Why has my storage suddenly decreased and how can I fix it?

TheRealDJDuckVenom

Commendable
Dec 10, 2016
Hi There,

Today I noticed that DOOM needed an update before I could play. I couldn't update it because it said I didn't have enough space. This confused me because I remembered haveing around 20 - 15gb of storage left on my SSD which is my C drive and the update was 8gb. I then looked at my storage and I saw it had 4gb left. I'm very confused why. I install all of my programs to a separate HDD and I keep my files there to. The only thing that is on my SSD is Windows 10, DOOM, GTA V and portal 2. But the thing that confuses me is that I had 20-15gb left on my SSD with all of those games and windows 10 on it. So what is taking up all my storage.

Any help is appreciated

-Archie

P.S I have a 256gb SSD and I have tired ccleaner

TheRealDJDuckVenom

Commendable
Dec 10, 2016

It said it was 8gb but that's not the problem, the problem is that i randomly lossed 10 - 15gb on my SSD

I do not use ccleaner so can you confirm if it removed any old restore points and previous versions of files. Windows has some built in disk cleanup features that it may be worth a using.

Some parts of the OS(such as restore points) do not show in WinDirStat. If you run it as an Admin, it should show more.

TheRealDJDuckVenom

Commendable
Dec 10, 2016
Ok, I think I know what caused it but I got my storage back to 18gb which was about where it was before. I deleted my paging file and re setup my paging file on my other drive. I then disabled hibernation which deleted it's file. Special thanks to USAFRet for telling me to get WinDirStat as that helped me to see what was taking up my storage.

bernatman

Reputable
May 2, 2015
If You pirate in anyway then it could be that. I Do not pirate in anyway and never will but i have seen it happen to a friend. when downloading torrents sometimes your torrent client eats up memory then returns it when you quit the app.