Why am I getting FPS lag with my new GTX 1070?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Frozenpulse

Commendable
Jun 29, 2016
I just recently bought my PNY Geforce GTX 1070, and my PC specs are: Geforce GTX 1070, Intel i5 4690k 3.5 ghz processor, 8 gigs of ram, 650 watt power supply, ASUS B85M-G R2.0 motherboard, and a 1 tb hard drive. Whenever I try to play Grand Theft Auto 5, I get very bad framerate drops and sometimes it will just sit at 25-30 fps. And that isnt even on maxed out settings, just most on high and MSAAx2. I see others that can run the game with all ultra settings and get 80+ FPS with no drops. What is the problem with mine?? (I also stream, and I cant stream to twitch at all without it having bad FPS lag all the time so somebody please help!)

Solution
If you have windows 10, and your FPS is capping at 30fps, click cortana and type in "xbox". Sign in or make an account (the bastards) and there is a setting about recording/DVR. turn that garbage right off.

hope this fixed your problem

Shawn855

Commendable
Oct 16, 2016
I have a 10 series card as well (gtx 1060) paired with an fx 6300 cpu. The cpu bottlenecks me yes buy I've adjusted everything where I have everything set to very high and it will run between 45 and 70 fps on 1080p. For the most part it runs silky smooth between those frames but at certain areas in the city I get a bit of a mild slowdown. It will still happen even at 60fps. It's almost as if it's loading up another area of the city or something. It's probably my cpu since it's only running at 4.1ghz but i wanted to share my experience since it could be related to the driver for the 10 series cards.

leotm

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2010
What worked:
• Uninstalling HD Audio Driver
• Uninstalling 3D Vision Driver
• Uninstalling 3D Vision Controller Driver
• NVIDIA Control Panel 3D Settings > Program Settings > [Your Game] > Power management mode: Prefer maximum performance
• Restart
• Disable Windows Defender (high CPU)
• Game settings: V-sync off if FPS near monitor hz
• Launch game

What didn't work:
• Updating Windows 10
• Lowering game settings
• Launching different games
• Disabling Apache processes (PHP dev memory leaks) and service

What wasn't the issue:
• WiFi spikes: not aligned with stutter (Task Manager)
• GPU: low temps, flat graphs, no spikes (Afterburner)
• CPU: low temps, flat graphs, no spikes in threads (Task Manager)
• SSD and HD: flat graphs, no spikes (Task Manager)

Update:
So launching game after fresh restart - FIXED.
But after using PC for a while then launching - stutter again.
Even after closing nearly all non-system processes (in case of memory leaks) so that no process using above 1% CPU - still stutter.
Only had this problem a few days ago.
Last Windows 10 Anniversary Updates installed on 18/10/2016 - pretty sure its that. It's caused a bug where BF4 launches minimised too.
But I dare not close Windows (System) processes.
Will continue doing this for now, and hope this if fixed in a future Windows Update.

Oisin1

Commendable
Oct 25, 2016

Go to my documents/gta5 and delete the settings file. Should work OK then

Oisin1

Commendable
Oct 25, 2016
Hi all. Go to my documents/ gta5 and find and delete settings file. Should work if you upgraded gpu from older gen. Those calling for rma and shouting bottleneck get some facts b4 posting please.

raubvogel 89

Commendable
Nov 5, 2016
I built a pc for a friend as a gift for our 20th anniversary. I gave him an i5-6600K, MSI GTX 1070 FE, and 32 GB of RAM... for whatever freaking reason, it was doing just as you said. I built everything inside a Deepcool Genome case and the video card was sitting up vertically with a PCIe extension bridge. I was getting 55-60 FPS and many dips to 30 on GTA V... to ensure nothing was wrong with the card I put in one of my GTX 1080's and it was at 10FPS... checked with latencymon and other material but it finds out that this whole time it was the extension bridge causing the issue so now his 1070 works perfectly but it's not as aesthetically pleasing. Finds out one of the pins on the bridge had been rubbed off.

I'd check to see if your pins are okay or your card is seated correctly.

tryohazard

Commendable
Nov 10, 2016
If you have windows 10, and your FPS is capping at 30fps, click cortana and type in "xbox". Sign in or make an account (the bastards) and there is a setting about recording/DVR. turn that garbage right off.

hope this fixed your problem

Solution

VexxPC

Commendable
Dec 10, 2016

It is probably your Thermal Paste which is messing with your GPU's performance and temperature coordination, Unfortunatly if it is a Stock GPU your screwed, but if its a modified version of the GPU your might be saved. For example if it is a EVGA GTX 1070 it's a stock version, but if it is a FTW edition GTX 1070 it's good, It MUST NOT be a STOCK VERSION GPU ! Or you will not be able to take it apart.

Jeet_4

Commendable
Nov 20, 2016

im having this same problem, just out my new pc together yesterday, specs:
msi gaming 5 z97motherboard
intel i7 4790 3.6 ghz i think
gogabyte gtx 1070 (g1 gaming, 3 fans)
16gb (2x 8gb) RAM
i mainly play warframe and i used to get around 30 fps on my old pc (i dont remember the specs on it but it was REALLy old) and now i get around 120 when im not in a mission (IE in my ship) but its only sometimes, like ill open the application nd ill have 30 fps but if i close and reopen it without changing anything i might have 120 . anyone know whats wrong? when i start actualy playing it drops below 20

Pigou73

Commendable
Dec 13, 2016
Here is the solution of the problem of stuttering 1070 GTX cards, and probably other series 10XX.

