Question Why can't my devices connect to the same network properly?

Sep 21, 2024
I have a modem router in my basement and its range cannot reach the first floor, so i connect a LAN cable to the WAN port of the router and then connect the LAN cable to an 8-port switch to share the internet with my old computer, then move it all along the wall to the first floor, and connect it to a D-Link modem.

I set the D-Link to bridge mode to prevent any IP set on it. It's now ok when I connect to it but sometimes some PCs and phones can't access the internet via that setup.

I can't find where the problem is, can someone explain that for me?

Ralston18

Titan
Connection path being the following line diagram where ----> represents an Ethernet cable:

ISP === (coax, DSL, fiber) ===> Modem ---->[WAN Port] Router [LAN Port] ----> [LAN port]8 Port Switch [LAN port] ---- wall connection -----> [LAN port] D-link modem/router [LAN ports] -----> Wired Network devices.

And Router ~~~~~ >Wireless devices.

Feel free to edit and correct my line diagram as necessary.

Only one router should be enabled to provide network DHCP IP addresses.

The D-Link modem may not be correctly configured.

Make and model information for all modems, routers, and modem/routers if combined? IP addresses? Make and model switch?

Also run "ipconfig /all" on a working computer that has internet access and do the same on another computer that does not have internet access.

You should be able to copy and paste the full results of the "ipconfig /all" command without needing to retype everything.

Sep 21, 2024
ISP === (coax, DSL, fiber) ===> (tp-link_Archer c50)Modem /Router [WAN Port] ----> [LAN port]8 Port Switch [LAN port] ---- wall connection -----> [LAN port] (D-link DSL-124 ) bridge mode [LAN ports] -----> Wired Network devices.
its as exactly as what this diagram says, i just added the models too , to mention that there is only one router in the way and the dlink modem router is settled on bridge mode so it wouldn't be any ip conflict between routers.
i just encounter some strange problem today when it was just my phone that connected to the D-link that use bridge mode, because there was only my phone connected it provides internet connection but when other devices starting to connect, the internet goes off and there is no connection via the phone...

here is the ip config result for my acer nitro laptop:

Wireless LAN adapter Wi-Fi:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) Wi-Fi 6 AX201 160MHz
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : A8-7E-EA-97-6B-E8
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.107(Preferred)
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Sunday, September 22, 2024 3:33:06 PM
Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Sunday, September 22, 2024 5:33:06 PM
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled

which WAN interface to use on D-link : Ethernet WAN.
protocol: bridge

how can about phone devices, what should i do about them?
if anything needed tell me to send the information.

Ralston18

Titan
IPv6 disabled - correct?

One immediate concern:

The router's (which one?) lease time is only 2 hours. Technically should not make a difference but I suggest changing that router's lease time to at least 24 hours.

Which router is 192.168.1.1 (Default Gateway)? Likely the Archer. Confirm.

Another suggestion is that the DNS Servers be changed to Google's 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4

Overall, I believe that there are IP address conflicts at the root of it all....

= = = =

D-Link router: disable its' router functions, configure as an Access Point with the incoming wired connection connected to one of the LAN ports (not WAN).

What IP address has been assigned to the D-Link router?

If I am following correctly the D-Link router/Access Point should be a static IP address. 192.168.1.2 provided that that IP address has not been configured for some other network device.

And do remember to doublecheck subnet masking. All subnet masks should be 255.255.255.0 - barring some specific and known reason or requirement to do otherwise.

Sep 21, 2024
IPv6 disabled

ok ill change the lease time to 24 h

the archer is the default gateway and the d-link is 192.168.1.2

is it realy helpful to change the dns server to google?

about ip confliction, i think as you think but dont know where i missed the part
-----

about the router functions, when i set the modem ip mode to bridge mode it wouldn't disable all the function of it?
------
there is something i noticed when trying to check my phone subnet mask, i connect that to the Archer and see the router ip is 192.168.1.2 and realize the 5GH and 2.4GH channels are have different router ip.
2.4 gh : 192.168.1.1
5 gh: 192.168.1.2 (same as the d-link ip)

should i change the d-link router ip?

Make sure the DHCP function in the dlink router is off. The only way your phone can know about the second gateway address is if the dlink router told the phone

When a router is running in true AP mode it is basically a dumb switch with wifi radios. The IP address is only used to configure the device no other device traffic will use it.

Having 2 DHCP servers on your network can causes you all kinds of problems.

Partially you want to use google dns or maybe cloudflare because they support encrypted DNS. They also are not just 1 server that IP address is duplicated in almost every major city in the world so the performance is better than any DNS your ISP could provide

Sep 21, 2024
can you simply and detailly explain the ip's, modes and settings of the two network device that one provides internet and another is just an access point using for extending the internet range?

So this is a extremely old sticky post on the wireless forum. This still is perfectly valid especially for routers that still use DSL.
Most modern routers have a AP function where you just click a box and it does most these things for you.

This explains in detail how you do this manually and should work on every router.

If we ignore fancy business network only your main router can provide the DHCP function. Your end device send out a broadcast message that basically says someone give me my network settings. When you have mulitple routers/servers running dhcp the end device will randomly choose. All the DHCP serers will respond giving out different information and many times that will not work because of how consumer routers work.

So I would read the sticky mostly so you know how to set this up manually and can verify that your router when you set it AP mode is doing stuff like disabling the DHCP function.

Reactions: Morteza_NW