Question Why has my RTX 3060 suddenly just dropped in performance

Oct 21, 2023
I have made 2 bad decisions, for one, getting a laptop, and for two, it being an HP laptop (no offense to anyone who has one but I personally don't like them) with a RTX 3060. My 3060 when I got it was far beyond what I expected for the laptop's price, especially for August 2020 (yes this is a 3 year old laptop) and cost ~$1,500.

Anyways, onto the main point, I don't know what has happened to my laptop but I have seen anywhere from a 25-40% decrease in performance in the same games on the same graphics settings since I got it, with cyberpunk being the worst. I used to go 55-60FPS on RTX: Ultra, now I get anywhere from 20-25FPS at most during the day. But after about 5 minutes of playing the game gets up to 40-45FPS. I am thinking about just converting this laptop into a desktop chassis and upgrade some parts if it comes to it but that will be unlikely, and I don't even know if that is possible.

Here are the full specs if it helps:
Model Name: HP Omen 15
CPU: Ryzen 7 5800H (3.2 GHz)
GPU: RTX 3060 Mobile 6GB
RAM: 16GB DDR4
Storage: 512GB SSD (Not sure what gen of NVME, cannot find how to check)
Screen: 15.6in 1080p 144hz

Any help will be appreciated. Even if it is a dumb idea, I will still see if it will work. I am all out of options at this point.

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

You might want to see if your laptop has any BIOS updates pending. Once checked, check to see that your OS is up to date. Following that, use DDU to remove all GPU drivers, then manually reinstall with the latest GPU drivers sourced from Nvidia's support site, in an elevated command, i.e, Right click installer>Run as Administrator.

Misgar

Respectable
Mar 2, 2023
I can think of several things that might affect GPU performance over time:-
1). Windows security updates / NVidia driver updates
2). Blocked cooling fans causing earlier thermal throttling
3). Time to renew thermal compound on GPU?