Why AMD Should Buy ARM Now

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

It might be a good move for AMD overall if it helps to keep them from going under but it wouldn't do very much for the desktop space. Anything to keep AMD cashy, alive and still able to make CPU/GPUs.

Who knows such an acquisition may well be the feather that tipped the scales and made AMD the front runner in the slowly shifting move to sub-mobile computing.

jonyb222

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2008
AMD
ATI
ARM
The A Team must be formed!

Though is AMD in a position to buy them? As in do they have the money to do it? Maybe a merger would be more in line with the whole thing though I don't know all that much...

G

But they sold their low power GPU solution to Qualcomm, Adreno anyone? Talking about vision...

djridonkulus

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2011
Naturally, after reading this article I jumped over to check ARM's stock data and all I can say is that even though an acquisition may be good for business, ARM isn't exactly a healthy choice for investors.

As of April 29, 2011, ARM has a P/E ratio of 104.50 (!!!), which is huge especially when comparing it to similar chip-producing companies - Nvidia 45.40, Texas Instruments 13.40, Qualcomm 25.00.

This is a huge indication that ARM's stock is over-inflated and is soon due for a massive correction.

G

AMD's market cap($6.4B) is less that half of ARM.H($14.5B). How would AMD buy ARM???

phatboe

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2006
Around the time when NVidia settled with Intel and officially dropped all future work on the Intel/AMD chipset business and when the rumors were coming out about NVidia and "Project Denver" (before the official project's announcement) I thought NVidia would merge/buyout ARM just to get back at AMD and Intel for stepping on their turf.

G

Arm as a company worths twice as much as AMD. Shouldn't it be the other way around?

robwright

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2006
Good piece, Wolfgang. An AMD-ARM union would be fascinating and surely constitute the biggest competitive threat to Intel in years. There are some serious obstacles, though. Can you imagine how Nvidia would react, having invested heavily in ARM architecture for both Tegra and Project Denver, if its chief graphics rival suddenly owned ARM? Even though AMD and Nvidia just struck a deal to make SLI chipsets for AMD, I don't think these two are going to get THAT cozy.

G

Djridonkulus, ARM isn't a chip-producing company. They sell IP.

Even if AMD could buy ARM, what would be the point?

Even if there's no acquisition from one to the other, what Mr. Gruener's sources say is true, ARM + AMD is one big power house if you think that what ARM is lacking atm is a lil' more graphics juice (there's still no full profile h264 decoding at 1080p that I know of). Fusion is one hell of a proof concept that turned out really profitable and AMD has to expand it's market, and there's where ARM comes in so darn handy. Intel should be scared about it IMO. Their Itanium RISC-steal arch should be moved into the mobile arena instead of the x86 "power hog".

The future seems weirdly positive for AMD and its surroundings IMO. Hope ARM and AMD develop together something interesting for us to see in the near future.

Cheers!

G

Next time, try researching before you write such a silly article.

ARM does NOT manufacturer chips. They sell/license IP for their architecture. Companies such as Marvell, Samsung, NVidia, TI, Qualcomm, etc manufacturer.

AMD could not possibly afford to purchase ARM. Even if they could, then what? I don't believe that ARM is allowed to compete against the companies who they license their IP to. AMD would just have a larger IP base, and some more income to sink into their declining x86 business. Maybe they could bankrupt ARM while they're at it.....

G

this has to be one of the stupidest articles i have ever read.
does anyone do any f'n research anymore. ARMH is worth 2.5 times more than AMD is. Even if some bank was willing to finance AMD, they would be paying interest on those loans for infinity. In fact financially it would make more sense for ARM to buy out AMD, but then why would ARMH want buy a 2nd place AMD when ARM is the new Intel. Duh...

Mysteic

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2009
The A's from companies famous for be represented by 3 letters. Its a match made in heavy. I can come up with 3 puns right now about this with tic-tac-toe alone.

This needs to be done. The marketing that AMD needs to buy writes itself. A good start for a new department.

Blessedman

Distinguished
May 29, 2001
why buy, when you can rent? I am unsure why AMD would want the burden of an added engineering force when they can just license the technology? I am confused...

Tomtompiper

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2010
I have been saying for months now that ARM is going to be the new force in processors, the scalability of the platform and its inherent advantages in power consumption are a threat to x86 in the desktop and server market. If AMD does not buy ARM next year or the year after it will be Arm acquiring AMD.

bbell1

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2010
Since when do pipe dreams make good articles on here? ARM Holdings has a market cap of almost $14B (That's $14,000M) and AMD's total assets are about $3.5B of which only $606M is cash. How exactly does AMD come up with the other $10B when they are already loaded with debt?

Partners maybe... purchasers hell no.

Status
Not open for further replies.