Why do people say this about Epson

There seems to be some common agreement in this forum about Epson
printers. They say they are use a great deal of ink. They also say the
heads are more prone to clogging than other brands and you need to self
clean more frequently and that uses even more ink. People also complain
that the cost of the ink is high.

One bad thing that I was told by an Epson factory rep is that when one
color runs out the printer is designed to stop until it is replaced.
That is not true of Canon.

However, in many of the printer reviews in magazines they reviewer
claims that Epson's cost per page is less than HP but more than Canon.

If Epson is such an ink hog that how do the magazines claim a lower cost
per page than HP?

DaveC

Distinguished
May 8, 2004

On Tue, 1 Feb 2005 13:41:39 -0800, measekite wrote
(in article <nISLd.14$zr.7@newssvr23.news.prodigy.net>):

> If Epson is such an ink hog that how do the magazines claim a lower cost
> per page than HP?

This guy has tried all of them. He answers your question and more:

http://www.neilslade.com/Papers/inkjetstuff1.html

Be sure to click on the next link at the bottom of the page when you've read
that one. It goes on for 10 pages and is quite informative.

Good luck,

DaveC
me@privacy.net
This is an invalid return address
Please reply in the news group

On Tue, 01 Feb 2005 21:41:39 GMT, measekite <measekite@yahoo.com>
wrote:

>If Epson is such an ink hog that how do the magazines claim a lower cost
>per page than HP?

Probably because the magazine only tested on brand new printer. They
should let it run long enough to need a replacement ink carts, and the
problem will creep up to the point where the magazine would give Epson
poor rating.

wrote:

>There seems to be some common agreement in this forum about Epson
>printers. They say they are use a great deal of ink. They also say the
>heads are more prone to clogging than other brands and you need to self
>clean more frequently and that uses even more ink. People also complain
>that the cost of the ink is high.
>
>One bad thing that I was told by an Epson factory rep is that when one
>color runs out the printer is designed to stop until it is replaced.
>That is not true of Canon.
>
>However, in many of the printer reviews in magazines they reviewer
>claims that Epson's cost per page is less than HP but more than Canon.
>
>If Epson is such an ink hog that how do the magazines claim a lower cost
>per page than HP?

Look at the amount per page and the cots of Epson carts v. the costs
of HP carts.

--

Hecate - The Real One
Hecate@newsguy.com

budgie

On Tue, 01 Feb 2005 21:41:39 GMT, measekite <measekite@yahoo.com> wrote:

>There seems to be some common agreement in this forum about Epson
>printers. They say they are use a great deal of ink. They also say the
>heads are more prone to clogging than other brands and you need to self
>clean more frequently and that uses even more ink. People also complain
>that the cost of the ink is high.
>
>One bad thing that I was told by an Epson factory rep is that when one
>color runs out the printer is designed to stop until it is replaced.
>That is not true of Canon.
>
>However, in many of the printer reviews in magazines they reviewer
>claims that Epson's cost per page is less than HP but more than Canon.
>
>If Epson is such an ink hog that how do the magazines claim a lower cost
>per page than HP?

because the HP cartridge price is higher?

In article <0001HW.BE28196C00E75FEAF04075B0@news.individual.net>,
DaveC <me@privacy.net> wrote:
>On Tue, 1 Feb 2005 13:41:39 -0800, measekite wrote
>(in article <nISLd.14$zr.7@newssvr23.news.prodigy.net>):
>
>> If Epson is such an ink hog that how do the magazines claim a lower cost
>> per page than HP?
>
>This guy has tried all of them. He answers your question and more:
>
>http://www.neilslade.com/Papers/inkjetstuff1.html
>
>Be sure to click on the next link at the bottom of the page when you've read
>that one. It goes on for 10 pages and is quite informative.
>
>Good luck,
>--
>Please, no "Go Google this" replies. I wouldn't
>ask a question here if I hadn't done that already.
>
>DaveC
>me@privacy.net
>This is an invalid return address
>Please reply in the news group

I hang out with some professional photogs that use and recommend
atlex.com and mediastreet.com as the cheapest source of printer
supplies, including bulk-feed equipment. In some cases you need to
buy in quantity but the prices are said to be good. Pro-oriented. I
haven't used then yet. I'm still shopping for a printer.

http://www.hookbuilt.com/nypc/ps_supplies.html

--

a d y k e s @ p a n i x . c o m

Don't blame me. I voted for Gore.

"Impmon" <impmon@digi.mon> wrote in message
> On Tue, 01 Feb 2005 21:41:39 GMT, measekite <measekite@yahoo.com>
> wrote:
>
>>If Epson is such an ink hog that how do the magazines claim a lower cost
>>per page than HP?
>
> Probably because the magazine only tested on brand new printer. They
> should let it run long enough to need a replacement ink carts, and the
> problem will creep up to the point where the magazine would give Epson
> poor rating.

Your reading the wrong magazines - all the reviews I've read calculate the
cost of printing biased on new ink cartridges, coverage and paper cost.

Epsons are more expensive because you need to replace the whole printer when
the ink runs out... ;-)

Check these reviews..

http://www.amazon.com/gp/cdp/member-reviews/A1JV2EJ222A9A3/104-4296409-42215
53?

http://www.epinions.com/pr-Printers_Epson_Stylus_CX5200_Multifunction_Printe
r_Printer_C11C496001/display_~reviews/sec_~opinion_list/pp_~1/pa_~1

http://www.fixyourownprinter.com/forums/inkjet/26073

http://hardware.mcse.ms/message126925.html