Who has the slowest PC in THG

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

phsstpok

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
I just retired my 286 Case and power supply which I have owned from 1987. It served me from the 12.5 Mhz 286 upto the 7th and last motherboard, an FIC 503+ with a AMD K6-2 running at 412 Mhz. That powersupply was bulletproof. I would have kept using it but all motherboards are ATX now and the Duron needs a 300 watt power supply.

Tormented

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
got dos 3.1 in original package with the plastic still on!

<b>-----------------------</b>
-<font color=red><b>R.K.</b></font color=red>

G

ok, you win. even though i have a C128 right behind me ;)

//warhawk

G

I'm not sure of this, but i belive the 8088 started
at 4.77 MHz in PC's

This is the best thread i have read in a long time lol

G

In my attic, I've got a _very_ old RM Nimbus 8086 with 400k ram, and two 3.5in floppies. Apparently, it's one of the first PCs that used 3.5's, and the rare 8086. It also has a nice monochrome green Phillips monitor.

I also have an Apple IIe with two external 'Winchester' hard disks the size a desktop case. Thirdly, I've got a toshiba laptop with a tiny screen about four times as wide as high, and a customised version of dos running on a primitive 286.

I know I'm not the competition winner, but I just like being nostaglic about the good old times... ;)

I just wish classic PCs accumulated value like classic cars :0

G

Still have the old IBM PCjr in service. It prints address labels and such on an old okidata pin printer.

Don't know much about it. 64kb of ram expanded to 128. Runs dos 1.1 on 5.25" floppy. Has the basic programming language cartridge, but I never use it. Runs a 16 color monitor though!

I think it's based on the 8086 processor. Anyone sure about this?

Funny. Still have the original boxes and manuals. Receipts too. Paid almost $3000 canadian for the setup at computerland in 1984. Yikes!

Wish I could find some of the memory expansion modules that plug into the side of the machine. I could install a controller card and mfm hard drive too. Then I could change the clock crystal to overclock! Then it would really smoke!

LOL!

Guess I don't miss the old days as much as I thought.

G

My 8088 still works perfectly. It has an IBM logo on it. One 1.2 MB 5-1/4 and 360kb 5-1/4 floppy drive. It also has 640kbytes memory and a 256kbytes Trident Video card (...wait, it comes later, since my ega monitor broke down, I have to replace the 8 bit ISA EGA 64kb card with a 16 bit [the last pins are not connected] ISA VGA card to match with the monitor), 21 MB HDD, the broken EGA 9" monitor can do at most 640X200 resolution. I also have a very old Apple IIe computer dated back in 74. The Apple Basic can still be used :)

jclw

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I've got an old Radio Shack TRS-80

Background
The Model I was first sold on August 3, 1977 at a price of $599.95. It began with a 4K Level I System, which was soon replaced by a 16K Level II System. The Level II (first model) was updated to include a numeric keypad.
The Model I was discontinued in January of 1981 due to its failure to meet the FCC's Radio Frequency Interference rulesd.
Specifications
CPU: Z-80 (1.77 MHz)
RAM: 4K-48K (4K Standard, Expandable to 16K in the Unit - Additional 32K through Expansion Interface)
ROM: 12K
Language: Microsoft Basic (in ROM)
VIDEO: 12" RCA white-on-black monitor (16 lines x 64 characters text; 48 x 128 graphical 'squots')
I/O: 250 Baud (Level I)/500 Baud (Level II) Casette (5 Pin DIN), Video Out (5 Pin DIN), Power (5 Pin DIN), Printer Port (40 Pin Edge Connector)
I/O Option: Expansion Interface which would house a RS-232, Disk Drive Controller, Printer Port, and up to 48K RAM.
I/O Option: 5 MB Hard Drive
I/O Option: Exatron Stringy Floppy
Storage: Casette. Optional 89K Floppy Drive (with DOS) / 102K (without DOS) -- 184K Floppy if Double Density was user installed.
Option: Voice Syntesizer (Radio Shack)

Mine still works A-OK. I still have software on tapes for it.

(check out http://mate.kjsl.com/trs80/ for more info)

BGates2B

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
You may be correct. I really am not sure how to tell how fast this beasty is.

Who knows, maybe it was one of those rare 80186 I just heard about?

BGates2B

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Wow, the old PC Jr, I still remember those. I remember the Charlie Chaplin ad on TV for it.

Which of those wonderful keyboards do you have for it; the membrane covered one or the Chichlet key one?

garia666

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
My first computer was the Commodor16

There for i had an ATARI but i dont know wich version

These machines where slow. 8 bit graphics

ajmcgarry

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Hey I had Vic20. Its still works and all. I thought I nackered it when I was a kid but about 3 years ago I took it apart out of curiosity. All that was wrong was the video output box was shot, so I reconfigured it for a 21 scart socket.
Do you remember the games? Amok, Jetpak, Frogger, Asp.
You needed to boost the Ram with a Ram module that had either 8 or 16Kb depending on the game, and these modules were 7" x 4" x 1".
Talk about stoneage.