Why are my SATA hard drive transfer rates so slow?

scallanan

Honorable
Aug 11, 2013
I have a Seagate Barracuda 7200.9 (160GB) hard drive being used for windows installation, and I have a Western Digital WD10EVDS 1TB hard drive that I use for storing all my music, movies etc. I had some files on my Seagate drive, and started copying them to the WD one. Transfer rates at this very moment are at 524Kb/ps. It's taking 2 hours 20min to copy 3gb worth of files.

Why is this, and what can I do about it? They're all connected via sata internal connectors. I should be expecting transfer rates of at least 50MB/s if not 100MB/s or more

Solution
make sure AHCI is enabled and if the drive is very fragmented it will take longer to transfer as it fills in the spaces.

if you dont have AHCI enabled you need to change a registry entry in windows first before you enable it or windows will not boot:

1. Startup "Regedit
2. Open HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE / SYSTEM / CurrentControlset / Services
3. Open msahci
4. In the right field left click on "start" and go to Modify
5. In the value Data field enter "0" and click "ok"
6. exit "Regedit"
7. reboot and enable AHCI in bios.
make sure AHCI is enabled and if the drive is very fragmented it will take longer to transfer as it fills in the spaces.

if you dont have AHCI enabled you need to change a registry entry in windows first before you enable it or windows will not boot:

1. Startup "Regedit
3. Open msahci
6. exit "Regedit"

Solution

hassan_8727

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2012
I have done this process but still i m getting the same transfoer speed of about 1MBps only. Please recommend some other solution if possible. contact me at hassan_8727 AT yahoo DOT com

1. Startup "Regedit
3. Open msahci
6. exit "Regedit"