Question Why do you have to program every application one at a time to run on the dedicated GPU ?

nelska

Prominent
Oct 29, 2022
So, I want to disable my integrated graphics card and run my pc from the motherboard rather than plugging the monitor into the dedicated graphics card. To do so you have to select IGD integrated graphics in the BIOS. Start up, and go into device manager then disable integrated graphics. Once you do that the cpu will try and do everything until you go into graphics and force start each application one by one by switching it to performance mode. There's no other way to do this. I have intel I am assuming amd wont run from the motherboard period.

Changing graphics performance preferences for each application individually is the only way I found to get this to work.. Are there any universal settings for it? I know I am gunna catch a ton of flack for not plugging into the gpu itself but this was the goal. It runs once I program each application.. like I had said. I was testing if I could get the computer to run on amd. From the motherboard. and so far I am assuming it just doesn't want to without forcing the application.

Why does it bother you if some things run on the iGPU?
Games usually know to run on the better gpu and/or have settings in the game to switch gpus.
You only have to use the windows setting if you encounter a high demand app that runs on the igpu by default.

nelska

Prominent
Oct 29, 2022
Why does it bother you if some things run on the iGPU?
Games usually know to run on the better gpu and/or have settings in the game to switch gpus.
You only have to use the windows setting if you encounter a high demand app that runs on the igpu by default.
I figure the dedicated one is powerful enough to run itself. also if you it that way you get raw output on the monitor at 64hz. instead of 60hz.

nelska

Prominent
Oct 29, 2022
Everythings in working order. Thanks. I just don't believe you have to tell windows 10 to use the dedicated graphics card after you disable the integrated graphics driver. It literally tries to use the cpu still. lol. But theres no driver in it. because it was disabled. lol. Rubber band wack job. lol.

Everythings in working order. Thanks. I just don't believe you have to tell windows 10 to use the dedicated graphics card after you disable the integrated graphics driver. It literally tries to use the cpu still. lol. But theres no driver in it. because it was disabled. lol. Rubber band wack job. lol.
You can't use the igpu without windows having drivers for it, not even as a pass through because that port will only be active if the iGPU is active.
YOU are trying to still use the cpu.

nelska

Prominent
Oct 29, 2022
You can't use the igpu without windows having drivers for it, not even as a pass through because that port will only be active if the iGPU is active.
YOU are trying to still use the cpu.
The only way to actually get it to run how I was explaining it originally is to disable the Integrated graphics drivers in device manager and then set "graphics performance preferences" options for each individual program you need graphics for. Basically, the web browser and whatever games you plan on playing. You have to "choose" which graphics card you want to display them from. Or if you just leave it at "let windows decide". I believe that works too since theres only one option now that youve disabled the integrated graphics driver. lol. As long as you've physically set the app up to have to use the dedicated driver. it will. But, why on earth by default do you have to do all that if THERES A DEDICATED GRAPHICS CARD. lol. Windows doesnt recognize nvidia. by default. Unless you have integrated graphics on. and then intel will actually buff the dedicated card automatically. licensing issues. lol. or something.

nelska

Prominent
Oct 29, 2022
I just tested it. You cant even let windows decide. you have to choose the dedicated graphics card power saver or performance. either way it wont recognize it unless its an intel graphics card. im assuming arcs maybe. but i have nvidia.

This is a screenshot of me running a television adapter with a dedicated graphics card. While plugged into the motherboard. imgur.com/a/P95Ni6Y Imgur: The magic of the Internet

Last edited:
I just tested it. You cant even let windows decide. you have to choose the dedicated graphics card power saver or performance. either way it wont recognize it unless its an intel graphics card. im assuming arcs maybe. but i have nvidia.
As I already explained, the port on the mobo is only working if the iGPU is working, if you disable the igpu you disable the port.

I have an intel CPU with igpu and the monitor connected to the igpu and I play all my games from my 1050ti displayed on the monitor connected to the mobo/igpu.

Very rarely a game will run very slow because it will try to run on intel graphics and then I have to deal with that.

nelska

Prominent
Oct 29, 2022
As I already explained, the port on the mobo is only working if the iGPU is working, if you disable the igpu you disable the port.

I have an intel CPU with igpu and the monitor connected to the igpu and I play all my games from my 1050ti displayed on the monitor connected to the mobo/igpu.

Very rarely a game will run very slow because it will try to run on intel graphics and then I have to deal with that.
As far as I know theres no point in that at all because the because if you plug the monitor into the dedicated graphics card the igpu wont do anything at all. And I am trying to tell you if you go into the graphics device preferences and change the driver to use the dedicated graphics card. It will use the dedicated graphics card. I have my monitor plugged into the motherboard. And the igpu driver is disabled. All you do is disable it and it wont use it anymore. You can still use the port on the motherboard. You just use the dedicated graphics card instead or in tandum with the igpu. It's not worth using. It's a backwards bottleneck as far as I am aware of the concern. I feel like amd might be the idea. But, it is what it is.

And just to be clear here. I was simulating amd style computing. I have turned the enabled driver for the itegrated graphics card. But, for programs. you can dedicate that to the dedicated gpu. I wouldn't bottle neck the games itself. Leave the Igpu for browsing the web ect.

Last edited:

Ralston18

Titan
@nelska

I suggest that you update your posts with specific hardware and software specs, etc..

Make and model information for all components.

Video ports (iGPU, GPU) being used between computer and monitor(s). DVI, HDMI, DP?

Also include a list of the Applications involved. Which applications need to be "programmed"?

because i would rather upgrade my motherboard than downgrade my monitor. lol.
That doesn't make any sense.
Why do you have to downgrade?

You know - there are video cable adapters, if your monitor lacks appropriate video input.

You still haven't given us answer to some essential questions:
What model discrete graphics card are you using?​
What model monitor are you using?​

nelska

Prominent
Oct 29, 2022
I have 2 monitors. I use the 60hz samsung s20d300 because my 240hz k251 won't work with my motherboard. It doesn't support displayport. The gpu is a 1050ti. Which supports both monitors. I am not for using the dedicated gpu without an identical secondary monitor. I plan on upgrading my motherboard to support displayport and getting another k251. Thus freesyncing the two monitors.

Samsung LS20D300NH seems to have only VGA (DSUB) connection.

What is 240hz k251 ? Did you mean Acer Nitro KG251Q Z ?
That one has HDMI and DisplayPort.

What model 1050ti is it? What video outputs does it have?
It should have HDMI, Display Port, DVI outputs (depending on specific model).

For Samsung(VGA) monitor you could use HDMI to VGA adapter.
mnhd2vgae2.main.jpg

For Acer(DP) monitor just use DP cable.
12883.jpg

Last edited:

nelska

Prominent
Oct 29, 2022
Samsung LS20D300NH seems to have only VGA (DSUB) connection.

What is 240hz k251 ? Did you mean Acer Nitro KG251Q Z ?
That one has HDMI and DisplayPort.

What model 1050ti is it? What video outputs does it have?
It should have HDMI, Display Port, DVI outputs (depending on specific model).

For Samsung(VGA) monitor you could use HDMI to VGA adapter.
mnhd2vgae2.main.jpg

For Acer(DP) monitor just use DP cable.
12883.jpg
everything you say works. An adapter for the k251 is unncessary it can do hdmi to the motherboard. except for the hdmi port cant do 240hz and its a sad effect to do 120hz. That way.