Why Can't I Reduce Partition Size of C for more than 455GB?

bruce20

Honorable
Feb 23, 2013
Hi guys, I just bought a new laptop with 1TB hard drive and 24GB SSD. It only had 1 partition of 910GB & a Recovery partition. Now I'm trying to repartition the Primary drive (C), but I'm noticing that I can't reduce C's partition size less than 455GB? I want to make it 100 GB.

Please help. Thanks.

breakfastdude

Honorable
Dec 18, 2013
If you can't resize it from Windows Disk Management, you can try to use Partition Wizard http://www.partitionwizard.com/ . But first, did you buy your laptop preinstalled with windows 8.1? Because messing with your normal partitions can render your Refresh/Reset functionalities useless (meaning you won't be able to restore/use your recovery anymore), and it's a big pain in the *ss to fix.

bruce20

Honorable
Feb 23, 2013

Yes Win 8.1 came preinstalled. But why on earth Windows Disk Management can't resize it below 455GB???

breakfastdude

Honorable
Dec 18, 2013
That's becayuse there's an unmovable file in the middle of the partition (probably an important Windows file that's in use), and Partition Wizard makes it work around this by moving that file before entering Windows (yes, you would have to restart to let Partition Wizard do its job). Again, I must warn you, simply creating an extra partition on your notebook with a preinstalled Windows 8.1 will most probably render your Reset / Refresh options useless. I've been there, and it's not a nice experience especially if your notebook doesn't come with a recovery disc (which is most usually the case with notebooks that come preinstalled with Win 8.1).

bruce20

Honorable
Feb 23, 2013

OK, So how about if I do disk defragmentation to organize all files in C and then I shut down and restart? Will it work fine using the Windows Disk Management Tool? I really dont want to use Partition Wizard.

bruce20

Honorable
Feb 23, 2013

But in case I use a 3rd party disk partition tool, why its risky if I don't change the recovery drive or its path?

EaseUS Partition Master Free it should be able to move any files and allow the partition to be shrunk.
http://www.partition-tool.com/personal.htm

Sometimes Defrag can actually help I have done it many times when it is just a file from a program or game sitting in the way(This was Win7 however.). I have shrunk the windows partition on windows 8 systems as well(but maybe not as far as you want to shrink.).

WARNING
Whatever you do, just pull back the c: from the end of the disk do not move the starting position or mess with other partitions as this can lead to boot problems with the system.

In some cases something as simple as shrinking another partition will cause things like the companies restore options or even windows to fail to boot.

Windows starts from a small partition(system reserved or uefi[efi] system partition on most systems) that points to the partition windows is installed on for most systems.

bruce20

Honorable
Feb 23, 2013

I've tried defragmentation couple of times, but no use. Yes, I've 2 small partitions in the Disk Management Tool area, I think one of them is EFI as well, they're like 400Mb or so.

OK How about I do this.
1). If I DO NOT Change the above 2 small boot as well as the recovery partitions,
2). And I delete other 2 local partitions that I MADE out of the other 450GB on the Hard Drive to make them Unallocated Space.
3). Then I use the above Disk Partition tool to Shrink C from 455 to 150.
4). This will leave C at 150GB at the top and the rest will be as unallocated space.
5). And then I use this unallocated space to make further partitions.
6). AGAIN, I WILL NOT TOUCH THE RECOVERY AS WELL AS THE BOOT PARTITIONS.

Will this help, without causing ANY KIND OF PROBLEM?
Thanks.

breakfastdude

Honorable
Dec 18, 2013
I've tried defragmentation couple of times, but no use. Yes, I've 2 small partitions in the Disk Management Tool area, I think one of them is EFI as well, they're like 400Mb or so.

OK How about I do this.
1). If I DO NOT Change the above 2 small boot as well as the recovery partitions,
2). And I delete other 2 local partitions that I MADE out of the other 450GB on the Hard Drive to make them Unallocated Space.
3). Then I use the above Disk Partition tool to Shrink C from 455 to 150.
4). This will leave C at 150GB at the top and the rest will be as unallocated space.
5). And then I use this unallocated space to make further partitions.
6). AGAIN, I WILL NOT TOUCH THE RECOVERY AS WELL AS THE BOOT PARTITIONS.

Will this help, without causing ANY KIND OF PROBLEM?
Thanks.

[/quotemsg]

It's still gonna mess up your reset/refresh functions. It's not about not touching the recovery partitions, it's about messing with the partition table. Adding in a new partition could potentially change the partition tag of your recovery partitions (there are 2 in win 8.1, each with a different function), but the pointer to those partitions do not update themselves. This pointer is what connects your refresh/reset option to your recovery partitions, and when it points to an invalid partition, recovery is a no-go.

bruce20

Honorable
Feb 23, 2013

OK, how about this article?
http://mindwithheart.wordpress.com/2012/11/18/windows-8-fix-you-cannot-shrink-a-volume-beyond-the-point-where-any-unmovable-files-are-located/

Is it safe & legit? And can I enable both after I'm done with the partitioning? Without harming anything?

Yes those are safe things to do(no short term harm at all). I turn off hibernation on SSD systems to save space(It can take as much space as your system memory).

I have disabled the page file and system restore before making a drive image(again to save space.).

The other software should be able to deal with any files in the way for you however. Heck even using something like a linux live cd with gparted would also let you manage partitions.

