Who can solve the 'no asus card detected' problem?

G

I have seen this error floating around on many message boards, but have seen no explinations/resolutions. I am recieving it myself, having just built a system w/an ASUS V7700. When installing the drivers I get the message 'no asus card detected'. If you force windows to install the drivers anyway, everything seems to work OK, but the system will hang when the monitor sleeps.

Anyone got some ideas how to get the system to detect the card?
thanks,
- matt

RavenPrime

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
What motherboard are you using?
Try uninstalling the drivers-check add/remove programs and do it from there, otherwise install the Standard PCI VGA driver. Then re-install the V7700 drivers.
Also, what driver version are you using? Have you updated them?

:cool: James

G

Hey... thanks for the reply Raven

I tried installing the card w/the standard VGA installed. That's when it wouldn't detect it. Motherboard is an ASUS p3v4x........... you suggest I update the GFX card drivers or the mainboard drivers? Or both?

Thanks!

RavenPrime

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I don’t know how much you know about computers so forgive me if I am too basic.
I did some checking, the latest BIOS is 1002. The latest Video driver from Asus is 5.33a. Are you using the Asus drivers or the Detonator3 from Nvidia?

On your desktop, right click My Computer, select Properties, click the Device Manager tab. You should see a listing Display Adapters. Click the plus sign. Is your card listed there? Do you see any yellow exclamation points or red Xs?
Next click Computer at the top of the list to highlight it then click properties. This will bring up your IRQ listing. Find the graphics card, it should be using IRQ 11. If not, what is using IRQ 11.

In the BIOS, your settings should be:
AGP Compatibility [4X Mode]
Graphics Aperture Size half your system’s RAM
VGA BIOS Sequence [AGP/PCI]

Under PCI/PNP ISA IRQ Resource Exclusion all should be set to [No/ICU] unless you specifically set something.

Your video card should get properly identified otherwise your system will probably not be stable. As for the suspend feature, I have never found it stable on any computer and always disable it. I let the HD power down and the monitor turn off, but do not use the suspend function.
I hope this helps. Let me know.

G

Thanks James........

Its looks like IRQ 11 is shared between the AGP and ACPI IRQ holder for PCI IRQ steering.

I went into safe mode and checked for ghost devices... didn't see anything. If I remove the card, reboot and go through add-new-hw, I can seemingly install the correct drivers, but then when I reboot its back to the standard VGA. If I use the install shield on the drivers disk it gives me the message: "No ASUS card found or windows boots in safe mode. Please reboot and try again." If I force windows to install the drivers from the disk, using 'change adapter' from settings, everything *seems* to work ok....

Not sure what version drivers I'm using for the main board, guess that's the next thing to check, eh? :p

Thanks for the tips, I set up the bios as you suggested.

- Matt

P.S. Would it matter for detecting the card which ver. gfx drivers I'm trying to install?

G

updated the 4-in-1 driver yet ?

<font color=orange>What do you think? :wink: </font color=orange>

RavenPrime

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
What Operating system are you using?
It does matter which driver version you are using. You can check this under device manager.

ACPI IRQ holder for PCI IRQ steering is not a true device but a controller for IRQ settings so it will be shared for every card you plug into your system. Don't worry about it, it is normal and essential. Sorry, I forgot to mention it.

I think your final recourse will be to format your HD drive and do a clean re-install of your operating system. This is not as bad as it sounds assuming you <b>backup your data</b> and have the disks for all your software programs.

There is what I call operating system decay. Over time, operating system files are corrupted by errors and this not only slows down your system but causes it to behave strangely.

One more thing, don't forget to backup your files first. Also, if you haven't already, you can take this as an opportunity to partition your HD. I find that having my data on my D: partition is nice because it spares me a lot of backup work if I my OS crashes. Formatting my C: drive won't affect my data on the d: partition.

G

I hear what you're saying. The thing is.... its a system I just built.... I installed Win98 a week ago on a newly formatted HDD. Also, I just returned the gfx card and got a replacecent and it does the same thing. I'm totally at a loss, doesn't make sense.

thanks for your help
- matt

RavenPrime

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
When I built my system. I went through at least 5 re-installs before I figured out how to get my system to run stable. Sometimes, when you install a buggy or defective driver, it leaves behind or creates some defective system files and the only way to get rid of them is to start from scratch and not install the defective drivers the second, third,... time until you get it right.

Not too encouranging am I?

G

You need to make sure you have, allocate IRQ for Video & USB set ON, in the BIOS. Start up windows in safe-mode, remove all video cards in device manager. In display props change display to standard pci svga. Reboot - Windows should prompt you for new hardware drivers. Hope this helps I have had to do this alot of times for customers who have put in new cards

TRENDING THREADS