Why Blizzard Should Enable LAN to SC2/D3

Status
Not open for further replies.

akoegle

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2009
How about all the custom maps that will come out that you just want to coop with your friends at home? LAN would make that much more enjoyable.

Ramar

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2009
I've spent many a dreary-eyed weekend in a house with no Net, or at least not strong enough to do any more than barely surf while stealing a neighbors, playing CoD and Warcraft 3 with my friends. This really is a stupid move on their part. =/

Snowbum

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2009
Starcraft w/o lan support is simply stupid. I have played more hours of Starcraft over LAN then I have over battlenet.

the_one111

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2008
[citation][nom]Snowbum[/nom]Starcraft w/o lan support is simply stupid. I have played more hours of Starcraft over LAN then I have over battlenet.[/citation]
I know, I never played SC besides on LAN!

Blizzard has truly F***ed up on this one.

willv

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2009
will battle.net have advertisements? if so, that is the only reason i can see them wanting to funnel all game play to there. starcraft without lan is equal to a computer without the internet. they need one another. i'm keeping my money in my pocket

agnickolov

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2006
I suspect the form of piracy Blizzard meant is not stealing the game. As a long ago Diablo II player I still remember the many hacks that plagued the LAN and Open Battle.net game modes - these occasionally even slipped through into the closed Battle.net realms. However, I fail to see how LAN mode is to blame here (perhaps it makes it easier to create the hacks in the first place?) since this was mostly a problem with open Battle.net...

Aragorn

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2005
I was planning to be online on launch day for this game but at this point I may pass entirely as I really only play with freinds on LANs. There is officially no real point to me buying this now.

Shandris

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2009
It's a bummer to hear about no LAN, but I have an optimistic speculation... Blizzard may just be doing this to create a fuzz and will eventually incorporate the LAN towards game release date to show to the customers how much they value feekbacks. This may push the sales of the game because customer are likely to think that Blizzard is still a good company to invest money in, and we get what we want, LAN support. It also wouldn't be a bad idea to have an online-activated LAN support; where you have to activate the legit copy on B.net first before getting the LAN support... Just my two cents here.

carpwrist

Distinguished
May 5, 2009
Now that I think about it, I only played a total of 10 online games of Starcraft, while playing countless LAN games.

Maybe the truck comment isn't that much of an exaggeration.

Mr_Man

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2008
In one sense, that's like Ford saying that your new truck can't drive on dirt roads.
Obviously, that's a bit of an exaggeration.
Actually, that's a pretty good analogy! I wish I'd thought of that myself.

haze4peace

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2009
Starcraft 2 without LAN support just doesn't make any sense at all. That game is perfect for LANs. I spent many many hours playing the original with friends on a LAN. Most fun I ever had, one of the reasons why starcraft is my favorite game of all time. Bring back LAN support for SC2!
The lack of LAN for Diablo 3 doesn't bug me too much though personally, but it should still be there.

maobao

Distinguished
May 14, 2009
Actually folks at Team Liquid have a article on the underground lan play called haofang, sorry to lazy to source the article but its there.

Anyway Haofang in China links lan together using a simple program using lan to show a max of 255 games or so. Millions of players are able to bypass the need of buying starcraft through this because use of lan mean no need to authorize through blizzard.(People can use spawn and just play for free basically.)

Further more when Blizzard went forward to take legal action it was found that nothing was against the EULA since it just a giant Lan network, this results in a loophole which there probably trying to address.

In a bussiness view its better to shaft smaller North American market a little for the huge Asia market profit wise, who knows if this will be hacked or not but i guess blizzard will be able to take legal action this time around.

maobao

Distinguished
May 14, 2009
[citation][nom]maobao[/nom]Actually folks at Team Liquid have a article on the underground lan play called haofang, sorry to lazy to source the article but its there.Anyway Haofang in China links lan together using a simple program using lan to show a max of 255 games or so. Millions of players are able to bypass the need of buying starcraft through this because use of lan mean no need to authorize through blizzard.(People can use spawn and just play for free basically.)Further more when Blizzard went forward to take legal action it was found that nothing was against the EULA since it just a giant Lan network, this results in a loophole which there probably trying to address.In a bussiness view its better to shaft smaller North American market a little for the huge Asia market profit wise, who knows if this will be hacked or not but i guess blizzard will be able to take legal action this time around.[/citation]

Source : http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=96782

zaam

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2009
My theory is that LAN will be enabled in one of the future releases of SC2, Legacy of the Void perhaps? Then, they will say "Look, we finally enabled LAN support in this version! Now buy this one too!"

They purposely cripple the first game to make the subsequent expansions look better. I wouldn't be surprised if every SC2 version they release will have some sort of artificial hinderance forcing to you buy all 3 if you want all features enabled.

Timbo70

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2009
When I emailed blizzard about a Linux version they used LAN problems as an excuse not to develop one, although an OSX version will exist.

echdskech

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2007
This issue might just follow the way of Spore and their DRM fiasco. I wouldn't be surprised if SC2 would be pirated to hell and back just to prove their "protection" is less than useless. I wouldn't be surprised either if someone cooks up a hacked server to provide LAN capabilities as well.

Then that makes one wonder why pirates and hackers seem to care more about Blizzard's (potential) customers than Blizzard.

willv

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2009
[citation][nom]zaam[/nom]My theory is that LAN will be enabled in one of the future releases of SC2, Legacy of the Void perhaps? Then, they will say "Look, we finally enabled LAN support in this version! Now buy this one too!"They purposely cripple the first game to make the subsequent expansions look better. I wouldn't be surprised if every SC2 version they release will have some sort of artificial hinderance forcing to you buy all 3 if you want all features enabled.[/citation]

microsoft practices this kind of product development. make vista work like crap and then dangle windows 7 in front of everyone like candy.

I've only played SC through battle.net a few times. I can't tell you how many times I've heard people yelling down dorm hallways saying a SC game was starting, and people should join. It's gotta be over 9000.

Status
Not open for further replies.