Question Why do I get low frame rates AND screen tearing?

Oct 27, 2019
Hi!

So I have recently upgraded my computer with a AMD Ryzen 5 1600, and a AMD radeon RX 5700.
However with most games I get very low frame rates, and also a lot of screen tearing.
The games where I notice it the most is:

- The evil within 2 (It runs at like 45 fps at the most, and changing the setting doesn't do anything.)

- The surge 2 (55fps, and major screen tearing.)

And even smaller games such as Project Zomboid can drop down to 20fps. (I know it's early access, but still.)

I have reinstalled my drivers multiple times, and done a clean reset twice, but to no avail.

My rig is:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1600 Six-Core Processor 3.20 GHz (I even overclocked it to 4.0 which did improve it a bit.)

GPU: AMD Radeon RX 5700

16 RAM

200 GB SSD ( I have tried installing one of the games on it, but it didn't improve the framerate.)

2TB Harddrive.

I don't understand why I have this issue.
I have a pretty old screen, so maybe that could be the reason for the screen tearing?
But that doesn't explain the framerates.
Is there a way to check if everything is running correctly?

Thanks in advance!

Oct 27, 2019
I used to have an MSI Geforce gtx 970, and I sadly can't remember the CPU name.

I did a fresh windows install and re-formated both my SSD and harddrive.

I have tried with two different screens.
One was a HP LP2465 and used an DVI adapter.
The other one was a smaller Panasonic tv with HDMI cable.

I am using the default of 1920 x 1200.
I have tried lowering the resolution, but everything just looks messed up that way.

Oct 27, 2019
I have tried using V-sync and that solves the tearing issue.
However the framerate goes to under 30.
And if I use V-sync for the monitor (Some games have that option) I get a solid 30.

WildCard999

Titan
What speed is your memory? AMD Ryzen CPU's rely heavily on fast memory in dual channel. From my own testing using a Ryzen 2600 the difference between 2133 & 3200 on Destiny 2 was around 25 FPS. Tested with Division 2 and while there was no FPS difference the 2133 had frequent FPS dips that would dip like 15-20 FPS. 3200 was stable with hardly any dips and when they did occur it was like 5-7 FPS at the most.

I am unfamiliar with what all is required for installing AMD GPU drivers...

Nvidia has the one package, where express mode does it all...

Are you sure you are installing needed AMD GPU drivers, and not relying on MS-suppied default drivers installed at the WIndows install?

30 fps is pathetic...

Are you perhaps stuck in Economy mode? all mainboard chipset drivers installed?

Is your CPU sustaining at least 3.6-3.8 GHz or so on all cores? temps under control to ensure no throttling?

Oct 27, 2019
I always use clean install when I update.
Well, I haven't installed any drivers other than for my GPU.
And I have triple checked that they are the correct ones.
I haven't done anything with the chipset, I'm not even sure what that is.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Just to clarify fresh install, your op mentions reset and in a later post said formatted. So you've created an USB install of the latest Win10 build, booted from it and performed a full wipe and reinstall?

What motherboard do you have? Installing chipset driver is recommended.

Oct 27, 2019
Yes, that is exactly what I meant!
Sorry for the confusion.
I'm not actually sure what kind of motherboard it is, but on device manager it says that I have all drivers installed.
I will check that when I get home, but I just left for work.. bad timing, I know xD

C855D

Honorable
Aug 1, 2014
Hi!

So I have recently upgraded my computer with a AMD Ryzen 5 1600, and a AMD radeon RX 5700.
However with most games I get very low frame rates, and also a lot of screen tearing.
The games where I notice it the most is:

- The evil within 2 (It runs at like 45 fps at the most, and changing the setting doesn't do anything.)

- The surge 2 (55fps, and major screen tearing.)

And even smaller games such as Project Zomboid can drop down to 20fps. (I know it's early access, but still.)

I have reinstalled my drivers multiple times, and done a clean reset twice, but to no avail.

My rig is:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1600 Six-Core Processor 3.20 GHz (I even overclocked it to 4.0 which did improve it a bit.)

GPU: AMD Radeon RX 5700

16 RAM

200 GB SSD ( I have tried installing one of the games on it, but it didn't improve the framerate.)

2TB Harddrive.

I don't understand why I have this issue.
I have a pretty old screen, so maybe that could be the reason for the screen tearing?
But that doesn't explain the framerates.
Is there a way to check if everything is running correctly?

Thanks in advance!
For the screen tearing, the monitor may be the issue. You also might want to download/check Radeon Settings (program) for the card. For the frame rates, you may be bottlenecking your processor, it is a gen 1 Ryzen after all. Also the speed of your RAM impacts frame rates more than expected. The difference between 2666 MHz and 3200 MHz RAM is more than 13 fps in certain games.

WildCard999

Titan
I'm guessing the reason it's 2400mhz is because I use two 1200mhz?
Alright, so getting two 1600mhz 8gb RAM sticks will improve the fps?
It's 2400 since DDR (Double Data Rate) so 1200x2=2400.

You want a 2x8gb kit @3200mhz DDR4. You can't mix it with your current kit and to get the full speed you'll need to enable DOCP in the motherboard BIOS.

This should help but I've played neither of those games so I don't know what sort of improvements you'll see.

Another thing worth asking is what PSU do you have?

Oct 27, 2019
Alright, so I was thinking of picking up these:

Corsair 16Gb DDR4 3200MHz CL16 Vengeance RGB PRO black.

Also I tried to see what kind of PSU I had, but the sticker with the name seems to be on the wrong side, so I cant see it Without taking everything apart.
Is there a way to check it through software?