[SOLVED] Why disabling hyper threading improved performace in my case?

Cristian_Maior

Prominent
Aug 25, 2019
Hello! I have a pc with the following specs: Ryzen 5 2400g, Gtx 1060 6gb, 8gb ram 2400mhz, 500w psu. I have low fps in any game, under 60 even on lowest, low resources usage either. I disabled the HT and now cpu and gpu stay most of the time above 80 % while playing. What is the problem that holds back my rig when HT is on?

Solution
yeah like i said i got no more answers. On a intel xeon e3 1270-v about same performance as ryzen 5 1400 i got + 60 fps on high with geforce gtx 1060 6gb in battlefield v. i only tested one game though. It seems very strange your hyperthread performance is this bad.

j121

Reputable
Nov 9, 2017
i tried a 4 core/ 8 Thread xeon with gtx 1060 6gb on a older system a few weeks ago and the performance got alot better . More fluid in games. Its possible that in the games that only use four cores they get better optimized only running four cores but 4 cores/8 threads should be a advantage.
If you get under 60 fps on lowest i would say something isnt right.
your Computer can run hotter when using all threads . have you checked the temp while playing a game ? It is possible if running hot that it downclocks itself to keep heat down.

j121

Reputable
Nov 9, 2017
ok i got no idea why it acts like that then. i agree with you its strange. performance should get better.
Turning off hyperthreading could make single core performance stronger and older games coded for single core performance could benefit from that still you shouldnt get that bad fps on low settings.

Is all your parts new ?
what is your psu?

Last edited:

Cristian_Maior

Prominent
Aug 25, 2019
Yes, it is a pre built pc, brand new. Here where I live it's a decent brand, Enjoy, and it's 80+ bronze. I think it's enough power, I know if the psu can not handle the rig it just dies... So I don't know what to do!

Last edited:
The CPU being much busier with only 4 threads (vice 8) would be expected, and, not really an improvement in itself unless the 1% lows and/or average framerates increased with it.

2400 MHz RAM clocks are a tad low for a 2400G (3200 MHz RAM XMP clocks are most folks' goals with 2200G/2400G), and, 8 GB of RAM is very minimal for Win10 for most these days...; is the 8 GB of RAM a single stick? SIngle channel access (if running a single 8 GB stick) strangles memory bandwidth compared to proper dual channel access (if applicable), as well...

Cristian_Maior

Prominent
Aug 25, 2019
The CPU being much busier with only 4 threads (vice 8) would be expected, and, not really an improvement in itself unless the 1% lows and/or average framerates increased with it.

2400 MHz RAM clocks are a tad low for a 2400G (3200 MHz RAM XMP clocks are most folks' goals with 2200G/2400G), and, 8 GB of RAM is very minimal for Win10 for most these days...; is the 8 GB of RAM a single stick? SIngle channel access (if running a single 8 GB stick) strangles memory bandwidth compared to proper dual channel access (if applicable), as well...
ok i got no idea why it acts like that then. i agree with you its strange. performance should get better.
Turning off hyperthreading could make single core performance stronger and older games coded for single core performance could benefit from that still you shouldnt get that bad fps on low settings.

Is all your parts new ?
what is your psu?

I know what are you saying but with HT on I struggle to reach 45 fps, even on low, now everything is great, higher usage on gpu and cpu and higher fps, even 100 fps... Yes I have a single stick, 8gb and in my opinion it's enough to play games, 16gb is better I know. But why is frequency so import? Ddr3 memory means it's unusable? Please let me know why I need so much mhz

j121

Reputable
Nov 9, 2017
2400 mhz ram is enough , it matters more if your using a built in gpu like the 2400gs built in gpu.
even with 8 gb at 2400 mhz you should get alot better fps. dual channel and 16 gb would make small improvement but something is wrong. are you using high performance mode or balanced Power mode?

j121

Reputable
Nov 9, 2017
yeah like i said i got no more answers. On a intel xeon e3 1270-v about same performance as ryzen 5 1400 i got + 60 fps on high with geforce gtx 1060 6gb in battlefield v. i only tested one game though. It seems very strange your hyperthread performance is this bad.

Solution
Dec 14, 2020
I know what are you saying but with HT on I struggle to reach 45 fps, even on low, now everything is great, higher usage on gpu and cpu and higher fps, even 100 fps... Yes I have a single stick, 8gb and in my opinion it's enough to play games, 16gb is better I know. But why is frequency so import? Ddr3 memory means it's unusable? Please let me know why I need so much mhz
first of all, fast memory makes a huge difference on ryzen especially if it is dual channel (two ram sticks) but on intel, memory speeds only makes about a 10 fps difference. but what is your ram ddr generation? if it is ddr3 that could be the problem. but i mean you could change to a dual channel ram and faster ram. but make sure that the new ram is ddr4.