whining noise: ASUS Sabertooth rev.2+ AMD fx-8350---4,0 Ghz

Nejc Red

Reputable
Mar 18, 2015
Hello everyone,

I need help, cuz from my pc builded 1 year ago, is comming some weird noises, i think its around cpu socket, but i am not sure :/

my pc rig:

MOBO:Asus Sabertooth 990FX rev.2
CPU: AMD FX-8350 4,0 Ghz (stock clock)
GPU: Nvidia gtx 980 asus strix 4 GB
RAM: Corsair Vengeance 2x 4 GB 1600 Mhz
PSU: CORSAIR RM-750
SSD: KINGSTON 240 GB

Does anyone here have similar problem with that kind of noise, even the PC is on idle.... ?? On load its even worse... :/

Thank you all for helping me out
Nejc

Solution
You could RMA the motherboard. It is probably worth trying to contact Asus technical support.
If you end up replacing it, you'll probably need to re-activate Windows. Historically, Microsoft has been good about allowing this in cases of motherboard replacements.
Whining or hissing noises typically come from coils. Usually, the worst offenders are inside PSUs (even good ones) or in the power circuits of graphics cards. If you have another graphics card, install that and see if you still have noise, particularly under a heavy CPU load like Prime95. If you have or can borrow a stethoscope, check out the PSU.

Nejc Red

Reputable
Mar 18, 2015
ok, tnx for advice, i did run prime95 just feew seconds ago, the noise was so much louder, on load = on idle.... i dont have any graphic card to test :/ stethoscope ? what is this ? i did unplugle all fans that i have in my case - NF-S12A & NF-F12 FOR MY CPU COLLER(1 was still on ) FROM NOCTUA -NH-U12S. Problem is that noise was still there...is meaby fault motherboard ? or should i change it for idk ....CROSSHAIR V FORMULA-Z ??? i just dont want to hear this noise, i hate it...

A stethoscope is what a doctor uses to listen to your heart and lungs.
It could be coming from the coils on your board's VRM phases, but I'd hope not; the Sabertooth is a high-quality board (I have the 1.0 version) and I'd expect the coils to not do that. Of course, at my age, the frequency may be above what I can hear now. It's been a long time since I could hear TV flyback transformers.

Nejc Red

Reputable
Mar 18, 2015
ok ok , i get it :D i dont know all english expression :D

yea i know thats it should be/it is high quality board,i bought it cuz a lot of people recomended this mobo for amd am3+ socket,and i wanted to overclock the cpu but i dont wanna try cuz of this noise... so capacitors may be fault ?
i dont know what to do.. so options for this noises are PSU,GPU &MOBO ?

At work, media-sharing sites are blocked.
Is it a whine, hiss, buzz, or some other kind of noise? Make sure it isn't something like fan blades hitting a wire or a badly unbalanced fan; perhaps swap out the CPU cooler fan you didn't take out before.

Nejc Red

Reputable
Mar 18, 2015
ok, so no go with that video...

i will try it i will report in couple of minutes...EVEN I fan does not hit any wires
and what if the noise is stilll there after swaping this cpu fann...to RMA PSU ?

Before i wrote on forum, i unpluged all the fans , just one was still on cpu cooler (i have 2 of the on CPU cooler), than remains, 1 fan on PCU, which do not spin til high pc load (GTA V), 2 fans on GPU, the same thing,they do not spin--unless pc is on load... and thats it.. ju3 3 fans were in PC. and the noise is thill here...

Nejc Red

Reputable
Mar 18, 2015
hi,

the noise is sill there, I swaped the last fan on cpu cooler and the noise is still there, when i power up pc, few seconds after start up, noise came back... but i think its not PSU, the noise is around cpu socket.... :/ :/

it definitely seems power related in some way

You could RMA the motherboard. It is probably worth trying to contact Asus technical support.
If you end up replacing it, you'll probably need to re-activate Windows. Historically, Microsoft has been good about allowing this in cases of motherboard replacements.

Solution