Question Why does my PC shutdown

Sep 13, 2024
My PC will just shutdown and restart, most commonly while I am gaming. But it has happened also while I play videos on VLC. Most frustrating thing is, I am unable to reproduce the issue :/

I bought my machine back in 2020, it was also happening at that time, i have never been able to figure out what is the cause of this and how to fix it, Back in 2020 I procrastinated fixing it, I sent an email to my online shop i buy from, but they are in another country and it needed to be returned, which was too much hassle and I was hoping it was going to be fixed by itself, but it it has still persisted now into 2024

It happens more on my Ubuntu OS, compared to Windows 10 - I have dual boot.
It happens more when I play games, specially on higher settings and more modern games, rarely when I play Dota 2 on mid settings, Age of empires, more common when I play GTA 5, Hogwarts Legacy, Red dead redemption

I think Dota on Ubuntu/Linu causes more crashes than Dota on Windows

Not sure if it's hardware or software related. If it's a software issue, shouldn't it just quit the game and not cause a violent restart of the entire system?

My hardware I bought back in 2020:

Case
(1x) PHANTEKS Enthoo Pro 2 Big-Tower, Tempered Glass, ARGB - schwarz
Mainboard
(1x) MSI X470 Gaming Plus Max, AMD X470-Mainboard, Sockel AM4
Processor
(1x) AMD Ryzen 5 2600X 3,6 GHz (Pinnacle Ridge) Sockel AM4 - boxed
CPU Cooler
(1x) Arctic Liquid Freezer II CPU Komplett-Wasserkühlung - 240mm
Memory
(1x) Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro schwarz, DDR4-3200, CL16 - 64 GB Quad-Kit
Graphics Card
(1x) Gigabyte Radeon RX 5700 XT Gaming OC 8G, 8192 MB GDDR6
SSD (M.2, NVMe)
(1x) KIOXIA Exceria NVMe Series, M.2 Typ 2280 - 1 TB
Additional Fan
(2x) EX Noiseblocker BlackSilent Pro Fan PLPS - 120mm PWM, BULK
Power Supply
(1x) Kolink KL-850M Netzteil, 80 PLUS Bronze, modular - 850 Watt
Illumination
(1x) BitFenix Alchemy 3.0 Magnetic Addressable RGB-LED-Strip Kit - 2x 40cm, 2x 20 LEDs

Things I have tried:
hwinfo dump, two crashes sample, one took 20min, another 30min https://jmp.sh/RSulNa3j https://jmp.sh/U2huBqmc
stress testing with OCCT for 5-10minutes on GPU/CPU doesn't produce crash https://www.ocbase.com/download

I plan to buy some thermal gel, and then maybe open CPU and see if it needs applying.

Jul 10, 2024
Hi, was thinking it might be CPU temps ?? Stress test should have showed something if it was too hot. HWMonitor is a good utility to monitor temps, fans, cpu cores etc.
Is the cpu, gpu or ram overclocked ??
Does it ever crash in Safe Mode ??

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

What BIOS version are you on for your motherboard? You can try and use DDU to remove all GPU drivers(Intel, Nvidia and AMD) in Safe Mode, then manually reinstall with the latest GPU driver sourced from AMD's support site in an elevated command.

You might want to also contact a friend or neighbor who own a reliably built PSU with at least 650W of power at the entire CP's disposal.

When in Windows, do you see anything flagged with an error code?

Sep 13, 2024
Hi, was thinking it might be CPU temps ?? Stress test should have showed something if it was too hot. HWMonitor is a good utility to monitor temps, fans, cpu cores etc.
Is the cpu, gpu or ram overclocked ??
Does it ever crash in Safe Mode ??

not overclocked, I haven't tried safe mode

Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

What BIOS version are you on for your motherboard? You can try and use DDU to remove all GPU drivers(Intel, Nvidia and AMD) in Safe Mode, then manually reinstall with the latest GPU driver sourced from AMD's support site in an elevated command.

You might want to also contact a friend or neighbor who own a reliably built PSU with at least 650W of power at the entire CP's disposal.

When in Windows, do you see anything flagged with an error code?

My BIOS might be outdated, I am looking into updating it. I installed GPU drivers a year ago or so, shouldn't they be automatically updated? I didn't use Safe Mode when I did it. I can try this

I will ask a friend for a PSU, or see if i can source a good one

In windows, I have seen AMD error message/notification, to report a crash report to AMD after the restart