[SOLVED] why are 3rd generation intel cpus selling to similar prices as 8th...

jayleonis

Honorable
Nov 18, 2018
I have an older LGA 1155 socket motherboard with an i7-2600k and was looking at processors to upgrade. the best one for my socket seems to be the i7-3770k. Im seeing used on ebay these going for 150-200. that seems so high to me relative to a brand new i7-8700k is going for 300-330 new. any idea why this might be?

Solution
The main reason third generation processors are still quite expensive is because they are still relevant. They are still widely used in businesses across the world, due to their affordability and performance. Picture yourself the owner of a business that needs computers to browse the internet and make excel spreadsheets. Third generation processors have more than enough power to accommodate for the average person, for the simple and medial tasks.

Another good reason for the pricing of the processors, especially on a site such as eBay, is due to the original price a person paid for the processor, and the generalized pricing across the web. If you were to sell an i7-3770 on eBay, you bought it for $300 and you see other people selling it...

kanewolf

Titan
Limited supply. Anybody that has one is in no hurry to sell them. They don't take up much space so maximize the price. Prices for SOLD items on E-Bay are about $150. That is what people are willing to pay. Why does a 57 Chevy sell for the same price as a new car? Same reason.

The main reason third generation processors are still quite expensive is because they are still relevant. They are still widely used in businesses across the world, due to their affordability and performance. Picture yourself the owner of a business that needs computers to browse the internet and make excel spreadsheets. Third generation processors have more than enough power to accommodate for the average person, for the simple and medial tasks.

Another good reason for the pricing of the processors, especially on a site such as eBay, is due to the original price a person paid for the processor, and the generalized pricing across the web. If you were to sell an i7-3770 on eBay, you bought it for $300 and you see other people selling it for $180, are you gonna sell it for $100 or try to match the price most people are selling for?

Also, the i7-3770K processor is an extremely powerful chip for that chipset. It is actually more powerful than some processors from newer generations, and can be overclocked quite easily, allowing it to be even closer to the top range of processors in raw performance. I wouldn't buy this processor unless you have decent cooling + a motherboard that can overclock.

As others have stated, the i7-3770K apart, most of the third generation is falling strictly into obsolete territory for enthusiasts and gamers alike, and you would be better off getting a more modern system, as newer instructions are created for applications and games that your processor will no longer support. Additionally, games are being optimized for 6 cores currently, whereas the 3770K only has 4.

Solution
Being one of the fastest CPUs available for that generation of motherboards, if anyone is upgrading one of those systems from something like an i5, it's going to be one of the best-performing options to go with.

And the processor is still pretty relevant, as the per-core performance of mid-range CPUs hasn't exactly become a huge amount faster. With an overclock, its 4 cores with Hyperthreading can still offer a similar level of performance as an i5-8400. So, if someone has an existing system from that generation, paying around $200 for a 3770K with an aftermarket cooler is arguably still a better value than spending close to $400 on an i5-8400, motherboard and DDR4 RAM. If you already have an i7-2600K, I agree that the performance gains just wouldn't be worthwhile though, as you won't see noticeably better performance than what you have, so you probably shouldn't bother.

Reactions: toniplavna