Question Why am I crashing?

cannonball331

Reputable
Dec 4, 2018
So my pc has started crashing when I’m trying to download something or sometimes at random points and I was almost certain it was cooling but now I don’t think so unless it is but I have everything running on max and windows won’t record the crashes in the minidump I set up leading me to believe it’s a cooling problem but maybe it’s a power supply issue? Some specs I can’t really tell you bc I don’t rly know bc the place I bought from didn’t give a clear name but I know the basics

Motherboard is a ASUS TUF Z370 TUF PLUS Gaming

CPU is a Intel i9-9900k

GPU is a Nvidia RTX 2070

Power supply is a 650 watt Seasonic FOCUS SSR 650FM 80 PLUS Gold

(The processor cooling is a Asetek 550LC 120mm liquid cooling system that’s what the specs list said)

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
2 Red flags just from looking at the specs you posted.

1)You can't keep a 9900k cool with a 120mm AIO. I'd imagine if the system weren't crashing on you, it'd be shutting off instantly from overheating.
To cool that cpu:
Air: Noctua NH-D15/S, be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4, or Thermalright Le Grand Macho RT are some examples
Liquid: 280mm AIO or larger. If you're going to overclock it, then 360mm AIO, custom loop, or bust.
What is your case? That will determine what kind of cooler you can fit in.

2)Z370 isn't going to cut it for what is one of the most powerful mainstream cpus in the world. Z390 or bust.
You could get away with a 9700K on Z370, but the VRM isn't robust enough to handle the power draw of the 9900k. You need a new motherboard.

cannonball331

Reputable
Dec 4, 2018
2 Red flags just from looking at the specs you posted.

1)You can't keep a 9900k cool with a 120mm AIO. I'd imagine if the system weren't crashing on you, it'd be shutting off instantly from overheating.
To cool that cpu:
Air: Noctua NH-D15/S, be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4, or Thermalright Le Grand Macho RT are some examples
Liquid: 280mm AIO or larger. If you're going to overclock it, then 360mm AIO, custom loop, or bust.
What is your case? That will determine what kind of cooler you can fit in.

2)Z370 isn't going to cut it for what is one of the most powerful mainstream cpus in the world. Z390 or bust.
You could get away with a 9700K on Z370, but the VRM isn't robust enough to handle the power draw of the 9900k. You need a new motherboard.

well ibuypower doesn’t give you a case name so I can’t really help on that, I can get a new cooler but idk about the motherboard there’s no way after fixing the cooling a can keep it I’m not worried about not reaching its full capabilities if that’s what your getting at, I would like to keep the motherboard as that’s a big job but I can fix the cooling, is there any way the pc can function with that motherboard?

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
well ibuypower doesn’t give you a case name so I can’t really help on that, I can get a new cooler but idk about the motherboard there’s no way after fixing the cooling a can keep it I’m not worried about not reaching its full capabilities if that’s what your getting at, I would like to keep the motherboard as that’s a big job but I can fix the cooling, is there any way the pc can function with that motherboard?
1)Well, can you give me the model name of the case? There's got to be model name or number stamped somewhere?

2)It's not about full capabilities, you have a motherboard under-specced for the cpu that's currently in there. There's no workaround.
Since you want to keep the motherboard, you have no other choice but to replace the cpu, and step down to either a 9700k or 8700k.
Those are going to be the closest cpus to the 9900k in performance.

EDIT: An alternative is to disable Hyperthreading in bios. It'll essentially be a 9700k at that point. Still might crash though.

cannonball331

Reputable
Dec 4, 2018
1)Well, can you give me the model name of the case? There's got to be model name or number stamped somewhere?

2)It's not about full capabilities, you have a motherboard under-specced for the cpu that's currently in there. There's no workaround.
Since you want to keep the motherboard, you have no other choice but to replace the cpu, and step down to either a 9700k or 8700k.
Those are going to be the closest cpus to the 9900k in performance.

EDIT: An alternative is to disable Hyperthreading in bios. It'll essentially be a 9700k at that point. Still might crash though.

I checked ASUS cpu compatibility list and it says it supports it, that’s the whole reason I bought it, that’s shitty that they would put it on there if it’s wrong

as for the case model number there’s one tag on the back that says i-series A264A649 080818 see if that helps if not there’s one under it that’s start with SN

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Nope, didn't help.
Either link the case from their site, or take a couple pics of the case - front and side - and post 'em through a site like imgur.com.

Also, you could try disabling Hyperthreading in bios - in Advanced Cpu Settings or something similar. I have an Asus mobo also, so the layout shouldn't be too different.
That'll make it function just like a 9700k... can't guarantee that it still won't crash though.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
They appear to use mostly the same design for their own cases, but the Element was the closest match, save for the front panel design.
1)Does the following match with the size and number of fans you can put in?
Cooling SystemFront: 2x 120/140mm
Top: 1x 120/140mm
Rear: 1x 120mm

2)Hard to tell what size air cooler can go in there, and it's not even listed either. If you're interested in putting an air cooler in, you'd just have to take the pump/mount off the cpu, and measure from the top of the cpu to the side panel.

3)If you intend to stick with liquid, the radiator will have to be mounted in the front of the case. Generally, if 2x 120mm fans fit, then a 240mm AIO should fit, and if 2x 140mm, then a 280mm AIO also fits.

cannonball331

Reputable
Dec 4, 2018
They appear to use mostly the same design for their own cases, but the Element was the closest match, save for the front panel design.
1)Does the following match with the size and number of fans you can put in?
Cooling SystemFront: 2x 120/140mm
Top: 1x 120/140mm
Rear: 1x 120mm

2)Hard to tell what size air cooler can go in there, and it's not even listed either. If you're interested in putting an air cooler in, you'd just have to take the pump/mount off the cpu, and measure from the top of the cpu to the side panel.

3)If you intend to stick with liquid, the radiator will have to be mounted in the front of the case. Generally, if 2x 120mm fans fit, then a 240mm AIO should fit, and if 2x 140mm, then a 280mm AIO also fits.

those numbers seem to be right I can measure and I will probably be going to air