[SOLVED] Why do most PC hardware site still test in 720 p instead of the standard right now of 1080p?

lastguytom

Commendable
Nov 23, 2018
I see most big PC internet reviewers are still test in the console way of graphics, this does favor Intel, everyone has moved on from 2010 standards-laptops are for gaming , but low end or budget are not. If you are going to spend 1,000 then you can build a fairly good gaming desktop pc--look at AMD prices and 470 MB. Keep laptops to yourschool work or job--game on a desktop, the experience is 1,000% better.

Solution
If I understand your implied question - it is something like "Why test CPUs with the resolution and features turned down on the GPU?"

The answer is that you are testing the CPU, not the GPU, and so you want to load up the CPU as much as possible - you don't want it waiting on the GPU. Therefore you use a powerful GPU running as lightly loaded as possible.

At the opposite extreme, using a slow GPU, the CPU would always be waiting on the GPU and all CPUs would have similar scores, because they were all waiting on the GPU most of the time.

kanewolf

Titan
I see most big PC internet reviewers are still test in the console way of graphics, this does favor Intel, everyone has moved on from 2010 standards-laptops are for gaming , but low end or budget are not. If you are going to spend 1,000 then you can build a fairly good gaming desktop pc--look at AMD prices and 470 MB. Keep laptops to yourschool work or job--game on a desktop, the experience is 1,000% better.
Your post really has nothing to do with your title. But the reason a test might be performed at 720p is to ENSURE that the graphics card is not the limiting factor. If you are testing CPU performance, you want zero impedance from the graphics card. 720p guarantees that.

If I understand your implied question - it is something like "Why test CPUs with the resolution and features turned down on the GPU?"

The answer is that you are testing the CPU, not the GPU, and so you want to load up the CPU as much as possible - you don't want it waiting on the GPU. Therefore you use a powerful GPU running as lightly loaded as possible.

At the opposite extreme, using a slow GPU, the CPU would always be waiting on the GPU and all CPUs would have similar scores, because they were all waiting on the GPU most of the time.

Reactions: SamirD
Solution