Clean install of 375.70 drivers.

In the NVIDIA Control Panel:

Set maximum performance
The maximum number of pre-rendered frames = 1.

I hope this help. My CoD Ghosts runs smooth without stuttering. Before the game was unplayable ...

Mr_Theplague

Commendable
Jun 16, 2016
I just built a new rig, i6700k rog maximus viii formula mother board 32 gigs ddr4 3000 ram, evga supernova 850p power supply, on custom watercooling. Running 3 asus VG248QE monitors i get massive system lag when the evga 1070 FTW is not underload. on the desktop with nothing running it is almost impossible to type, move the mouse or do anything. Put the card under load and it runs perfectly. In Game NO problems at all until you open a menu, scene transitions, load in screens, anything that does not require the video card to be under load. Elder scrolls Lag almost all the time. While i am lagging there is constant sound crackle and screen freezing. The system lag is so bad that it even disables other programs and or actions within programs (example, ability to talk in voice com programs like teamspeak, can still hear people, see people come and go but unable to talk until closing program and restarting, next cut scene menu, load in have to restart the program.)

I spent hours on the phone with evga support and asus support. Not the power supply ( rma the one i had) Not the Video card (rma the one i had, also worked flawlessly on my amd build and the intel build listed above works perfectly with all 3 monitors on my gtx 960 strix) Not the ram or mother board, power options to max performance. Both MSI after burner and precission x oc have same problem.

According to other forums i have read, and evga support it does seem to be a driver issue and an issue with the power saving mode built into the 10 series cards and how it is affecting the refresh rates with the monitors. Running 1 monitor my 1070 idles down to 270mv and 600mhz on the clock. All runs perfectly at 144hrz, add the second monitor and the voltage wont drop below 743mv with clock speed at 1607mhz. if i run 144 hrz i get the same system lag only when in games at load in screens and menues (the 1070 tries to throttle down because it doesnt need the same graphix load and the system studders audio crackle and all) , the rest of the pc seems stable at idle, ability to type move mouse ect no problems. drop to 60HRZ and the studder lessens. Third monitor, FORGET ABOUT IT. unless i run K boost in precision x oc the throttling of the card to "save power" makes the pc unusable.

Some other forums and evga support say that when the card goes into power saving mode it is not sending enough signal to the monitors, framtime spikes card increases GPU usage to compensate wich lags the video and is creating massive input lag wich is the studder. they suggested running 3 display port cables instead of 2 DP and 1 DVI, Didnt fix it. Reinstalled older drivers (pre hotfix to ease the mind of people afraid of the head issues due to no thermal pads on vrms) thinking maybe evga tweaked power settings to lower usage and lower temps along with the increased fan curve, did not fix it.

AMD rig, is flawless (minus the lower frame rates due to bottleneck) but noproblems at all, only seems to be a pain on my intel rig i built any other ideas.

Hmm, that's strange, only times I've seen that in games is an unstable cpu and/or gpu overclock (which appears stable in stress tests and x number of games), or when a game dips into system ram. Does the suggested limit setting in gta v make any difference? What resolution are you using by the way? If it's 7680x1440 then that will be too much for a single 1070 most likely.

Mr_Theplague

Commendable
Jun 16, 2016
not running 4k. i run 1920 x 1080. Usually i would agree with you on that as far as stability, but here is why i can say it has to be a driver issue or power saving issue s because if any resolution cant be handled by a 1070 why would it work fine in the same machine same with a 960. I can run all 3 monitors at 144 resolution settings on the 960 no system lag, the voltage and gpu drops when not under load are and do not fluctuate. on the 1070 if the card is not under load it jumps all over causing massive system lag with makes the computer unusable. Even using the on board display adapters instead of the 1070 there is no issue with any system lag. Only using the 1070 am i having an issue.

Now here is an interesting thing, i am using a thermaltake core p5 case with the cable riser. there have been issues with the riser cables to the point fact that thermaltake is giving away new risers because of issues with the stock runs they provided... I have a new riser cable on order, we shall see if there is a connection issue using the riser but again it is a long shot because if that were the issue the system lag would be evident at all times due to connectivity not only when the card is at idle...

KenoKereStyle

Reputable
Jan 8, 2016
Ok guys the W1070/1080 lag during casual windows usage is caused by GPU TWEAK software... uninstall it and wait for them to fix the problem. (uninstall and delete everything regarding this software, it's faulty).

EDIT: IT ONLY WORKED FOR AROUND 3 HOURS, THEN IT STARTED AGAIN. PLEASE FOR THE LORD OF GOD, FIX THIS PROBLEM ALREADY. 970, SAME CONFIG, DIDNT HAVE A PROBLEM. AFTER I SWITCHED TO 1070, I CANT MANAGE TO FIX IT. IT'S BEEN 7 MONTHS ALREADY FOR FKING SAKE.

Status
Not open for further replies.