Please note that turning off hibernation will slow down Windows 8 boot times because it also turns off a feature that allows windows to log off and hibernate when you shut down.

Truthfully, I don't know the answer to the problem on this one. I've never heard one way or another on the partitioning issue. I do know that the "recovery drive" is only a partition on your hard drive. It's not a separate disk. Given that, I would advise on listening to the ones that say that it does pose a risk of messing up your entire system. If they are right (and I believe that they are) the only safe thing to do is leave it alone unless you know EXACTLY what you are doing.

Partitioning a drive with data already on it is something that I consider to be very dangerous. Ideally, you would want to partition a drive before you even have data on it. And this is VERY important: DO NOT format the drive because you will lose all data.

I just thought of this next idea, which you may have already thought of yourself......
Create a clone of your hard drive. Make SURE that it is a "clone" and not just a backup (you will need an additional hard drive to do this. Once this is done, simply format you hard drive and create the partitions immediately afterwards. This will erase ALL data on the disk, but you can then just transfer the data on the clone disk back to your original hard drive. The manufacturer of your hard drive will more than likely have cloning software available for free download on their site. Here is a good example.......
I bought a Samsung 840 Pro SSD. This SSD came with Samsung Magician, and EXCELLENT cloning utility. Only problem is that it is only compatible with Samsung SSD's. Many manufacturers do have a cloning utility, but most require that at least one of the disks to be from that particular manufacturer. What is the make and model of the hard drive and I will locate a suitable cloning too (if you choose to go with this method). Compared to your other options, this is going to be the safest.

breakfastdude

Honorable
Dec 18, 2013
To the OP, most of the answers posted here are quite safe, in the sense that you will be able to partition your drive successfully. The only point I'm trying to push here is that after the partitioning, you'll most probably end up with a win8.1 environment that works, but without the reset/refresh feature (the only way you can reinstall win8.1 with your license intact with these notebooks that come preinstalled with them). If that's not important to you, then by all means proceed to your partitioning.
Now if you really want to partition AND still have the refresh/reset options available after, dustinhunt78's suggestion is a good one.
Also, I have posted a guide to recover the reset/refresh options if you've accidentally partitioned your drive in the notebookreview forums. But I cannot guarantee that that will work on your machine. http://forum.notebookreview.com/windows-os-software/739524-windows-8-1-oem-couldnt-refresh-reset-after-messing-partitions-here-some-suggestions.html

bruce20

Honorable
Feb 23, 2013

Can you link me to an article that explains how to clone the hard drive in details, just like you explained above? I just want to make sure I don't mess anything.

bruce20

Honorable
Feb 23, 2013

Thanks, but what is a reset/refresh feature? YES, I need the Win 8 license Safe & Sound.

No prob! Just let me know the make and model of your hard drive and I'll send you a link to your best option. As I said above, most companies offer cloning software for FREE for their own hard drives.

bruce20

Honorable
Feb 23, 2013

I'm looking under Device Manager > Disk Drives and I can see 2 under it.

LITEONIT LMS 24
ST1000LM24

I'm not sure which one is 1TB & which is 24SSD. Or you can suggest how can I find the exact names?

What you have there is a hybrid drive. It is one hard drive. Basically, the 24GB is nothing but "glorified cache". And while I couldn't find cloning software for your specific brand, I'm sending you a link that offers 5 free disk cloning tools. Just pick one and go with it. :) I assure you that it is very easy to do. After you complete it, let me know how it went. I would also like to know which one you went with.

http://www.techrepublic.com/blog/five-apps/five-free-and-reliable-cloning-tools/

bruce20

Honorable
Feb 23, 2013

OK, I'll go with Macrium Reflect Free to clone. I've a spare 1TB Passport size hard drive, I can use it for it. As you mentioned Format the hard drive and make partitions immediately afterwards. Please tell me, Will I only format C Drive? And how I'll format it, I'm following which process? (is that the same as we do, when system boots up, & we hit F10/F11 etc?

Also, usually when we do this, we Boot from a CD/DVD rom using a Bootable OS installation disc. How we'll install the Win 8.1 again? (I'm familiar with the traditional process we always do, but this scenario (No DVD Rom, No OS Disc & Win 8.1) is a bit new for me. Can you please link to some relevant article that can guide me through the process?
Thanks.

bruce20

Honorable
Feb 23, 2013

And once we turn on the hibernation back on, will it speed up boot time again?

First clone the disk. Then, use the new disk as your primary hard drive. You will have to do this because you cannot format the disk that you're actually running the OS on. By setting up your original disk as a secondary drive, you can format it.

The easiest way for me to format a disk is to click on the start button on the bottom left of your screen, type in "Create and format disk partitions" and hit enter. This will open up the disk manager and you can format from there.

bruce20

Honorable
Feb 23, 2013

OK. I just spoke with the tech guy from where I purchased the laptop. He said first I've to make a recovery backup, using the "HP Recovery Manger" on a Flash Drive (32 GB).

(I'm doing it right now. The Screen says, "Copy Image - Creating Recovery Image".

He said, once this is done, Next I've to restore the computer back to factory default settings, using the HP Recovery Manager > Recovery Environment etc. What you think about this Option?

breakfastdude

Honorable
Dec 18, 2013

I think that would be the best option before doing your partitions. Keep your recovery media in a safe place, as from what I know that can only be done once.