[SOLVED] Why does not my extra ram sticks work?

Jamppandeerus

Prominent
Aug 12, 2019
Hello, a friend gave me 2x4GB ddr3 sticks, and I decided to add another 4GB to my pc so I could have 12GB ram, but when I tried starting my pc, my monitor did not get any signal, but after i took off the extra sticks and used my original 8GB ddr3, my monitor got signal, the 8GB stick speed is 1600mhz but I don't know the other sticks speed, I know it is not a good idea to mix ram memory, but I don't know why it is not working, my Mobo is Asus P8H61M-Pro and it should support 16gb of ram. Thank you! The 8GB stick is from kingston and the other ones: the other one is samsung and the other one is some chinese one.

Solution
Let's do this step by step.

Put your old ram back in and confirm everything works correctly.

Remove your old ram and put in only the new ram, observing the proper slots for banking according to your motherboard manual. Confirm this works correctly and note the speed and timings of each module for future reference.

Add the 8gb module to one of the remaining slots and see if it boots. If not, try the other slot. If it works, run memtest on the system to confirm all the memory is good. If it does not boot, you won't be able to run with all 3 modules unfortunately.

Remove your old ram and put in only the new ram, observing the proper slots for banking according to your motherboard manual. Confirm this works correctly and note the speed and timings of each module for future reference.

Add the 8gb module to one of the remaining slots and see if it boots. If not, try the other slot. If it works, run memtest on the system to confirm all the memory is good. If it does not boot, you won't be able to run with all 3 modules unfortunately.

Solution

Jamppandeerus

Prominent
Aug 12, 2019

My old ram works in the first slot (I have two slots) but I have not tried it on the other slot yet