Question Why did my GPU boost itself while idle for no reason?

klonjack

Reputable
Jan 13, 2019
Okay here's the whole story I guess. I turned off my computer yesterday prior going to sleep and everything was fine(still is just the weird issue I'm about to share).
On the morning I prior to turning it on I wiped some dust of with a dry cloth from my side vent. After I turned it on and started msi afterburner and hwinfo I saw that my GPU's idle temp are above average( it usually idles 24-29 degrees celsius) but this time it was 31 and going up and my clock speeds were at max.I checked everything in the task manager and saw no general gpu usage and generally no usage of ANY kind at all since I have pretty much removed everything from windows so i can dedicate it to gaming and use virtual machines for sutfing the web and getting work done. Anyway I did not start my VMs or any other application prior to the ones I mentioned above.
I did kill a few processes thinking that it would fix the issue.... sadly it did not.
After that I uninstalled my GPU drivers via the control panel and then restarted my PC and did a clean install of my GPU drivers and then the issue was gone.

Here are my specs
CPU: Intel Core i9 9900k 3.60GHz
GPU: GeForce 4080 16GB
RAM: 32GB
Motherboard: MSI Z390 Gaming Edge AC(MS-7B17)
BIOS/UEFI Ver: E7B17IMS.A80
BIOS/UEFI Build Date: 10/12/2020
PSU: Seasonic Vertex GX-1200(I got this as soon as it came out and NO the 1000W version was NOT available)

GPU drivers are the same version as the one I uninstalled 531.41(I upgrade every 4 months)
OS is Windows 10 ver. 20H2(I can't upgrade since I removed Windows update so I have to reinstall Windows to get the full benefits of my 4080 no need to tell me that)

Anyway can anyone explain to me why this happened and/or occurred and/or what caused it please?

Thank you in advance

EDIT 1: I added the aditional info that @Lutfij advised to add
EDIT 2: I got this GPU in january

Last edited:

Lutfij

Titan
After that I uninstalled my GPU drivers via the control panel and then restarted my PC and did a clean install of my GPU drivers and then the issue was gone.
You use DDU to remove all GPU drivers from your platform. In order to reinstall the GPU driver for your system's discrete GPU, you manually install said driver sourced from Nvidia's support site, in an elevated command, i.e, Right click installer>Run as Administrator.

OS is Windows 10 ver. 20H2(I can't upgrade since I removed Windows update so I have to reinstall Windows to get the full benefits of my 4080 no need to tell me that)
That could also be another issue that could snow ball.

Your specs are incomplete, you only included the processor, the amount of ram and your discrete GPU. You should include your full system's specs including the BIOS version for your motherboard and the age of the PSU.

klonjack

Reputable
Jan 13, 2019
Thanks for the tip on the drivers will keep that in mind in the future thanks.

Still I did add the extra info you recommended to add. How can they be related to the issue though(I'm genuinely curious and NOT nitpicking)?

klonjack

Reputable
Jan 13, 2019
So problem solved!

If this happens again, try just a restart only (not shut down) and see if the problem goes away.
I don't think you read my entire post....
Anyway I know the problem is solved and all but I'm just interested in what caused and/or why my clocks to boost themselves and stay that way for 5 min prior to me uninstalling the drivers.
I guess you can say I'm interested if there's a specific cause for, be it scientific or whatever.