Question Why am I getting sudden lag spikes with a drop in both CPU & GPU usage?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 28, 2020
So basically recently I have been running into the issue where I have been playing 2 games where I have had a random issue of the game fps dropping significantly. This has never happened before with these games so I was curious and checked, next time it happened I had my resource monitor open as I was expecting it to happen again and when the lag spike hit the CPU usage went down by about 1/3, and the GPU usage went down buy almost 5/6 of what it was using prior to the spike. after a few seconds it returned to normal like nothing had happened.

My laptop specs are:

GTX 1060 6GB

i7-7700HQ

16GB DDR4 RAM

Here is a link to the product for more information:
https://us.msi.com/Laptop/GP62MVR-LEOPARD-PRO-GEFORCE-GTX1060/Specification

Again this hasnt happened before and I have had this computer for several months so far with no issue like this. I just tried doing a factory reset but I am still getting the issue (only the SSD was wiped, not the D drive though)
I also do have the most recent drivers available, though I do suspect it has something to do with drivers but not certain.

Any help would be great

Ferimer

Distinguished
So basically recently I have been running into the issue where I have been playing 2 games where I have had a random issue of the game fps dropping significantly. This has never happened before with these games so I was curious and checked, next time it happened I had my resource monitor open as I was expecting it to happen again and when the lag spike hit the CPU usage went down by about 1/3, and the GPU usage went down buy almost 5/6 of what it was using prior to the spike. after a few seconds it returned to normal like nothing had happened.

My laptop specs are:

GTX 1060 6GB

i7-7700HQ

16GB DDR4 RAM

Here is a link to the product for more information:
https://us.msi.com/Laptop/GP62MVR-LEOPARD-PRO-GEFORCE-GTX1060/Specification

Again this hasnt happened before and I have had this computer for several months so far with no issue like this. I just tried doing a factory reset but I am still getting the issue (only the SSD was wiped, not the D drive though)
I also do have the most recent drivers available, though I do suspect it has something to do with drivers but not certain.

Any help would be great
Are you playing off battery ? or plugged in? Could be a drop in power volts? have you had a power surge recently?

Jun 28, 2020
cpu/gpu temp during the game?
hdd usage? since it hdd, might be waiting for the hdd access
My temps are GPU: 91 CPU: 95
I know this is pretty high but it is a laptop and it has always run at this heat with no issues like this. As for HDD usage there is none when this happens, nor anything in the SSD either

Status
Not open for further replies.