Question Why do I have black screen after installing new CPU?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Dec 28, 2019
I recently just upgraded my CPU from a R5 1600 to a R7 2700x and I've been experiencing mouse stutters and and then get a black screen right after. I also end up getting a Video_Scheduler_internal_error message. I don't think it could be a gpu related issue as I have all drivers up to date and I even attempted to reinstall the drivers. I also re-installed my R5 1600 to see if it could be my gpu (Gigabyte RX5700 XT) but everything worked fine. I was able to run Modern warfare on high settings and GTA V on high-ultra settings. I'm beginning to think that it could just be a defective R7 processor but I've heard that CPUs are the least likely of all components to be defective.

Motherboard: MSI B350 tomahawk

Gpu: Gigabyte RX5700 XT

CPU: Ryzen 7 2700x

PSU: EVGA 650Watt

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Yea I was trying to do a new install and then once I get to the windows setup I was gonna swap the new cpu in to see.

Can you say that again? Swapping cpu once you get to Windows setup. Im really hoping you didn't mean swap cpu while the PC has power.

It's still stuck on post? Doesn't look like it's doing anything so yeah, pretty much no choice but to power down and try again.

Dec 28, 2019
Noooo. I meant I was going to turn off pc when windows setup begins and then swap cpu.

And I powered off and swapped cpu but now looks like it's on a boot loop. I've never had so much of a mess like this happen before

Afro_ninja199

Reputable
Aug 10, 2019
What is Video_tdr_failure?
The main cause of this error seems to be faulty, outdated or corrupted graphics drivers. Now TDR in VIDEO_TDR_FAILURE stands for Timeout, Detection, and Recovery components of Windows.Jan 26, 2019

Dec 28, 2019
I had already made media installer with the older cpu installed so then I had to swap cpu right before the setup has begun because having in the new cpu was so unstable that it would black/blue screen before I could even try and hit the restart button

boju

Titan
Ambassador
I had already made media installer with the older cpu installed so then I had to swap cpu right before the setup has begun because having in the new cpu was so unstable that it would black/blue screen before I could even try and hit the restart button

Do you get bios screen? Can you access it? You might have fast boot enabled and is why you think installing cpu after restart is your only option.

Dec 28, 2019
It was setting everything up but then it put me back to where I want to install windows once again. Do i have to change boot setting again on bios to make it boot onto the hard drive instead of flash drive?

Dec 28, 2019
New cpu is installed as well as the new ram. Speed is 3000mhz and timings are set at 15-17-17-35.

And as soon as I downloaded the drivers for the graphics card the same issue began to happen. Now this is where it gets interesting because when windows had finished installing I checked cpu stats on task manager and it showed that the cpu was only at around 2.3GHz and then once I installed driver it boosted up to 3.9GHz. And everytime it black screens and comes back on the GHz seems to fluctuate back down to around 3.2 and then repeats