Whoops! 20 Of The Funniest Fails From Apple's iOS Maps App

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

See?!? There really is a secret Nazi colony in Antarctica! The only error is they misspelled it. It should have been "NeoBerlin".

brenro

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2010
[citation][nom]nebun[/nom]i have had my phone for over a week and i haven't had any problems so far[/citation]
I think you've nailed it. Tim Cook making a public apology was only a mirage.

G

I try to look for "Saigon", Apple map point to "Saigon, Metro Manila". WT???

[citation][nom]jaquith[/nom]Google maps are perfect, get your diving gear - http://revolution31.files.wordpres [...] -error.pngGoogle when they switched over from f/k/a Tele Atlas (now TomTom) suffered the same exact problems, and both Apple and Google have the resources to have stellar data though I prefer some of Apples third-party choices e.g. Yelp vs Google Places.[/citation]Notice what it says on the browser's status bar at the bottom left on that image:

Waiting for khm.google.com...

Any clown can take a screen snapshot before the page has finished updating.

[citation][nom]ko888[/nom]Notice what it says on the browser's status bar at the bottom left on that image:Waiting for khm.google.com...Any clown can take a screen snapshot before the page has finished updating.[/citation]
Yeah for sure, just Google 'Google Map Errors' and start looking for yourself. ;)

The funniest is Google mismapping borders and almost starting a couple of wars. The most famous Google blunder was when Nicaraguan troops accidentally invaded Costa Rica.

-

Google's optimal driving directions - http://www.suzukiofwichita.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/SillyGoogleMap.jpg
Google's follow that line driving - http://www.techiewww.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/map1.png

There's thousands of these examples from anyone providing mapping software and data. I have no doubts that Apple (TomTom) will correct the errors, and when Google switched from TomTom they were Trolled just the same.

A Bad Day

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2011
[citation][nom]jaquith[/nom]Google maps are perfect, get your diving gear - http://revolution31.files.wordpres [...] -error.pngGoogle when they switched over from f/k/a Tele Atlas (now TomTom) suffered the same exact problems, and both Apple and Google have the resources to have stellar data though I prefer some of Apples third-party choices e.g. Yelp vs Google Places.[/citation]

I don't think Google has THAT many problems.

It's like comparing Windows 7 to Windows ME. Sure, 7 has some bugs, but ME? Have fun.

Google Maps - You simply don't remember back a couple years ago or even earlier when new streets were missing and you had to use Yahoo or Microsoft Maps.

Google Maps are fine now from all of the efforts of their 300+ employees plus all the user feedback to fix Google's problems.

Apple already fixed most of if not all of these errors listed in this article. Apple's on top of it and frankly from an App standpoint the Apple's is better than the prior version from Google.

My NAV is built into my car so frankly I not concerned about this nit picking. The only reason I'm even addressing this article is because I'm tired of all of the Apple Trolling. So if you want a Korean phone then get the Galaxy or if you like Apple then this is nothing to be concerned about. Let Google's Android track you in your sleep, spy on every single thing you do, and have total access all of the data listed in the Google Play. Hey it's your choice.

The-Darkening

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2006
[citation][nom]jaquith[/nom]Yeah for sure, just Google 'Google Map Errors' and start looking for yourself. The funniest is Google mismapping borders and almost starting a couple of wars. The most famous Google blunder was when Nicaraguan troops accidentally invaded Costa Rica. -Google's optimal driving directions - http://www.suzukiofwichita.com/blo [...] gleMap.jpgGoogle's follow that line driving - http://www.techiewww.com/wp-conten [...] 0/map1.pngThere's thousands of these examples from anyone providing mapping software and data. I have no doubts that Apple (TomTom) will correct the errors, and when Google switched from TomTom they were Trolled just the same.[/citation]

First pic has OBVIOUS shopped points. You can see some green near Orchard. park In fact the idiot that erased them also erased the point of arrival because it wasn't the "B" point.

Go play "Find the bug" with your fail Crapple Maps.

G

Epic fail by Apple. Shame on them, too bad there's no "app for that". Much better solutions out there. Nokia maps is superb for one.

stevelord

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2010
I am 1 for 2 with the maps app. Used it to find a flowershop and the turn by turn from Siri worked great. Used it later than evening to find a YMCA for my kids' swimming lessons and the thing sent me to a nearby highschool instead. Wasted about 20min of my time and we were late to the lesson.

boletus

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2010
Well slide #3 makes perfect sense, if you believe Apple can make water flow uphill. Maybe that's why they can get away with overpricing their products so steeply; they can defy the laws of nature and make reality whatever you want it to be.

mr_tuel

Distinguished
May 23, 2009
I like apple's hardware, but I cannot fathom upgrading to iOS6 until these issues are worked out. Prob right before iOS7...

dooderoo

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2012
If you're going to San Francisco … better not rely on Google for directions

http://www.titleofsite.com/2012/10/if-youre-going-to-san-francisco/

tristangl

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2009
[citation][nom]tristangl[/nom]Picture 10 is stupid it is not driving in circle... only 3 different way to get to the point (even if the path stop a bit before the destination)You have to be pretty stupid to start going in circle between 3 different routes proposed... i guess toms hardware should stick to computer related news and not orientation[/citation]

Look like alot of people are stupid enough to go in circle between 3 different path (judging by the number of down vote i have)

Really... you people dont get this... Wow amazing! Not because you have an intelligent phone that you need to be dumb

Btw, i am not pro iPhone... i am just against stupidity

[citation][nom]jaquith[/nom]Google Maps - You simply don't remember back a couple years ago or even earlier when new streets were missing and you had to use Yahoo or Microsoft Maps. Google Maps are fine now from all of the efforts of their 300+ employees plus all the user feedback to fix Google's problems. Apple already fixed most of if not all of these errors listed in this article. Apple's on top of it and frankly from an App standpoint the Apple's is better than the prior version from Google. My NAV is built into my car so frankly I not concerned about this nit picking. The only reason I'm even addressing this article is because I'm tired of all of the Apple Trolling. So if you want a Korean phone then get the Galaxy or if you like Apple then this is nothing to be concerned about. Let Google's Android track you in your sleep, spy on every single thing you do, and have total access all of the data listed in the Google Play. Hey it's your choice.[/citation]

You act as if Apple doesn't pull that invasive crap too and as if Google didn't list Maps as a beta until they fixed things up whereas Apple released it as a finished product, something that it obviously was not. Calling Apple out for their screw up isn't trolling, although I'll concede that many Tom's members do go as low as trolling about the subject.

Also, what have you got against South Korea? Your word choice implies that there's something wrong with South Korea. Besides, I doubt that many people at all buy Samsung phones and tablets with their relation to South Korea being a key factor in their purchase choice.

Status
Not open for further replies.