[SOLVED] Why am I getting fps drops in fortnite.

Jun 29, 2020
I think I might have a problem because my CPU usage is 80% and GPU is 50 % in task manager.

I don't see any spikes like the CPU going to 100% or anything going to 100%

I am capping my fps to 80 so I don't get 100% CPU usage

PC specs

i3 9100f
2x4 2400mhz
xfx rx 570
gigabyte b365 motherboard
240gb ssd
1tb hdd
thermaltake 500w 80+

I know that the i3 9100f is a 4 core 4 threaded processor so that may be the problem so the upgrade to the i5 9400f will it fix the fps drops?

Solution
16 gig of memory will help but really you'll need to do both...I have friends who've ditched their quad core cpu's recently because of poor game performance. That being said upgrading the memory should help with the frame drops.
I would guess you don't have enough system memory...when the game needs data not in system memory it is forced to hit the hhd for data.

I am assuming you're using the 1t hhd to store your game data...when the game makes a call for data it has to pull it from the temp location in the hhd page file which is much much slower than system memory causing lag.

Even if you're on the ssd you can run into the same issue but it usually will be somewhat less of an impact than on a traditional hhd due to the faster speed a sata ssd works at.

I'd suggest 2 x 8gb of 3200mhz memory and having your games on an ssd...preferably an m.2 nvme drive if your board has an open m.2 slot.

Jun 29, 2020
I would guess you don't have enough system memory...when the game needs data not in system memory it is forced to hit the hhd for data.

I am assuming you're using the 1t hhd to store your game data...when the game makes a call for data it has to pull it from the temp location in the hhd page file which is much much slower than system memory causing lag.

Even if you're on the ssd you can run into the same issue but it usually will be somewhat less of an impact than on a traditional hhd due to the faster speed a sata ssd works at.

I'd suggest 2 x 8gb of 3200mhz memory and having your games on an ssd...preferably an m.2 nvme drive if your board has an open m.2 slot.
I have my game on my ssd and my ram is 3000mhz but I can only go to 2400mhz so will having 16 gb of ram fix the fps drops or do I need to get a better processor.

Jul 3, 2020
16 gig of memory will help but really you'll need to do both...I have friends who've ditched their quad core cpu's recently because of poor game performance. That being said upgrading the memory should help with the frame drops.

Jun 29, 2020
So I bought the same ram I got before so I will have 16 gb and I will see if it will reduce the frame drops and thanks for the help.

Reactions: dorsai