reading conflicting information on the motherboard for that series and I'm still not sure on the actual specs. The PCIE x16 slot either supports 35watts, 45-55 watts or full spec 75watt. If it's 35watt, the best 35w GPU that I know of is a GT 1030 and the low profile versions should be shorter than 6 inches.

Edit - If it were me looking to upgrade the GPU, but keep the CPU, I would either get a used Dell mid tower case that fits the motherboard or a new ATX case, 550-650watt PSU and a used motherboard that supports an i7-3770.

thanks for doing the leg work on the system. it can be hard to research all that if you're not sure what you are looking at.

i would suggest to the OP to open the case and measure how tall the card can be and compare it to the itx card. then look at how long it can be as well. this is likely the only way to be sure how much room there is. it's been hard for me in the past to find these numbers online and i've looked plenty.

DellvlloN

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2016

The picture I provided above is my exact system; an Optiplex 790 that came with an i5-2400 that was upgraded at some point before it came in my possession. This Dell PSU is a 240 Gold Certified; it powered the GTX 1050 TI OC Windforce edition without any noticeable bottlenecking even when powered with a weaker i5-3470. The card may be too tall to fit inside the case, but this system is plenty strong enough to accomodate 1080p 60FPS settings on high presets for most all games. I honestly just don't see the point in pairing another 1050TI to this stronger system when the 1650 has better performance at pretty much the same power requirements.

DellvlloN

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2016
Okay guys, I have cancelled the order on the card that was too large since it hadn't been shipped yet. What do you guys think about this card right here? It's the GDDR6 OC LP version that has a memory clock of 12,000MHz as opposed to the 7,000MHz and 8000MHz GDDR5 variants. Since they are the same price, which would you choose?

https://www.amazon.com/Tarjeta-gráfica-GIGABYTE-GeForce-GV-N1656OC-4GL/dp/B087R7V2Q6/
I actually missed that you had a GTX 1050 TI. Not sure why I msised it, but I'll just blame it on the heat of the day with my air conditioner having issues today.

Anyway, I personally don't see the GTX 1650 as a good upgrade over the 1050 TI. It's only around 15-25% faster, which may only be a 10-15fps increase depending on the game. I would have suggested earlier not to bother unless you really needed the extra performance. Measure or look at the specs for the GTX 1050 TI and comapre it to the GTX 1650.

This still leads me back to my previous statement of getting a bigger case and PSU to use a much faster GPU. The mid tower Dell cases that fit your motherboard should be capable of using standard ATX PSUs. I didn't look at all the different models, but the Optiplex 790, 7010 and 9010 mid tower cases will work. You could probably use a regular mid tower case as well, but I didn't look into how difficult that will be.

DellvlloN

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2016
I actually missed that you had a GTX 1050 TI. Not sure why I msised it, but I'll just blame it on the heat of the day with my air conditioner having issues today.

Anyway, I personally don't see the GTX 1650 as a good upgrade over the 1050 TI. It's only around 15-25% faster, which may only be a 10-15fps increase depending on the game. I would have suggested earlier not to bother unless you really needed the extra performance. Measure or look at the specs for the GTX 1050 TI and comapre it to the GTX 1650.

This system is being built as a "sleeper" system with the primary goal to have the system be small enough to fit inside of my friend's big rig (he's a cross-country trucker) that he can still get impressive 1080p gaming out of. As for the reason for my preference for the 1650 over the 1050 TI; honestly, it just comes down to the fact that they are similarly priced, the 1650's have more cuda cores, a much-higher memory clock, and--if I can find an appropriate one--GDDR6 memory over the standard GDDR5.

Building these computers help me in regards to price to performance, being small and discreet in appearance with some power tucked under the panel, and the relatively "plain" look of the tower itself will honestly deter most would-be thieves from even attempting to steal it. It's also a great way to get folks into PC gaming who think it's far too expensive, when in reality, if you know what you are looking for, you can build true console-killers, even outta secondhand corporate/educational/hospital used systems that are cheaper than the latest and future consoles. I just dig showing folks alternatives to the RGB-blinged out, liquid-cooled, flashy systems that are out there. There is definitely some folks who prefer the minimalistic approach.

Another reason I prefer SFF over MT systems is simply the fact that shipping costs are much cheaper in addition to being far easier to travel with. I have a MT Optiplex 9020 MT that is built in the same style as the 790 SFF, only at about twice the size of the SFF. I prefer the larger cases, but there is a micro-market in my area for these powerful (again, relatively) little SFF Dell's.

