jonah1825

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2010
hey guys I love to learn new things about my computer all the time and by tinkering with it and trolling these forums I have learned a lot and actually I was able to custom order a super PC from Cyberpower

Anyways, my question is simply WHY BENCHMARK??

I know benchmarking is related to overclocking and testing new settings but I was wondering say I did not want to overclock but simply wanted to have my computer at the most optimal settings. Will benchmarking help me? What kind of things can it tell me? My i5 750 is already a bit OC'ed at 3.0 Ghz and just wanted to know if benchmarking will lead me to change other settings as well. Thanks!

overshocked

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2009

I would have hoped that the first thing you would have learned is to not buy a PC from cyber power. [:thegreatgrapeape:5]

Anyway, i bench to compare my system with other people like jsc said.

randomkid

Distinguished

Lol... but at least he already custom order. The first time I bought PC for my kids, I just went to the store and pick our what looks good on the shelf. The way I look at it now, It was a horrible build and grossly imbalanced. As I learned about PC building, I upgraded it at considerable expense until the parts balanced out. I was able to resell some of the spare parts but not all and at great loss... Oh well... :)

One reason is to determine points of diminishing returns. For example....

Should you run a 920 at 4.4 Ghz (HT on) on every boot if it provided little benefit ? For everyday tasks, I notice performance increases start diminishing at about 3.4 Ghz.....so I have the 920 set to run at 3.7 Ghz on an everyday boot profile which keeps CPU temps in low to mid 50's.........turning of HT doesn't diminish game performance most times so running at 4.2 still keeps CPU moderately cool....so when gaming, selecting a different OC profile on boot is an option.