Question Why do we erratically get BSOD 14c error only on multiple HDD/SSD, with M.2 SSD as Boot drive ?

Dec 2, 2022
We built 18 PC's Only multidrive sys, get this error. It started in April of 2022, after MS update (some systems were a year old [never a BSOD, EVER]). It happed erratically with MS Major (Features-Etc..) updates or power outages. Sometime a new Sys. Reserve partition is created on the Storage HDD/SSD. Sometimes the Sys. reserved Partition becomes the C: drive & C: drive becomes the E: drive. Second HDD/SSD is always D: "Storage" (unless Sys Reserve partition is created on this drive; then new Sys Reserve becomes D: & preexisting partition becomes C:)

I've contacted Asus (MoBo), AMD (Ryzen5 3600), Samsung (980 M.2), & MS. As I said, none of the sys that have only the M.2; have had this issue (Windows 10 Pro [All sys have this OS]). It does not matter if they are MBR or GPT, (one drive [M.2} NO BSOD [***14c] ERROR) The three hardware vendors (above) say MS (truly) only want 1 HDD/SSD on the sys. They want storage to be external/cloud. If multiple drives, then they want it to be a RAID configuration.

Asus cannot make M.2 be the 1st drive (Drive 0) (this may be the root of the problem).
Latest BIOS doesn't prevent the issue.

AMD says not a systemic issue. (MS chooses the boot drive from BIOS).

Samsung says: not a systemic issue. Look at MS, then doubtfully BIOS. Only thing that can assign Drives is OS.

MS says: I's not MS. & their fix (lol) Fresh install of Win10. NOT an option: too much other Software to install, setup, configure, register, ETC...
I have had to start from scratch on a few new builds. FYI, they had same error.

Converting M.2 & Storage to GPT seems to prevent error.

Systems with 2nd HDD/SSD connected as external, also do not ever have this error.
I used a splitter on front panel connector (on the MoBo) one leg goes to Front Panel, the other leg I converts to SATA6 connect to HDD/SSD mounted on inside so I can use Power from PS. It looks like regular HDD/SSD. MS sees this as External & never a problem even when it's MBR

I can sometimes repair in RE. and even a few with (Troubleshoot> System Repair). Almost never with Media Creation tool> repair this pc or Troubleshoot> Command Prompt> Diskpart. Even fewer are fixed with BootRec-fixmbr fixboot scanos rebuildBCD ETC.. I tried [ren Software Distrib.] and [uninstall latest Update] and lots of other things on the web.

EaseUS recovery work without fail lol
MS backup & Restore failed so much I refuse to use them anymore.

Anyone with any reason for this or ideals I'll welcome.

THx,
ItDeptTex

Colif

Win 11 Master
The three hardware vendors (above) say MS (truly) only want 1 HDD/SSD on the sys. They want storage to be external/cloud. If multiple drives, then they want it to be a RAID configuration.
ms are crazy then as raid not a good answer

Asus cannot make M.2 be the 1st drive (Drive 0) (this may be the root of the problem).
that shouldn't be a reason as my m.2 is drive 0. Not using Asus though.

BSOD:
Can you follow option one on the following link - here - and then do this step below: Small memory dumps - Have Windows Create a Small Memory Dump (Minidump) on BSOD - that creates a file in c windows/minidump after the next BSOD

1. Open Windows File Explore
  2. Navigate to C:\Windows\Minidump
  3. Copy the mini-dump files out onto your Desktop
  4. Do not use Winzip, use the built in facility in Windows
  5. Select those files on your Desktop, right click them and choose 'Send to' - Compressed (zipped) folder
  6. Upload the zip file to the Cloud (OneDrive, DropBox . . . etc.)
  7. Then post a link here to the zip file, so we can take a look for you . . .

Converting M.2 & Storage to GPT seems to prevent error.
you running MBR? Shouldn't need to convert storage drives really... shouldn't matter

Dec 2, 2022
They were set to Kernel Mem Dump. I have all logs just wasn't Minidump in log folder.
They are GPT. Depending on how you connect other drives as to what drive the M.2 is. It varies on diff PC's. That's why after some Major Win 10 Updates we get no Boot (14c Error) and now the storage Hdd has a Bootloader Partition on it. But that's NOT MS. Right! Asus BOIS, Samsung M.2 Don't create Partitions! ONLY MS DOES.
The issue I think is that MS want bootloader on 1st drive 1st Partition.
I say that because if we have only the M.2 (no other [storage]) drive then we have NEVER received this, Error.

Asus uses SATA 5 & 6 for the M.2 port on this MoBo; you have 6 diff SATA connectors & NO M.2 Connector
OR
You have 4 SATA connectors & 1 M.2 Connector.
That's may well be why MS doesn't see M.2 as 1st drive??? But the M.2 is only drive with OS on it ???

You said: your drive was (Drive 0) do you get this (14c) Error?? I'm puzzled.

Colif

Win 11 Master
if you have any kernel dumps, I can get someone else to look at them if you upload them.

The issue I think is that MS want bootloader on 1st drive 1st Partition.
that only applies to mbr drives, its where it looks.
GPT boot partition can be on anywhere on any drive, but MBR has to be on 1st partiton at least, I don't think it has to be 1st drive. It should look on 1st partition of all drives in pc.

You said: your drive was (Drive 0) do you get this (14c) Error?? I'm puzzled.
it could be because mine are GPT.
emYhMnN.jpg

EFI = Boot partition.

Colif

Win 11 Master
1 is MBR (FP) &
1 is GPT (FO).
i might be slow, but what does FP & FO mean??

Can you show screenshots from disk management? it would explain it better.

Sometimes the Sys. reserved Partition becomes the C: drive & C: drive becomes the E: drive. Second HDD/SSD is always D: "Storage" (unless Sys Reserve partition is created on this drive; then new Sys Reserve becomes D: & preexisting partition becomes C
According to screenshot, right now, FP is showing as G drive?

TRENDING THREADS