[SOLVED] Why does it seem all the graphic cards are out of stock?

ssal

Commendable
Aug 20, 2020
I am looking to upgrade my gpu to a RTX 3060 ti, or similar. But everywhere I look there is none in stock? I would like to purchase it at the regular price from established vendors, not from opportunistic sellers jacking up the price 300%. I'd like to keep my house after I bought the GPU.

Why is the shortage? And any intelligent guess of the supply situation?

Last edited:
Solution
I am looking to upgrade my gpu to a RTX 3060 ti, or similar. But everywhere I look there is none in stock? I would like to purchase it at the regular price from established vendors, not from opportunistic sellers jacking up the price 300%. I'd like to keep my house after I bought the GPU.

i assume you did not follow what's been happening for the past few months. nvidia 30 series have stock issues since the very beginning. and then we have scalpers and third mining wave to make things even worse. price going forward will continue to be inflated than original MSRP due to several factor. so even when stocks level becoming normal price will not. Asus for one...

USAFRet

Titan

They are out of stock, because they are out of stock.

Much hype for the 3xxx series, scalpers buying most of the stock, shilling them on fleabay.
Coin miners buying the rest.

If you want one at MSRP from a real vendor, you'll probably be waiting until summer.

i assume you did not follow what's been happening for the past few months. nvidia 30 series have stock issues since the very beginning. and then we have scalpers and third mining wave to make things even worse. price going forward will continue to be inflated than original MSRP due to several factor. so even when stocks level becoming normal price will not. Asus for one already announcing they will officially increase the price of their product like motherboard and graphic cards.

Solution

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
One of the best ways to get a card is to go straight to the manufacturer - well, not all of them are doing it, so you'll have to look around.
Might want to avoid Asus this time around if you're one of their fans; they've raised their prices, with the others expected to follow...

I'm really tempted to bite the bullet on one of those EVGA cards. It's not too bad, considering the model...

AntonyLovric

Distinguished
Tons of factors:

1. NVidia & Partners NOT producing any RTX 20XX cards or GTX 16XX cards. (All production moved to 30XX cards).

2. Bitcoin prices going up again.

3. Everyone wanting a gaming rig due to lock down. (People not spending $$$ vacationing.)

4. Cyberpunk 2077?

TStevens

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2011
I think an unrecognized but large factor in all these shortages is related to the new "Lean" practices.
Companies have moved to deep timing and "on time" inventories in recent years.

This works great to trim costs but as we are finding out in many sectors it is very subject to unexpected changes and interruptions.
As part of Lean practices companies don't want to warehouse or build capacity in advance.

This affects investment as well.

This is also evidenced in the 2cd round of toilet paper shortages. While the first round where consumers overbought was not predictable: The second shortage evidences these limitations. There is no ability to prepare with extra stocks and with lean practices and bringing online additional capacity takes a lot of advance planning and change and is not really desired.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
It's Covid, egged on by a really decent upgraded card (Ampere), and toasted by dropping prices.

Take the 3060ti for instance. It goes head to head with a 2080Super that retailed for $699. Msrp for the 3060ti is $399, $100 cheaper than a 2070Super.

Add to that the sheer boredom suffered by many teens told to stay home by parents, and then add to that the parents frustration at having a teen home 24hrs a day and a $399 investment with a $60 game is a bargain most parents will not pass up.

Kid gets to spend all day gaming, happy as a pig in slop, and the parents get their TV back, safe in the knowledge their kid is behaving, at home, and not hanging out in groups of other possible Covid carriers.

On top of all that is the scalpers. They'll pre-order the 5 item limit, get their gf or wife to pre-order another 5, get gramdma to pre-order 5 more, get their kid to pre-order 5 more, and before you know it, all 100 gpus are pre-ordered and gone until next shipment, and next shipment, and next shipment, and then the only 3060ti you can find is $599 from AcmeScalper.com

ssal

Commendable
Aug 20, 2020
try to read/watch news from just 1 source.
My sources includes that of US Dept. of Commerce which reports a record US trade deficit with China. That means China has to be able to produce and ship those products that the US bought.
Maybe you would call US Dept of Commerce data fake news?

USAFRet

Titan
My sources includes that of US Dept. of Commerce which reports a record US trade deficit with China. That means China has to be able to produce and ship those products that the US bought.
That means nothing of the sort.

Lack of stock for high end luxury game devices, due to scalpers and coin miners, is far far far down on the "trade deficit" scale.

rgd1101

Don't
that reminded me of a joke about air pilot and microsoft. the punchline was “I asked the guy in that building a simple question. The answer he gave me was 100 percent correct but absolutely useless,"

Reactions: Phaaze88

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Also have to take Customs into the effect too. I ordered a mITX case directly from Lian-Li. It was 'shipped' a week later, not unusual. From the factory it went to outbound customs where it sat on the docks for weeks, it was not considered s 'priority' shipment, it wasn't food nor medical supplies. From China by boat to Singapore. Sat in customs receiving for more weeks. Then moved to outbound customs, more weeks as it waited for space on the container ships. More weeks to get by boat to San Francisco customs, more weeks in inbound customs. Finally got through all that and 2 days later (air freight this time) it made its way to my door. 5 months later.

Newegg, Corsair, Amazon, NZXT etc, all those buy by the container, not partials. If there's only 'non-priority' room for 3 containers, nzxt gets to wait for the next boat, or the one after that... A container of masks will ship before a container of psu's. Even non-priority items get organized into more or less priority.

Nothing to do with trade deficit, everything to do with Covid and customs restrictions of what can actually 'ship' (almost nothing by air unless its a priority item). Could easily be ½million gpus sitting in containers in China, just waiting for the next available slot in the next readily available boat.