Question Why do my thermometers differ in readings ?

Airlane1979

Prominent
Aug 16, 2023
I have two room thermometers inside digital clock devices. They consistently differ by 1.3 degrees Celsius when placed adjacently. Why is this? It's a substantial difference. Should I obtain a mercury thermometer for a more accurate measure?

If the difference stays the same it is likely they were not set correctly at the factory. They technically can be set to display any number for any temperature. All depends on if there is any method to adjust this.

The thermometers I use in the kitchen want you to calibrate them using ice water to set zero.

Mercury is not going to be any more accurate...assuming you can even get thermometers with mercury. It all depends on how accurately they marked the tubes at the factory.

Even on amazon they sell thermometers that are designed to be extremely accurate. All depends on how accurate you want it to be.

Reactions: Airlane1979

Airlane1979

Prominent
Aug 16, 2023
If the difference stays the same it is likely they were not set correctly at the factory. They technically can be set to display any number for any temperature. All depends on if there is any method to adjust this.

The thermometers I use in the kitchen want you to calibrate them using ice water to set zero.

Mercury is not going to be any more accurate...assuming you can even get thermometers with mercury. It all depends on how accurately they marked the tubes at the factory.

Even on amazon they sell thermometers that are designed to be extremely accurate. All depends on how accurate you want it to be.
Interesting! Neither device has a means to calibrate it. So I'm not sure what the true temperature is.