Question Why does my PC's internet speed, approximately 10 minutes after I reconnect to my Wi-Fi, drastically decrease?

Jul 15, 2023
Starting from an unknown time, the issue I addressed has started occurring. I initially thought the issue wasn't an abnormal occurrence, however, the more I investigated it, the more I realized how peculiar it was. I have a decent router and modem combo and I besides my family are connected to it (wireless connection). When I test internet connection speeds at random times during day on devices except my PC, it displays the download speed as approximately 40Mbps/s. However, on my PC, about 10 minutes after a Router reconnection, the internet speed drastically decreases, and this happens only and only on my PC. Here are the images of the speed tests I conducted.

This is the average speed I get prior to reconnecting to the Wi-Fi.
H17TCarpTECLv_hWT7Redw.png

This is the average speed I get post reconnection.

VZC77v_jSZKj63VAEOSaEA.png

As you can see, there is a HUGE change in the speed and I don't know what's causing this.

Remarkable Information:
This only and only happens on my PC.
Wi-Fi signal that my PC receives is pretty strong.
I'm guessing the issue occurs due to either a virus or a stupid adjustment I made prior to the occurrence of the issue.

My PC's Stats:
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-4210U CPU @ 1.70GHz 2.40 GHz
Installed RAM: 8.00 GB
System type 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor
Graphics Card: Nvidia GeForce 840M

Any kind of help is appreciated.

Ralston18

Titan
Start with the above suggestions.

= = = =

Then, if necessary, the objective becomes discovering what changes when the PC performance decreases.

That 10 minute "delay" may be a clue.

On your PC use Task Manager and Resource Monitor (use both tools but only one tool at a time) to observe system performance, up to, including, and beyond the 10 minute window.

Get a sense of what system resources are being used, to what extent (%), and what is using any given resource.

My thought that there is some background task being launched at start up and/or triggered after 10 minutes.

Some app that is buggy or corrupt. Or just making some effort to backup, update, or simply "phone home".

Check Task Scheduler. Look for anything being triggered and launched based on some 10 minute mark.

It may take a bit of time and effort on your part to get a sense of how to use the tools and understand what the tools are indicating.

There is no rush. Just be methodical and observant. Do not jump to conclusions.

And there are other things that can be done as well.

One step at a time.....

= = = =

Also:

Post the make and model information for modem and router (or modem/router if combined).

Run "ipconfig /all" (without quotes) via the Command Prompt. Post the results.

Note: you should be able to copy and paste the results. No need to retype it all.