Question Why am i only getting 9.9gb if i just added 2 2gb ram sticks (DDR3 to be exact).

Feb 4, 2020
i recently added 2 2gb sticks of ram, went to go play rust. whole pc froze so i had to hard reset. now im back to 9.9gb... did my ram fry? (i know very little about computers :/)

Mrgr74

Reputable
BANNED
i recently added 2 2gb sticks of ram, went to go play rust. whole pc froze so i had to hard reset. now im back to 9.9gb... did my ram fry? (i know very little about computers :/)

Hi @AYden3

1st off, Welcome to the forums!

Please give us a little more info in regards to the hardware you have in your PC. Namely the motherboard & RAM you have, but other hardware specs too if you know them. If you aren't sure, download CPU-Z and post Screen Shots here. A general rule of thumb is to never mix n' match RAM. Sometimes it'll play nice and sometimes you'll have nothing but problems.

A little more info and we'll have you back up & running in no time. :)

Ralston18

Titan
Make and model motherboard?

What was the original memory module configuration?

You must refer to the motherboard's User Guide/Manual and probably the motherboard manufacturer's website to determine the applicable memory modules and the applicable configurations for the same.

For the most part, memory performance is best served with matched memory sticks purchased as a kit.

Feb 4, 2020
i got the pc from a friend of mine and i dont know the mother boards model. and what do you mean by memory module configuration? to be fair i just put them in the 2 slots i had left.

Feb 4, 2020
like i went to go play rust. i checked task manager and veerything was running great till it forze. task manager said i had 26 gb total ram now i have 9.9