Who needs sustained data rate??? X15!!!

G

I just read the 54 reply post on which "speedy drive to use" OMG people!!!

First of all, IDE Raid0 doubles seek time, and you can only read/write to 1 IDE device at a time. That is why SCSI shines in raid configurations, simultaneous read/writes to multiple devices.

Then the argument about sustained data rates, FORGET IT!!!. Even when playing everquest (example from the other post about file loads in games) you're only talking about a 30mb file. You need a drive that won't slow down at the end of the data and with fast seek times.

Just keep in mind this is for the best REAL LIFE performance, not benchmarked with data and tests that won't be useful aside from raw comparisons. TO see the truth in this look at the 2 winmark tests from Tom''s new X15 review, can you saw WOW!

Excellence isn't acheived overnight!

G

Sustained data rate isn't very imprtant or usefull for most real world use. Anyway, the next generation X15 36LP which was recently announced has improved the max transfer rate to an astonishing 69MB/s (about a 75% improvement over the first X15) while cutting down the seek time to a lower 3.6ms. That is going to be one impressive drive.

ejsmith2

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2001
I've never used a RAID before, but isn't the whole idea with a raid to have the two drives on separate channels? I was under the impression the raid controller could handle both drives simultaneously, as long as both channels were used for the raid.

But I still like the idea of being able to connect my printer, scanner, cdrom, hard disk, floppy, and burner on one IRQ. It's just that little cost thing that deters me.......

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Use an old refurbished Adaptec 2940 for everything but the hard drive, then use an IDE hard drive. It will save you a bunch of money, but still cost you an IRQ.

Suicide is painless...........