Question Why does my phone not detect 5g wifi?

j0hnny30

Prominent
Jul 18, 2018
Hi all,

I have an interesting problem and I cannot figure it out. I have At&t gigabit fiber connection. On Ethernet can get 800/800 speeds. On 5g most of my devices can get 200+/200+ speeds. On 2.4 the speeds are terrible, maybe 10/10.

I live in an apartment building on the 8th floor and I can detect a ton of wifi signals which is why I'm guessing why the 2.4 is so slow(channels overlapping?) even with an excellent signal.

Now my real issue is my new lgv60 thinq phone I just got. The 5g wifi only works after I restart my phone and continues to work for maybe an hour or two. After that it can't detect any of the 5g networks in the apartment complex. After a reboot I can detect my own and a few others but once the issue starts it cannot detect no 5g wi-fi whatsoever.

I've checked advanced settings and reset all my wifi settings to default on the phone, manually added the 5g SSID but still won't work unless a restart my phone constantly.

I don't see how this can be a router issue because it happens in other locations where 5g is present.

Also any suggestion on how to speed up the 2.4 network speed? Should I lower the transmission power from 100 significantly? Even next to the router the 2.4 is poor speeds with any devices I test it with. I've changed channels and no help there either.

RealBeast

Titan
Perhaps you are confusing 5GHz wireless and 5G service. Your phone is 5GHz capable (N or AC wifi). You may need to enable it or perhaps your router 5GHz is disabled?

Your phone is also 5G capable if you have a provider with 5G service in your area and you are paying for 5G.

To setup your preferred wireless network for 5GHz you should download and read the manual for the wireless section of your phone.

j0hnny30

Prominent
Jul 18, 2018
Soery, I should have been more specific. My phone 5G service works just fine. My router 5GHz also works properly. Many devices are connected ay this moment and also have no issues connecting more and more devices.

My issue is my phone loses the 5ghz wifi and switches to cell data after a while(after 1-2 hours of a phone reboot) Or it will switch to my 2.4ghz wifi which is kinda slow. 5ghz wifi will not work on my phone or anyone else's 5ghz wifi unless I restart my phone. Airplane mode doesn't help reset it either.

May 31, 2020
Hi all,

I have an interesting problem and I cannot figure it out. I have At&t gigabit fiber connection. On Ethernet can get 800/800 speeds. On 5g most of my devices can get 200+/200+ speeds. On 2.4 the speeds are terrible, maybe 10/10.

I live in an apartment building on the 8th floor and I can detect a ton of wifi signals which is why I'm guessing why the 2.4 is so slow(channels overlapping?) even with an excellent signal.

Now my real issue is my new lgv60 thinq phone I just got. The 5g wifi only works after I restart my phone and continues to work for maybe an hour or two. After that it can't detect any of the 5g networks in the apartment complex. After a reboot I can detect my own and a few others but once the issue starts it cannot detect no 5g wi-fi whatsoever.

I've checked advanced settings and reset all my wifi settings to default on the phone, manually added the 5g SSID but still won't work unless a restart my phone constantly.

I don't see how this can be a router issue because it happens in other locations where 5g is present.

Also any suggestion on how to speed up the 2.4 network speed? Should I lower the transmission power from 100 significantly? Even next to the router the 2.4 is poor speeds with any devices I test it with. I've changed channels and no help there either.

I just got my new LG V60 and I am having the exact same problem with my 5 gigahertz routers. All my other devices can see my 5 gigahertz channels even my wife's new Apple 11. But for whatever reason the LG v60 refuses to see these frequencies. I'm thinking I might have to open up a problem ticket with LG.