This system is being built as a "sleeper" system with the primary goal to have the system be small enough to fit inside of my friend's big rig (he's a cross-country trucker) that he can still get impressive 1080p gaming out of. As for the reason for my preference for the 1650 over the 1050 TI; honestly, it just comes down to the fact that they are similarly priced, the 1650's have more cuda cores, a much-higher memory clock, and--if I can find an appropriate one--GDDR6 memory over the standard GDDR5.
The Gigabyte card you linked in your previous post was the GDDR6 version, so I would just order that one and hope it actually ships when it's in stock. Newegg appears to have it in stock if you are buying for the US. There are versions from other major brands that were announced, but I don't see them in stock or even on most store pages. I didn't even know there was a GDDR6 version of the GTX 1650 until you mentioned it.

https://www.newegg.com/gigabyte-geforce-gtx-1650-gv-n1656oc-4gl/p/N82E16814932298

https://www.amazon.com/Tarjeta-gráfica-GIGABYTE-GeForce-GV-N1656OC-4GL/dp/B087R7V2Q6/

DellvlloN

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2016
The Gigabyte card you linked in your previous post was the GDDR6 version, so I would just order that one and hope it actually ships when it's in stock. Newegg appears to have it in stock if you are buying for the US. There are versions from other major brands that were announced, but I don't see them in stock or even on most store pages. I didn't even know there was a GDDR6 version of the GTX 1650 until you mentioned it.

https://www.newegg.com/gigabyte-geforce-gtx-1650-gv-n1656oc-4gl/p/N82E16814932298

Well, for the time being (unless the GDDR6 versions become available again) I have opted for this low profile card: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07ZTXYVMN/ref=ppx_od_dt_b_asin_title_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It's the MSI Gaming GeForce GTX 1650 128-Bit HDMI/DP/DVI 4GB GDRR5 with the Low Profile bracket. I really wanted the GDDR6 variant, but at the end of the day, this card will still outperform the GTX 1050 TI for only $20.00 more (oddly enough, I got a Gigabyte GTX 1060 6GB G1 OC Windforce Rev 2 for $130.00 just a little over a month ago). Crazy times we are living in.

Well, for the time being (unless the GDDR6 versions become available again) I have opted for this low profile card: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07ZTXYVMN/ref=ppx_od_dt_b_asin_title_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It's the MSI Gaming GeForce GTX 1650 128-Bit HDMI/DP/DVI 4GB GDRR5 with the Low Profile bracket. I really wanted the GDDR6 variant, but at the end of the day, this card will still outperform the GTX 1050 TI for only $20.00 more (oddly enough, I got a Gigabyte GTX 1060 6GB G1 OC Windforce Rev 2 for $130.00 just a little over a month ago). Crazy times we are living in.
newegg has the GDDR6 version "in stock" still for $160 from the link in my previous post that you quoted. Says for me it should arrive by July 2nd-8th. Also that GDDR5 version isn't in stock until June 28th on amazon.

Reactions: DellvlloN

DellvlloN

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2016
newegg has the GDDR6 version "in stock" still for $160 from the link in my previous post that you quoted. Says for me it should arrive by July 2nd-8th. Also that GDDR5 version isn't in stock until June 28th on amazon.

Thank you! I was going to just roll with Amazon because I already have an account there, but yeah, I cancelled my Amazon GDDR5 order, made my account for NewEgg and scooped up the Gigabyte GDDR6 version you linked me to. This will be my first experience with any of the 16-series cards but I've had several good Gigabyte cards recently; EVGA had been my personal favorite, but I haven't been disappointed, per say, by the Gigabyte cards either. The only "real" MSI card I've ever had to tinker around with is the 2GB GT 1030 OC; great card for what it was and still fetches what I originally put into it to begin with on the resell market.

This will be my first experience with any of the 16-series cards but I've had several good Gigabyte cards recently; EVGA had been my personal favorite, but I haven't been disappointed, per say, by the Gigabyte cards either. The only "real" MSI card I've ever had to tinker around with is the 2GB GT 1030 OC; great card for what it was and still fetches what I originally put into it to begin with on the resell market.
I figure that all the major brands likely have similar failure rates. So I usually just buy whatever has the longest warranty and is cheapest with the specs I'm looking for. When looking for a GPU, I usually don't bother with overclocked or "gamer" editions either, since their performance is usually within 1-2% of each other.

Reactions: DellvlloN