[SOLVED] Why does MS Paint change the bit depth in a PNG-file?

Oblivion77

Honorable
Jul 6, 2018
Hello everyone

I have been working with PNG-files in MS Paint, the Windows 10 version.

I have some questions, regarding why MS Paint changes the bit depth in a PNG-file.

Examples:
  1. I open MS Paint draw some lines on the white background and SAVE AS – bit depth 24
  2. I then reopen the picture and draw a line onto it with the drawing tool, and then SAVE – bit depth 32
  3. I make a picture from the bottom again, and SAVE AS (bit depth 24), I then reopen the picture and SAVE AS (without making any changes at all), the new saved file is bit depth 32 – is this a bug?
  4. I make a picture from the bottom again, and SAVE AS (bit depth 24), I then reopen the picture, copy the motive into a newly opened MS Paint window, and then SAVE AS – bit depth 24
  5. I open a PNG-file with bit depth 32, copy the motive into a newly opened MS Paint window, and then SAVE AS – bit depth 24

Does this function the same way in Windows 7?

I would very much like to try this out in Windows 7 aswell, but I haven’t been able to find a functioning Windows 7 MS Paint.
About MS Paint in Windows 7 Wikipedia says: This version supports viewing (but not saving) transparent PNG and ICO file formats and saves files in the .png file format by default…..
If MS Paint can’t save transparency, then why does it add an alpha-channel to the PNG-file?

Thanks in advance for clarifying and answering

Best regards
Emil

Solution
MS paint is not a professional image tool, and people using MS paint usually doesn't care if bit depht is 24 bit or higher.

If you want to have more control over the files then you'd simply get to use a better drawing program.
MS paint is not a professional image tool, and people using MS paint usually doesn't care if bit depht is 24 bit or higher.

If you want to have more control over the files then you'd simply get to use a better drawing program.

Solution