[SOLVED] Why does my computer keep crashing ?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Jachin1224

Prominent
Oct 6, 2019
Hello, I have had a reoccurring problem over the past year and I can’t diagnose the issue. Every month or so my computer starts to crash at random times , at first it happens slow. Maybe once a week and then it gradually starts to crash faster and faster until I can only be on it for a few minutes max. I figured it was dust , so I would clean my entire rig out and it would work for another month or two. But this time it is giving me problems. I’ve Tried everything I know how to do , I don’t have enough time to launch into safe mode to use windows repair . I’m thinking it might be my Ram or my power supply . And tips or advice would be much appreciated, thanks.

My specs are:
Msi 970 Gaming motherboard

Gtx 970 4gb Sc Edition

AMD Fx-8350 black edition

H100i Liquid Cooler

750 watt G2 Evega gold power supply

2 hyper x 8gb ram (x2)

4 fans : “cooling is not the issue , have checked several time the tempatures are all normal “

2tb Seagate hard drive

250gb Samsung solid state drive

Solution
Where did you get that mobo from? That honestly looks like spill residue from coffee or a coke. Or a capacitor has blown out and leaked, which would explain the crashes as voltages are no longer in spec.

Jachin1224

Prominent
Oct 6, 2019
CPUs get hot very quickly and built in safeguards initiate a shutdown. The temperature monitors may not even have time to record the extreme temperatures.
Oh alright. I completely cleaned out the radiator , maybe the radiator is retaining too much heat . The air compressor didn’t get all of the dust , that might lower the temps .

Ralston18

Titan
Air compressor? I do hope you mean a can of compressed air....

If not used/applied correctly air blasts can cause damage - e.g., if you made the fans wildly spin you can damage the fan bearings.

Or cause water to condense inside the computer...

Jachin1224

Prominent
Oct 6, 2019

If not used/applied correctly air blasts can cause damage - e.g., if you made the fans wildly spin you can damage the fan bearings.

Yea I did use my compressor I did it from far away and it is low psi , I’ve done it with other builds it is completely safe if you use it with care. I took the radiator out before I cleaned it as well. I let it dry for hours before I put it back in. As the fan bearing go I do not blow compressed air into them. I use isopropyl alcohol whipes to clean the fans. I am very careful when I do it. I will test to see if it works when it drys later today

Jachin1224

Prominent
Oct 6, 2019
Sorry not cpu I mean psu

Update on the pc, it’s working at the moment ! Thanks for the advice, any good softwares I should get to monitor temps?

Recheck the complete cpu cooling system first.
Reseat it ! Do not also forget the clean the old thermal paste and reapply using new one.
You are using aio water cooling, check if the pump is working and the water is really circulating...check for leakage, perhaps there is no more water in the loop. Older cooler might also have some sludge inside the cooling loop......man...this is why I stick with air cooler...

Jachin1224

Prominent
Oct 6, 2019
Recheck the complete cpu cooling system first.
Reseat it ! Do not also forget the clean the old thermal paste and reapply using new one.
You are using aio water cooling, check if the pump is working and the water is really circulating...check for leakage, perhaps there is no more water in the loop. Older cooler might also have some sludge inside the cooling loop......man...this is why I stick with air cooler...
Yea , I have thermal paste . Should I reapply? I think my pumps giving out . Do you think I should throw the stock cooler in there? I can definitely hear my pump, but I think it’s what you said . It may be clogged

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador
I was gonna try that , but it turns out it doesn’t fit on my motherboard it has this weird clip on the side of it
That clip is used to secure the cooler to these,

xEhDFNb.png

don't have those anymore?

Yea , I have thermal paste . Should I reapply? I think my pumps giving out . Do you think I should throw the stock cooler in there? I can definitely hear my pump, but I think it’s what you said . It may be clogged
I think you should try the stock cooler, if you still keep it.
Old thermal paste might be already bad (even unused), yes, it is best to apply new.
See if the crashes has been fixed.

...hmmm...but...
If the crashes persist there should be then something else...
If nothing helps against the crashing, getting new hardwares would be good too. This would be a big overhaul tho'.
You can go hunt the culprit and hoping to find one or simply go buy new hardwares...

Jachin1224

Prominent
Oct 6, 2019
I think you should try the stock cooler, if you still keep it.
Old thermal paste might be already bad (even unused), yes, it is best to apply new.
See if the crashes has been fixed.

...hmmm...but...
If the crashes persist there should be then something else...
If nothing helps against the crashing, getting new hardwares would be good too. This would be a big overhaul tho'.
You can go hunt the culprit and hoping to find one or simply go buy new hardwares...
I can’t use the stock cooler, I have unfortunately lost the brackets that hold the clip.

Jachin1224

Prominent
Oct 6, 2019
I have this odd substance on my board i can’t find any ways to send pictures, I saw it a long time ago but it never caused problems I have no idea how it got there
I have this odd substance on my board i can’t find any ways to send pictures
That clip is used to secure the cooler to these,

xEhDFNb.png

don't have those anymore?
when applying paste , I do one dab on the center of the cpu correct ?

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Size of a fat grain of rice dropped center of cpu. Both cooler and cpu should be isopropyl cleaned and dry. No lint. No fingerprints. Stick cooler/pump down and slight wiggle to spread the paste evenly, but try not to let up on the pressure, just attach.

Be careful with Samsung Magician. It works great, but some revisions are not intended for some older SSDs. My 840Pro 128Gb for instance has extreme issues with anything beyond version 4, took me hours to get it back bootable and restore all the data etc, just from using version 5.

Jachin1224

Prominent
Oct 6, 2019
Size of a fat grain of rice dropped center of cpu. Both cooler and cpu should be isopropyl cleaned and dry. No lint. No fingerprints. Stick cooler/pump down and slight wiggle to spread the paste evenly, but try not to let up on the pressure, just attach.

Be careful with Samsung Magician. It works great, but some revisions are not intended for some older SSDs. My 840Pro 128Gb for instance has extreme issues with anything beyond version 4, took me hours to get it back bootable and restore all the data etc, just from using version 5.
Thanks! The first time I applied it had thermal paste pre applied. I just added it Right now first time . I added a decent sized glob . I tightened it more than I should have I think , but the back plate is loose so I tightened it a little more than usual. Hope it does well. I also have a weird substance on my mother board , I saw it a while back and I still played for months so I don’t think that’s the issue, Do you know how to add pictures? I just want to know where it came from

Jachin1224

Prominent
Oct 6, 2019
Thanks! The first time I applied it had thermal paste pre applied. I just added it Right now first time . I added a decent sized glob . I tightened it more than I should have I think , but the back plate is loose so I tightened it a little more than usual. Hope it does well. I also have a weird substance on my mother board , I saw it a while back and I still played for months so I don’t think that’s the issue, Do you know how to add pictures? I just want to know where it came from

Last edited:

Jachin1224

Prominent
Oct 6, 2019
Where did you get that mobo from? That honestly looks like spill residue from coffee or a coke. Or a capacitor has blown out and leaked, which would explain the crashes as voltages are no longer in spec.
I got it on amazon from the actual retailer. And Yea I’m not sure. It wasn’t like that when I got it , it happened 3-4 months ago and it still ran like a beast , so I just figured It was okay. I don’t think it’s coffee or coke I don’t drink coke and I’m pretty careful cause I don’t wanna lose coffee. But it could be. I think it might be a capacitor. But I don’t think that would explain the high cpu temps would it?