Question Why does my pc boot turn off then boot again after i installed new ram?

Feb 1, 2024
Hello i have a question about i guess an issue i have my pc starts then turns off and then boots normally and works now im not sure why it boot cycles but its happening since i installed new ram i went from 2x8gb plain kingston sticks to 2 kits of 8gbx2 kingston fury rgb they are matching models they are completely the same but when i put them in i started having this issue when they are in standard 2400mhz they dont have this issue and when i manually clock or use d.o.c.p i power on the system it turns off and then it turns on again in task manager it says that it is running 3600mhz it passed 40 minutes of prime95 with 0 errors and warnings, i tested sticks in 1 3 slot config and they would boot loop with d.o.c.p until it enabled 2400mhz again and would show 2400mhz in task manager as well while on 2 4 slots both sticks ran flawlessly and d.o.c.p worked without any boot loops it was flawless and worked 3600mhz i updated my bios as well it didnt resolve that issue it still has the power on off then on again problem it shows up all of the ram its set to 3600mhz and i dont know what is the issue so i turn to the good people here hopefully someone can figure it out

My specs:
Ryzen 7 3700x
Asus rog strix b450f-gaming (5102 was the older bios i had and i installed 5302 it sadly didnt fix the issue)
And i currently am having 2 kits of the same ram which are KF436C17BBAK2/16 and they are kingston fury rgb rams
I know i have enough power since i bought a brand new bequiet 850w 80+ plat psu so im pretty sure that is not any cause of this issue

I could really use some help and advice as to how i may resolve the multiple booting and i am grateful for any little wisdom and knowledge

Solution
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Asus rog strix b450f-gaming (5102 was the older bios i had and i installed 5302 it sadly didnt fix the issue)
You might want to clear the CMOS after you've verified that the BIOS was flashed successfully with the latest version.

Do so by disconnecting from the wall and display, then remove the CMOS battery, then press and hold down the power button for 30 seconds. Replace the CMOS battery after 30 mins.

Lutfij

Titan

You might want to clear the CMOS after you've verified that the BIOS was flashed successfully with the latest version.

Do so by disconnecting from the wall and display, then remove the CMOS battery, then press and hold down the power button for 30 seconds. Replace the CMOS battery after 30 mins.

Solution
Feb 1, 2024

Well i cleared the cmos like 3 times with shorting the pins and the issue was persistant but i can unplug it and leave it over night since its almost 1AM here right now so i can try and see if that works wont hurt me in any way if i attempt
Thx for the tip

Sorry, your two sticks are not the same.
They need to be from a matched kit.
The delay is likely your motherboard recognizing that the specs are not compatible and tries different solutions to find something that works.

Use cpu-Z to see what settings are used, and explicitly set them up yourself first.

Feb 1, 2024
Sorry, your two sticks are not the same.
They need to be from a matched kit.
The delay is likely your motherboard recognizing that the specs are not compatible and tries different solutions to find something that works.

Use cpu-Z to see what settings are used, and explicitly set them up yourself first.
You literarly lost me because ive overclocked cpus,gpus,fixed bent pins on my previous cpu but ram oc i did not do exepct for switching from 1600mhz to 1866 for example on my previous pc and now i just have d.o.c.p for that as well

Ill do resarch on that im guessing im gonna have to play with the timmings of the ram and stuff like that and i have screenshots from cpu-z and i could use your opinion on them if you would be kind because im kinda new in ram-oc and all ram involved stuff

View: https://imgur.com/a/KxTXcWT

Last edited:
I am no expert here, particularly where ryzen is concerned.
All ram starts out at a basic speed, namely 1200.
In dual channel operation, that is doubled to 2400.
By applying higher voltage of 1.35v instead of 1.2(overclocking) well binned chips can be run faster.
It would appear that your ram is advertised to run at 3600 speed, and it apparently does.
xmp settings(ryzen calls it something else like expo or DOCP) are embedded in the ram and called out at initialization time to run faster.
But, the motherboard needed to change some of the timings to get it to run properly.
In the motherboard, explicit ram settings should allow you to specify
3600 speed
cas 17 and the other settings .

Feb 1, 2024
I am no expert here, particularly where ryzen is concerned.
All ram starts out at a basic speed, namely 1200.
In dual channel operation, that is doubled to 2400.
By applying higher voltage of 1.35v instead of 1.2(overclocking) well binned chips can be run faster.
It would appear that your ram is advertised to run at 3600 speed, and it apparently does.
xmp settings(ryzen calls it something else like expo or DOCP) are embedded in the ram and called out at initialization time to run faster.
But, the motherboard needed to change some of the timings to get it to run properly.
In the motherboard, explicit ram settings should allow you to specify
3600 speed
cas 17 and the other settings .
Yeah i get what youre saying i did some research before bed and now i know what you said in the 1st message because of the cas,tcl,trc,etc it doesnt like those settings that the profile is applying and i should copy the ones manually into the bios after it does the double boot

Feb 1, 2024
Hello i have a question about i guess an issue i have my pc starts then turns off and then boots normally and works now im not sure why it boot cycles but its happening since i installed new ram i went from 2x8gb plain kingston sticks to 2 kits of 8gbx2 kingston fury rgb they are matching models they are completely the same but when i put them in i started having this issue when they are in standard 2400mhz they dont have this issue and when i manually clock or use d.o.c.p i power on the system it turns off and then it turns on again in task manager it says that it is running 3600mhz it passed 40 minutes of prime95 with 0 errors and warnings, i tested sticks in 1 3 slot config and they would boot loop with d.o.c.p until it enabled 2400mhz again and would show 2400mhz in task manager as well while on 2 4 slots both sticks ran flawlessly and d.o.c.p worked without any boot loops it was flawless and worked 3600mhz i updated my bios as well it didnt resolve that issue it still has the power on off then on again problem it shows up all of the ram its set to 3600mhz and i dont know what is the issue so i turn to the good people here hopefully someone can figure it out

My specs:
Ryzen 7 3700x
And i currently am having 2 kits of the same ram which are KF436C17BBAK2/16 and they are kingston fury rgb rams
I know i have enough power since i bought a brand new bequiet 850w 80+ plat psu so im pretty sure that is not any cause of this issue

I could really use some help and advice as to how i may resolve the multiple booting and i am grateful for any little wisdom and knowledge
Quick update for anyone who is watching because of curiosity or having the same issue and wants to resolve it i have booted my pc 4 times now after removing the cmos as the 1st reply to the post said and after enabling d.o.c.p as well it has not double booted since then now i dont know if the problem is solved since 3 times in a row isnt a lot but i will keep this posted so someone can have a solution if they have the same issue

Feb 1, 2024

This is the solution it hasnt double booted since i did this so ty so much hopefully it will work for someone else who has this same issue