Question Why Does Chrome Browser Share History Between Profiles/Google Accounts On/If Using Same Computer Between Accounts?

Oct 19, 2022
I have just realized and tested something to which I never thought could be ... (this has nothing to do with sync between devices) ... i just seen that if you are sharing a computer say there is three people using one computer ... and they are all using chrome browser YET they have all their own accounts ... call it account 1, 2 and 3 ... well I would have never thought that account 1 can see history of account 2 ... or 3 ... and account 1 does NOT need to login to account 2 or 3 to see history ... thus then more so ... say all accounts are logged out ... thus no one is logged into chrome on said shared computer ... yet anyone can open then up chrome and see history of user 1,2 and 3 ... I cannot believe this ... thus what is purpose of profiles and accounts ... such is to keep separate and secured.

You may test this yourself to see if I am incorrect however I feel I am not and would like to hear from some of you your thoughts on this, as i would have thought once logged out of my account in google ... then say user 2 logs in they cannot see my history etc ... and worse is forget user 2 need not login ... anyone that has system can open a chrome and see full history from any said user.

As a security feature I find this very unusual, so unusual i think some of you may find it strange a swell for we would never think cross data is share or allowed between users and or more so when you are logged off :|

Thoughts?

Try testing it ... log into chrome google type in music or something get some history .. then log out ... and forget about even logging into a test account ... just log out and act as visitor, open chrome and walla all history there from every user! :| makes no sense to me ... no sense at all :| ... I really really cant believe this and perhaps many as myself simple never thought to such openness's and non secured, its like almost a given such data cannot be accessed, yet here we are finding yet another interesting factor in tech/security :|

QUESTION? Do all browsers allow cross shared open data like that per history? Yes I will test but no time at moment to which perhaps some of you may know answer off the fly ... Thx.

Last edited:

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
google makes their money collecting and then selling data for ads. combining the "accounts" gives them even more info than a single account making the info more valuable. there is 0 doubt in my mind this is on purpose and nothing you can do about it

well other than not using chrome. keep in mind they recently announced they were breaking all ad-blockers "for your protection"

need any more reasons to avoid chrome??

Oct 19, 2022
Perhaps it is one value to which you share/mention above ... yet even with multiple profiles separated and secured they will still get all the data as you reference inside of combine ... therefore I still cannot comprehend this security flaw in my humble opinion. But thanks for sharing/feedback as to then i guess one user confirming to what i have just noticed is true ... I am with disbelief on this and bet many would never even think such can be as is shared between users, using the same system :|

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
that is a way to have multiple "accounts" inside of a single chrome browser install. for instance you may want a work and a personal profile so the bookmarks and so on stay separate. this has nothing to do with separate windows accounts.

google will still combine all the info into a better ad profile but will keep stuff separate for you to look at.

Oct 19, 2022
Yes I see your point, bundle it up for vendor, yet make end users (us) feel as if they say "data is keep separate" chrome profile secured and separated ... which apparently is NOT ... yet most of us will not know and thus feel cozy/secure therein status quo ... go along with the flow and vendor places gain to data (which is fine i like business) but the fact of non transparency in security is a bit odd :|

Any others wish to chime in I would really like to hear ... as I am very surprised to see and find this history merge out ... am very surprised.