Question Why does my card get higher clock speeds than specified for it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bl.semenuk

Prominent
Nov 16, 2017
Definitely not an issue, I'm really just asking to educate myself. My card is the EVGA 1050Ti SSC and is rated at a base clock of 1366 MHz and a boost clock of 1480 MHz. However, when running a game it actually gets up to 1750. Whats up with that?

GPUs can hit higher GPU boost speeds than the default boost frequencies as long as there is thermal, power & voltage headroom. Therefore if the GPU temp, the power consumption and the GPU voltage are all low then you should see higher GPU boost clocks. However this boost will not last for a very long time because eventually as the GPU usage increases, the same thing will happen with temp, power and voltage and the GPU will return to more normal boost frequencies.

bl.semenuk

Prominent
Nov 16, 2017
GPUs can hit higher GPU boost speeds than the default boost frequencies as long as there is thermal, power & voltage headroom. Therefore if the GPU temp, the power consumption and the GPU voltage are all low then you should see higher GPU boost clocks. However this boost will not last for a very long time because eventually as the GPU usage increases, the same thing will happen with temp, power and voltage and the GPU will return to more normal boost frequencies.
Okay that makes sense. Will have to monitor a bit more to make sure this is the case! Thanks for the reply.

bl.semenuk

Prominent
Nov 16, 2017
Played Apex Legends for a good 2 hours and clock speeds remain between 1650 ~ 1771 MHz the whole time.
I started looking at other variants of this card and it turns out the speeds are more or less the same across the board, whether its a 1050 Ti, 1050Ti SC or 1050Ti SSC. This leads me to believe that they simply use the speed for the regular 1050Ti for all models, and when you purchase the SC or SSC the speeds will be higher, although they wont say so. Can anyone confirm this? Seems like a strange business model, why not advertise the speeds you will actually get if you purchase an overclocked model?

Played Apex Legends for a good 2 hours and clock speeds remain between 1650 ~ 1771 MHz the whole time.
I started looking at other variants of this card and it turns out the speeds are more or less the same across the board, whether its a 1050 Ti, 1050Ti SC or 1050Ti SSC. This leads me to believe that they simply use the speed for the regular 1050Ti for all models, and when you purchase the SC or SSC the speeds will be higher, although they wont say so. Can anyone confirm this? Seems like a strange business model, why not advertise the speeds you will actually get if you purchase an overclocked model?

Obviously every manufacturer should advertise the maximum boost clocks of each GPU model, especially if they come with factory overclocks (like your graphics card) but it's not an easy task and usually the boost frequency number you'll see in the specs will rarely appear during gaming. Because no GPU boost frequency is guaranteed since a lot of factors can change the end result. It's not only the temp, power, GPU usage and voltage that control the max GPU boost frequency but also the GPU cooler and the ambient room temperature can also change the end result. You may even see higher clocks in winter and lower in summer. On top of that the silicon lottery plays a big role as well. Every GPU chip that comes out from the factory (even from the same GPU line) doesn't have the same capabilities and can reach different max boost clocks. Finally each game doesn't stress the GPU in exactly the same way therefore you may see higher or lower max boost frequencies. Usually high GPU loads lead to lower max boost clocks and lower GPU loads cause higher boost clocks.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.