[SOLVED] Why does my PC restart randomly?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 20, 2019
So, my PC is already a few years old but around half a year ago i got myself an upgrade wich included a new motherboard, CPU, RAM, and PSU. All worked well for the last few months but since 3 days my PC keeps restarting without any error message or bluescreen. It happens most of the time when i start games wich made me think it has to do with my graphics card but after many hours of trying fixes and watching my temps and loads i cant see any reason for the restarts.
Event Viewer says its a Kernel-Power Event ID 41 but i dont really know what to do with that information.

Here are my specs:
CPU: Ryzen 5 1600
Ram: 2x8GB 2133hz G.skill DDR4
Motherboard: asus prime a320m-k
GPU: Sapphire Radeon rx 480 8gb nitro+
PSU: Cooler Master Masterwatt 550

Solution
So it isn't the white/lite version. Which is much better! The MasterWatt still aren't the best, but should be sufficient.

However based on what you are describing, it's pretty common for the GPU or PSU to cause that issue, especially of a PSU that is mediocre/poor.

What can quite commonly happen is when a game is launched, the GPU has a sudden power draw from the PSU, some PSUs can either fault under that draw, or have hyper-sensitive protections in place that then force the PSU to shutdown believing that there is over voltage for example. And this can be quite common in poorer PSUs.

I would agree by starting to RMA the PSU, and then retest.
Sep 20, 2019
I only have my old one but that one doesnt support my graphics card. Is there maybe some way to check the psu like a benchmark or something? I dont really know much about voltage etc. when it comes to PCs.

Sep 20, 2019
go in bios and uncheck system restart on power lost you could also use occt to test psu check voltages before test and on test for a max of 10 minutes .
I just looked in the bios but the only setting about booting after power lost i can make is to set either normal boot or fast boot. Am going to try the occt test later today. My only worry is that i might break other parts of my PC if i keep letting those crashes happen by testing.

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Firstly, kernel event 41 is just a simple "power loss, shutfown process not followed" error, and means nothng for the problem. You would get the same error simply pressing the reset button on your case. It doesn't indicate any cause of the problem, just that the problem is causing a shut down.

How long have you had the PSU, what MasterWatt is it? Masterwatt lite?

Have you monitored CPU and GPU temperatures under load?
Can you recreate the shutdown?
Do you have latest BIOS installed?

Once software and firmware is eliminated, it typically goes:
PSU > GPU > RAM > MB > CPU. It's just a case of gradually identifying the cause.

There is no software solution for testing parts that are 100% guaranteed. You could theoretically watch voltages in HWInfo say for your 12, 3, and 5V rails, but that software is often inaccurate, but it can give a good indactor if anything is obviously wrong.

The only guaranteed way of finding the component in question is to swap the component out and retest.

Sep 20, 2019
Firstly, kernel event 41 is just a simple "power loss, shutfown process not followed" error, and means nothng for the problem. You would get the same error simply pressing the reset button on your case. It doesn't indicate any cause of the problem, just that the problem is causing a shut down.

How long have you had the PSU, what MasterWatt is it? Masterwatt lite?

Have you monitored CPU and GPU temperatures under load?
Can you recreate the shutdown?
Do you have latest BIOS installed?

Once software and firmware is eliminated, it typically goes:
PSU > GPU > RAM > MB > CPU. It's just a case of gradually identifying the cause.

There is no software solution for testing parts that are 100% guaranteed. You could theoretically watch voltages in HWInfo say for your 12, 3, and 5V rails, but that software is often inaccurate, but it can give a good indactor if anything is obviously wrong.

The only guaranteed way of finding the component in question is to swap the component out and retest.
So, the PSU is only ~6 months old and on the Box it says Masterwatt 550(model number MPX-5501-AMAAB).
I logged my Temps during crash and the highest one was my Gpu at 77°C. I can recreate the Shutdown by simply starting a game but it only happens around 50% of the time. BIOS installed is the latest one and all my Drivers are up-to-date aswell. I also watched HWinfo during crashes but i cant see any highs or lows in Voltage its all pretty stable.
Right now i dont really know what to do so im just going to return my PSU and try a new one

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
So it isn't the white/lite version. Which is much better! The MasterWatt still aren't the best, but should be sufficient.

However based on what you are describing, it's pretty common for the GPU or PSU to cause that issue, especially of a PSU that is mediocre/poor.

What can quite commonly happen is when a game is launched, the GPU has a sudden power draw from the PSU, some PSUs can either fault under that draw, or have hyper-sensitive protections in place that then force the PSU to shutdown believing that there is over voltage for example. And this can be quite common in poorer PSUs.

Solution
Sep 20, 2019

Ok thanks for the help.
I'll write again when i tried the new PSU.

Reactions: PC Tailor
Status
Not open for further replies.