Question While playing lower end games my pc will crash to a color screen but, if I'm playing a higher end game I can run it for hours without fail

Oct 14, 2020
Ever since I've had my machine (I built/rebuilt numerous times due to crashes) it will crash on fairly easy to run games such as League of Legends, CS:GO. ESO, L4D2, Valorant, and smite. Although when I play games that are newer* and seem to be honestly more intense it will not crash and I can go on for hours and hours without a problem. (Games such as MW, Mount and Blade Bannerlord, NMS, Rocket League, Mordhau, Rust, KF2, Beat Saber, multiple other VR games, Grounded, Sekiro, DS3, ARMA 3...etc.) I'm not sure whats going on here I've tried many different ways to fix and nothing seems to work. It might be a hardware issue but, I'd imagine if that were the case most games listed in working would also crash.

My specs
Z77 Sabertooth
i7-4770k
AMD gtx 570(r?)
10gb of Ram DDR3
Water cooled cpu
Temps are optimal*

I've uninstalled and reinstalled windows and all drivers numerous times. Other games have crashed like MW after I left the comp running it for a day and a half, on and off playing. I'm honestly not sure whats going on here and I'm pretty competent I believe, when it comes to trouble shooting.

A few ideas on what's going on
-Sound drivers are interfering in a way
-Direct X error?
-Faulty hardware
-Faulty BIOS?

Nothing makes it better each game has its time limit. (LoL 30min, ESO 1hr, CSGO 1hr, L4D2 10 mins, Valorant is inconsistent 30 mins to 2hrs)

Thank you in advance if you have any info on the topic.

jmrnilsson

Honorable
Mar 20, 2014
I had a very similar issue with the GTX 460. In 2017. It turned out to be that the drivers had become obsolete. And from the looks of it it seemed like the code that would that would otherwise be throttling the card didn’t do anything and simply seemed to cook the card instead. Important note in the 400- and maybe 500-series is that throttling behavior did get, I think, a complete overhaul with temperature limit being one of the first hard limits.

I recommends the following:

1. Make it replicable! Run Furmark and check if the crash can be reliably replicated.

2. If it’s a 10 yo GPU, make sure the thermal paste hasn’t vaporized or turned into mortar. Replace it with new thermal paste. I use CPU thermal compound from Noctua just fine.

3. Make sure there is no dust in the system.

4. Clock it lower with MSI afterburner. Until it becomes stable in Furmark.

Last edited:
Oct 14, 2020
I had a very similar issue with the GTX 460. In 2017. It turned out to be that the drivers had become obsolete. And from the looks of it it seemed like the code that would that would otherwise be throttling the card didn’t do anything and simply seemed to cook the card instead. Important note in the 400- and maybe 500-series is that throttling behavior did get, I think, a complete overhaul with temperature limit being one of the first hard limits.

1. Make it replicable! Run Furmark and check if the crash can be reliably replicated.

2. If it’s a 10 yo GPU, make sure the thermal paste hasn’t vaporized or turned into mortar. Replace it with new thermal paste. I use CPU thermal compound from Noctua just fine.

I got it about a year ago I havent seen furmark I'll give it a shot, ty

Oct 14, 2020
I fixed ESO by making it windowed, DS2 is now crashing the computer consistently after 5-15 mins consistently. I had it running for about an hour and a half as I streamed it. Without streaming it, it crashed 5-15 min range not sure if it's the area I'm in that's doing it or what. I played MW for about 4hrs straight and now I'm here after a DS2 crash this is the weirdest problem I can't seem to find answers for. I rebuilt the machine and it's doing it still. Maybe a Windows issue? Something in BIOS?

So I used FurMark, nothing

Thought about it and I was like maybe its the CPU, looked for a software to push the CPU to the limit, came up with OCCT and again nothing.

I've been looking at the power usage of the GPU as I play games, again its normal nothing out of the ordinary I'd imagine

I have to hard shut off the system when games crash otherwise it just sits on a solid screen.

Pushing the machine to its limits seems to be better than playing something I'm over spec'd for... This is honestly super annoying at this point