Why do you play video games?

TheRedFox

Honorable
Apr 25, 2014
Hello, fellow gamers.

Firstly, I hope you didn't read the question in the voice of an angry parent or that of an accusing TV host. If you already did, I am sorry. It wasn't intended. Instead, the question that I've been recently thinking about is the following: what is it that we seek in games?

When I was a little kid, I was told that video games were simply a way to kill time, like playing checkers with your grandma or with friends, or playing football with your friends (or with grandma). However, later I found out that some games were different. They gave an opportunity to escape the "real world" and immerse oneself in a world of fascinating adventures. For the little me, this was amazing! (and for the teenage me, this was a lifesaver).

Now, having discovered that there is more than one purpose to gaming, I am curious about whether anyone else here has thought about and found new answers to why video games are so appealing. What do you think it is that we seek in games? What basic human needs do we want to satisfy? Do we seek a way to kill time, a challanging experience, a tool for escaping reality or, perhaps, a way to connenct with others (in the case of online games) while we can't or do not want to do so in reality? Let's discuss.

Looking forward to your answers.

I play games to have fun.
I still have other hobbies too.

As long as you are still doing your responsibilities correctly, nobody will yell at you for playing games.
You also still have to maintain your social relationship with people.
If you have problems due to any of this, it is possible that your gaming habit is actually an addiction.

aafusc2988

Honorable
Jan 8, 2015
I don't know really. I've been playing since I was a kid (I'll be 30 on Friday). Aside from going to my local bar to hang out with the other regulars, my only other hobby is pretty much gaming. When I'm not doing that, if I'm home, I'll just be chilling in the bed watching HBO or Netflix. Most of the time I'm hardly even at my PC. Keep buying tons of games and increasing my backlog and not playing them... I blame bundles.

TheRedFox

Honorable
Apr 25, 2014

I can definitely relate to this, my friend. Recently, I've become less interested in games and more interested in TV (which is ironic after experiencing the complete opposite a couple of years ago) and other activities. I just don't seem to have that sort of immersion anymore, and games have become more like time-killers than genuine out-of-this-world experiences. It almost feels like I'm growing up inside, which is a terrible thing given that I had promised to myself that I would always stay a child at heart :( . And I wonder how many people out there feel the same...

TheRedFox

Honorable
Apr 25, 2014

Either this is one of the best hidden ads I've ever seen or one of the saddest stories I've ever heard.

toshibitsu

Distinguished
There's many reasons for playing video games. Just like watching tv, playing a sport, using a computer, etc... I started playing video games around the same time I started using computers back in the early 80's. For me, both are just a normal every day part of life.

ReeDoK

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2017

I play video games because they can a have a great story, a great atmosphere, great characters. You can actually learn something from them. I like video games because I feel like I am in the game, in another world. You can do things that you can't do in real life. For me is a tool for escaping reality and a way to connect with others. I don't think I can live without video games... I'm honest :)