Why does removing RAM fix 'not booting' issues?

gijoe50000

Distinguished
May 27, 2013
So, I have a self build watercooled PC, (components listed in the footer) and an old nx7300 laptop, both of which have the same problem of no display at startup. By no display I mean they don't boot into windows, ie, the pc has a repeating 'ticking sound' and the laptop has a repeating flashing of the caps lock button, which doesn't happen at normal boot.

There's no display at any time, no bios screen etc..

On both of them, the only way to get booted properly is to remove a stick of ram for a few seconds, and then replace it again.

I've been having the issue with the PC for about a year now, and it's just started happening with the laptop. It's weird that I'm having the same problem on two totally different systems!

I'm wondering if anyone knows why removing ram would solve the issue? I mean, if something is broken shouldn't it be broken always?

It doesn't get as far as windows to load drivers so I'm assuming it's not an os issue, since if you had no hard drive in the computer you'd still get a display telling you that you had no hard drive.

If it was a 'static charge' issue, wouldn't holding down the power button dissipate it? How do the computers even 'know' that I removed a stick of ram and put it back in? Maybe it's something to do with the bios battery power flow?

Anyone?

gijoe50000

Distinguished
May 27, 2013
Don't think it's a ram issue, at least not on the pc anyway, because it happens with 3 different sets of ram (not at the same time!). I can also resolve the problem by just adding a stick, if there's a free slot. On the PC, I think it's referred to as the 'Gigabyte cold boot issue' but as far as I know it's never had a proper diagnosis or solution. And I recently put a new battery into the laptop (3rd party, cheap).

I suppose it could be two different issues with the same result: 'boot process not getting as far as the display' but it's weird that messing with the ram always sorts it out.

I've run several memory tests on both and never found any problems..

The laptop is an old cheap one I bought off ebay and I upgraded the cpu, ram, battery. Was running fine until I put in the new battery so that might have something to do with it alright. Once they're up and running there's never any problems with either of them.

when you put the new battery in did you reset the BIOS to default settings? the ram timing settings may have gotten messed up

gijoe50000

Distinguished
May 27, 2013

Laptop:
I did, after a while. There wasn't much that needed defaulting though, You can't manually change the timings in the bios or anything. Just to confirm though, by battery I mean the power block battery, not the little roundy CRxxxx battery. :)

PC:
Resetting the bios doesn't usually solve the problem, sometimes it does. Sometimes the bios won't even reset using the 'shorting pins' method, or even removing the bios battery. Weird.. That's half the reason I was thinking it might have been a short somewhere.

zezuzaza

Commendable
Dec 17, 2016
Q: I'm wondering if anyone knows why removing ram would solve the issue? I mean, if something is broken shouldn't it be broken always?

Answer: First you need to know the basic what is RAM. RAM is Random Access Memory. It is a hardware device that allows to store information and retrieved on a computer. If the computer is turned off or removed RAM for a few seconds, it cut the volt that supply to the RAM that connected to the BIOS. As long as the RAM is connected, BIOS will automatically detect the specification and capacity of the memory with the help of battery 3V BIOS installed to the motherboard.

When the memory corruption occurred, BIOS will not detect the RAM and act as RAM is not installed but the RAM socket installed thus the BEEP POST will not triggered.
When memory is not there, the BIOS cant operate to generate and read the files on HD with the RAM helps. RAM is used to store information to do the work for access the HD in look for OS. Long story short, RAM is like a WORKSTATION in office to operate when all the task was gather together before give it to CPU to register the task.

When you removed the RAM for a few second, you cleared the information that stored inside the BIOS. When there is no RAM, then no display. Of course for sure no boot up to the windows to access the OS. So, memory is important. To keep it easy to understand, it is like you having an exam and you have to study to pass the exam. This is short-term memory just only to pass the exam. What if i ask you, are you remember all the subjects that you had study after 10 years later? Of course not. That is what take you here to who you now. It is same concept applied in computing as well. It is the process.
THIS IS HOW COMPUTERS EVEN 'KNOW' THAT YOU REMOVED A STICK OF RAM AND PUT IT BACK. It is a flip-flop process.

It is not easy to say if something is broken, it should be broken anyways. As long as your circuit board can operate and all the component inside the PIC in microprocessor good, it is called working. If those two motherboard or CPU broken, then it is totally called broken. When only your RAM is broken, it is just a certain part that broken. It is hardly to say that CPU and motherboard broke so easily. The one that broke so easily were RAM, Power Supply Unit and Hard Disk.

It is not an OS issues and DONT NOT INSTALL CCLEANER OR OTHERS REGISTRY DEFRAG. DONT USE IT. IF YOU USE IT, YOU ONLY BROKE YOUR WINDOWS OS. Keep it simple. Just natural. Use windows administrative tools if you need help.

It is not a static charge. If you got a static charge to the motherboard, it will totally completely definitely certainly mostly broken. You cant even on your computer if static charge apply once. If do, just throw it away and get a new motherboard but you still successful to access your windows after remove memory.

Need to remind you that, ALWAYS TURN OFF THE COMPUTER AND UNPLUG THE POWER CORD FROM THE POWER OUTLET TO PREVENT HARDWARE DAMAGE. MAKE SURE THAT THE MOTHERBOARD SUPPORT THE MEMORY. IT IS RECOMMENDED THAT MEMORY OF THE SAME CAPACITY, BRAND, SPEED and CHIPS BE USED. For more information, please read your manual of motherboard before use your laptop or PC.

LASTLY, It is something to do with your bios batter power flow. BIOS BATTERY is to stored the information when there is no power outlet supplied. If you want to know if the BIOS BATTERY problem, you will see the clock date and time is not properly accurate after you installed your OS. It is indicate that your BIOS BATTERY IS OK when everytime you turn ON your PC, your clock date and time is accurate and precise.

Thank you. Hope this will answered most of your question.

Have a nice day.

If you have had the same problem with 3 different sets of RAM then you probably having a motherboard issue, or you have the worst luck in history when it comes to buying RAM. If you have 4 slots use the other bank for your RAM. Question were all 3 sets the same brand and model?

gijoe50000

Distinguished
May 27, 2013

"worst luck in history" lol!
Two sets are 2x4GB GSkill Ares 1866Mhz & 2400Mhz, and third is a single 4GB 1866Mhz no-name ram, or at least not a popular brand. They all worked fine in my previous system though (AM3+). I can mix the GSkills and oc to ~2200Mhz no problem, but the problem happens no matter what configuration, sticks etc that I use. It's probably the motherboard alright I'd say.

Laptop:
I just heard something bouncing around inside the laptop a few minutes ago there. I took it apart and found a screw bouncing around inside. It may very well have been shorting out something. Seems to be booting fine again today too with the old battery installed again. Think I'll blame the screw or the battery for now unless it happens again.

Might rebuild my PC too when I get a chance, maybe see if the motherboard is shorting out somewhere too.