Question Why does my internet drop while running a speed test?

Jun 19, 2020
I can run a speed test, it first says 500 something Mb then after half a second it drops to 100 Mb something and then drops to staying in the 10-20mb range. When I'm downloading a game or updating ( such as call of duty) it tells me the speed and the speeds during that are only around 90mbs. I've looked everywhere to try to find a solution to this but no luck. I didn't have this problem before. I am wired via ethernet. it's not my cable or my wifi because I've tested it with another pc. I am paying for gigabit connection via Verizon.

DracoB0T

Reputable
Apr 23, 2020
Dear User,

Hi! Currently, the COVID-19 is putting stress on the companies, and the broadband speeds are in shambles. Also, broadband speeds are never consistent, that's any company even before COVID-19. You could go from 89mbps to 65, and then 32, and then 110. There's nothing you can really do, but you could try to reset your router and see if it works.

Also, when downloading or updating games, they never use all of your WiFi speed. When GTA V came out and people were demanding to download the game tons of time, the developers limited it to 5mbps to everyone. However, say if you have 500mbps Internet connection, and if you use all of it trying to download a game, that's bad. This means that you can't use the WiFi on other devices because using it all to download a game or update it.

Jun 19, 2020
Dear User,

Hi! Currently, the COVID-19 is putting stress on the companies, and the broadband speeds are in shambles. Also, broadband speeds are never consistent, that's any company even before COVID-19. You could go from 89mbps to 65, and then 32, and then 110. There's nothing you can really do, but you could try to reset your router and see if it works.

Also, when downloading or updating games, they never use all of your WiFi speed. When GTA V came out and people were demanding to download the game tons of time, the developers limited it to 5mbps to everyone. However, say if you have 500mbps Internet connection, and if you use all of it trying to download a game, that's bad. This means that you can't use the WiFi on other devices because using it all to download a game or update it.
this has been happening since January. I pay for gigabit connection (1000mbs) I used to get consistent 900s. My games would download and update at around 300mbs. I also stated that this only happens on this pc. My other pc is getting speeds in the 900s.