Why does my hard drive never fragment?

xCyanideee

Honorable
Jun 19, 2012
Iv just defragged 3 laptops, they were heavily fragmented... however my PC has 0% fragmentation after 7months of hardcore use? I know this may sound silly to some, but i just want to know why?

I have an SSD 64GB C:/ & 2TB D:/ (which is half full). Obviously im talking about the D:/. My thinking was it's got something to do with my D:/ not have to windows file on it. Just to add the D:/ is mainly full of games (maybe that has something to do with it?)

Any light on this would be great :)

Jordan

zdbc13

Distinguished
Windows 7 does not defrag SSDs because they should never be defragged. It reduces their life. Also Windows 7 automatically defraggs any hard drive in the system so you don't have to worry about it. Try defraggler on the hard drive and it might optimize it a little.

Fragmentation only happens when you're moving files around, deleting and adding new files and such. If you're only reading the files, no fragmentation happens. Some games only (or mainly) write to a subfolder in your user folder, which will normally be on the boot drive (the C drive), even if the game itself is installed on another drive.